Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

January 13th, 2018 14:00

OMSA ESXi and the Managed Node install

We have a small fleet of ESXi hosts running on R730xd hardware. We can install the OMSA ESXi VIB but it's my understanding that we'll also need to install OMSA Managed Node somewhere in order to have a UI. We tried to install OMSA Managed Node v9.1 for RHEL 7 on a RHEL 7 VM running on ESXi, on the R730xd but the setup.sh fails with

"Unsupported Server... OpenManage 9.1.0 installation cannot continue.. Exiting !!"

Is this NOT what we're supposed to do? The other option might be to use OM Essentials, but that only installs on Windows. We'd really like to be able to leverage a Linux-based management node.

For those who are running Linux guests on ESXi, can you use OMSA and if so, how?

2 Posts

January 15th, 2018 08:00

Hi there!

I was using the RHEL7 version but otherwise I think it's the same software:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=4PWD2

What I noticed is that setup.sh tries to run a check program that's likely not returning the right information.

My output from running supportscripts/prereqcheck/smbios-sys-info-lite

Libsmbios:    2.3.1

Error getting the System ID:    unknown error.

Service Tag:  VMware-

Express Service Code: <10-digit int>

Asset Tag:  No Asset Tag

Product Name: VMware Virtual Platform

BIOS Version: 6.00

Vendor:       VMware, Inc.

Is Dell:      0

OEM String 1: [MS_VM_CERT/SHA1/ ]

OEM String 2: Welcome to the Virtual Machine

I'm guessing that's the cause of the installer failing. As this is a VM running on the ESXi host, is there a way for that information to pass through to the VM? Something in the VM configuration for ESXi maybe?

• 

8.5K Posts

January 15th, 2018 08:00

Hi,

Was this the version that you were using? http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=H5PK8 It should work with an R730xd. You may also want to try an older version and see if that works.

• 

8.5K Posts

January 15th, 2018 10:00

Add the following line to the configuration file (.vmx)
 SMBIOS.reflectHost=TRUE 

And see if it will let you install it.

No Events found!