Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

February 7th, 2006 17:00

OMSA 4.5 fails port connectivity troubleshooter on ports 80 and 1311 - now what do I do?

I'm installing IT Assistant 7.1 and OMSA 4.5 on several PowerEdge servers for the first time.  They're all running Windows 2003 standard server SP1 and are very similar boxes.  On discovery, some of the servers are recognized as servers, others are classed as unknown.  The "troubleshooter" screen finds everything in order for the unknowns except the Port test.  Neither port 80 nor 1311 talk on some of the servers.  (It feels a little strange to be able to manage drive arrays on remote machines while being incapable of doing it on the local server!)  Searching the manuals and web site hasn't uncovered anything addressing how to approach this issue.

I looked closely at one of the problem servers using TCPVIEW.  It showed that OMAWS32.EXE was listening on port 2706.  So I cranked up the troubleshooter, pressed the configuration button to set the port to 2706, and it passed the test.  But I can't find how to make the port 2706 persist?  As soon as I leave the troubleshooter screen, it forgets about the new port.  Next time I bring up troubleshooter, it's looking at port 80 again.  And why did it go for 2706 - and will that be the port it always uses?

I'd very much appreciate someone taking a moment to explain resolving this port problem.

12 Posts

March 21st, 2007 21:00

I am having the same issue with port connectivity on a server showing up as UNKNOWN but it is runninig OMSA 4.5. I go to the trouble shooter and port 80 is the default and does not work. Change the port to 1311 like the other working servers default in the trouble shooter and it tests fine along with ping, snmp, dns. But once you close the troubleshooter it shows up as unknown again? Where should I begin to look now? Thanks anyone that can help.

JHawk

291 Posts

March 22nd, 2007 04:00

First of all, I'd recommend using a newer version of IT Assistant (ITA) and OMSA unless you have a compelling reason not to do so, even though it may not be related to your problem. The latest version available is ITA 8.0.1. In fact, using the newer version of ITA, you could push OMSA to all your servers, instead of installing manually on each of them.

Regarding the issue of servers not getting classified properly:

ITA and OMSA both run their own web server and support respective browser based interfaces.

(1) 1311 is the default port used by OMSA's web server. This is used to connect to the web interface of OMSA, including remotely. But it is not used for discovery.

(2) ITA's classification of a device under Servers group is not directly related to connectivity on 1311. ITA communicates with OMSA using SNMP or CIM (as configured in the discovery wizard). If the server running OMSA is still getting classified under unknown, a likely reason could be some firewall that is preventing ITA from communicating with it, or a mismatch in SNMP community names, or a wrong password for CIM.

(3) Port 2607 (not 2706) is the default port used by ITA's web server. If you can successfully log-in to ITA, this port is not the cause of any problems.

(4) You could use the troubleshooting tool in ITA to check SNMP and CIM connectivity (whichever you are using for discovery). When you open the troubleshoot tool by right clicking a device, the default value for Port connectivity is determined by where the device was classified. If you opened the tool for a server, the default value is 1311, if you opened for an Unknown, it is 80. You can however configure it to whichever port you want to test.

(The port numbers mentioned above are all default values; in case you changed them during installation, use the appropriate numbers).

It would help if you could provide results of SNMP and CIM connectivity tests. I'll once again recommend checking for any possible firewall blockage or incorrect SNMP configurations.

12 Posts

March 22nd, 2007 16:00

Thanks for the reply OMNavigator

I guess to start I should clear some things up. I just found this post and it had the same porblem I thought I was having but after your reply I think I may have somehting else wrong. I am using ITA vesion 8 on my workstation and have OMSA 4.5 on my PE  2450. I believe those are the latest version for my equipment. I  have a couple other PE 4400 with OMSA 4.5 being discovered fine I think the only difference with the ones working is I have not configured the DRAC II manually but the one PE2450 I do have it set up and running on the network. I think at one point I did have ITA discovering the server when it was installed on a different server but after some reading I read how ITA may be better off on a workstation. Now what ever I do I cannot get the 2450 discovered. I have the same SNMP name as the other servers with and have security set to read/create and the same community name for the trap and added the IP address of my workstation. Here are the results from the troubleshooter showing the SNMP working. I have also created a Domain Admin for CIM and also a local admin on the server with the same name and it still does not work.

CIM
Connected to - Windows Name Space, Server Name Space.
Failed to connect to - Client Name Space, IPMI Name Space

Name Resolution
Resolved to - XXXXXX.XXXXXXXX.XXXXX.org [XX.XX.X.XX]

Ping
Test Successful

Port Connectivity
Port 80
Unable to establish a connection with the port on the target device
Port 1311
Test Successful

SNMP

Connected using the Get Community Names - XXXXXXXXX
Connected using the Set Community Names - XXXXXXXXX
Connected to the agent software(s) - [cminventorysnmp, NA], [intelnic, NA], [mib2, NA]

I appreciate the help and if there is anything I can do to help you understand more please let me know. I will double check my SNMP settings and firewall but if other servers are being discovered would that still be a likely cause?

JHawk

291 Posts

March 26th, 2007 04:00

I have following recommendations:

(1) Since CIM test results includes Server Namespace, you may disable SNMP discovery and choose only CIM discovery. First remove the discovery range (this will remove all the devices associated with it). Then add it again using the Discovery Wizard, and make sure you disable SNMP. Select only CIM for discovery.

OR

(2) Successful SNMP test should include an agent OpenManage Server Agent. Since I do not see any such entry in your test results, probably there is something wrong with the OMSA installation. Try re-installing OMSA, and remove the device and perform discovery/inventory again on the Discovery Range.

12 Posts

March 26th, 2007 13:00

Thanks for the Help OMNavigator but unfortunatly neither of these things worked for me.

(1) I removed the device and then deleted the range and did another Discovery Wizard with the IP address of the computer, no SNMP, CIM only and it still showed up in the unknown devices.

(2) Previous to your reply I found some post mentioning removing the SNMP password by uninstalling OMSA and before the reboot to run OMCLEAN then rebooting. I also uninstalled SNMP before both of those and after the reboot I reinstalled SNMP followed by OMSA 4.5.

Is there something else I can try to get this to communicate with ITA it is not a vital server to our envirmoent so I can shut it down or restart with almost no notice to the users. Thanks Again.

JHAWK
No Events found!