Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 19th, 2014 14:00

Integrate OpenManage with vCenter

I'm having a hard time integrating OpenManage with vCenter. Im only integrating one host (using the single free license). As far as I can tell, all the pieces are in place, but I fail at the last part when performing an inventory (see attached screenshots). The error message says "An Exception occurred: Failed to get iDRAC IP for host ". I've verified the credentials a millions times, the credentials are the same for both the ESXi host and the drac.

When performing a test, it says the following:
iDRAC Creds: Fail - Unable to contact iDRAC
Host Creds: Fail - Unsupported System

I have the following:
PowerEdge T710 BIOS Version 6.1.0
Drac Enterprise fw Ver 1.96 (the version on the screenshot is before i upgraded the drac fw)
VMware 5.0.0, 623860
OMSA 7.4 (installed on the esxi host)
Dell VC Plugin 1.7
vCenter Server (appliance) 5.5

• 

8.4K Posts

March 20th, 2014 08:00

Joeo,

Here is a walkthrough I created on using OMSA with ESXi.

Instructions for installing OMSA on ESXi 5.

This is for the ESXi host.

Download the Dell OpenManage Offline Bundle and VIB for ESXi 5

en.community.dell.com/.../download.aspx

Log onto a Windows machine on the same network.

Type in the IP of the ESXi server in a Internet Explorer window.

Download the VI Remote CLI tool, or Vsphere. Those tools can be downloaded right there from the webpage that comes up.

Installing the offline VIB bundle

Copy the OMSA 6.5 VIB to the ESXi host (/var/log/vmware or /vmfs/volumes/ )

Run the following command from the vSphere CLI prompt:

esxcli.exe --server software vib install –d

Example:   C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>esxcli.exe --server 10.180.57.109 software vib install -d /var/log/vmwar/Dell_OpenManage_ESXi_OM650-offline_bundle-467660.zip

Enter username: root

Enter password:

Installation Result

Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the   changes to be effective.

Reboot Required: true

VIBs Installed: Dell_bootbank_OpenManage_6.5-0000

VIBs Removed:

VIBs Skipped:

Reboot, Check Software > Advanced Settings for UserVars.CIMvmw_OpenManageProviderEnabled should already be set to 1

Verify OMSA VIB on ESXi 5

esxcli.exe --server software vib list

Example:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>esxcli.exe --server 10.180.57.109 software vib list

Enter username: root

Enter password:

Name                    Version                             Vendor  Acceptance Level  Install Date

----------------------  ----------------------------------  ------  ----------------  ------------

Dell-Configuration-VIB  5.0-0                               Dell    PartnerSupported  2011-10-05

Dell-License-VIB        5.0-0                               Dell    PartnerSupported  2011-10-05

OpenManage              6.5-0000                            Dell    VMwareAccepted    2011-10-05

That installs the server side of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is for the workstation -

Download OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node version 6.5 from Dell’s support site (not the OpenManage Server Administrator Web Services under the ESXi downloads)

ftp.us.dell.com/.../OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-WIN-6.5.0-2247_A01.10.exe

On a separate windows machine install OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node and choose ‘Custom’ install.

When choosing features make sure Server Administrator Web Server is selected (If installing on a desktop it could be the only option).

Once the install is complete, double-click on the server administrator icon.

On the login page Enter the ESXi server ip address, use root for the user, and the  root password. Make sure to check the option to ignore certificate warnings.

Done! You should be able to access the OpenManage Managed Node Web Interface.

Let me know how it goes.

17 Posts

March 20th, 2014 10:00

Also, the OpenManage provider is already enabled, but i guess im perhaps using the wrong bundle.

(not sure why my first response needed a mod approval)

17 Posts

March 20th, 2014 10:00

Chris,

First off, i was able to access the ESXi host using OpenManage Managed Node from a Windows host with the bundle that i had installed (7.4), i just couldn't integrate with vCenter. Are you saying that i simply used the wrong VIB bundle? In any case, i installed the 6.5 offline bundle and will reboot after hours.

My ultimate objective is to be able to get hardware status alerts. In the Windows world, i could use OpenManage Managed Node to write windows events for which i can setup alerts (using RMM tools). I wanted to check out the vCenter integration.

17 Posts

March 20th, 2014 14:00

Chris,

First off, i was able to access the ESXi host using OpenManage Managed Node from a Windows host with the bundle that i had installed (7.4), i just couldn't integrate with vCenter. Are you saying that i simply used the wrong VIB bundle? In any case, i installed the 6.5 offline bundle and will reboot after hours.

My ultimate objective is to be able to get hardware status alerts. In the Windows world, i could use OpenManage Managed Node to write windows events for which i can setup alerts (using RMM tools). I wanted to check out the vCenter integration.

• 

8.4K Posts

March 21st, 2014 13:00

Correct.
Also in regards to wanting email alerts. You can use Open Manage Essentials and get alerts from multiple systems.

You can find the link below.

OpenManage Essentials 1.2 - http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01569770M/1/OpenManageEssentials_1_2_A00.exe.exe

17 Posts

March 31st, 2014 11:00

Chris, I haven't had a chance to respond until now. Using the correct Vib did it, im now able to use the vCenter OM integration. In general, when using the support page to download software (using the s/t), what should I look to download in an ESXi environment. In the "System Management" section under ESXi, I have multiple OM downloads.

17 Posts

March 31st, 2014 11:00

Also, is it possible to enable SNMP on the T710 (or any PowerEdge server for that matter), to use SNMP management software to query hardware status and receive traps? If yes, how do I configure it?

• 

8.4K Posts

March 31st, 2014 12:00

You can using OpenManage Essentials,link in prior post, for SNMP. This guide will walk you through configuring it for ESXi -

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics/esuprt_software/esuprt_ent_sys_mgmt/dell-opnmang-essentials-v1.2_User's%20Guide_en-us.pdf

No Events found!