Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 17th, 2017 10:00

Programatically connect to iDrac Virtual Console?

Is there a way to connect to the iDrac Virtual Console via a racadm command? or directly by navigating to a url? Or some other way?

I connect to the Virtual Console frequently on a bunch of different servers and just want to speed up the process. Having to log into the web interface and connecting that way is just too slow. 

Would be nice if I can just run a racadm or navigate to a bookmarked url to initiate the connection. 

• 

6.2K Posts

August 17th, 2017 14:00

Hello

I'm not aware of a method to perform a direct console connection. OpenManage Essentials has an option to launch a virtual console, but you are still prompted to log into the iDRAC first. The console is less secure than the web server connection, so it can only be launched from an authenticated web server connection. If a direct console connection were possible it would be a security risk.

Thanks

December 29th, 2018 07:00

Hi,

Is it possible to open an iDrac virtual console using PowerShell or other scripting methods? Credentials are to be supplied! In Windows e.g. you can open a virtual console of a VM by a simple command. Example: &"C:\windows\system32\vmconnect.exe" local host vmname. I hope a similar method is available for the iDrac.

• 

631 Posts

February 25th, 2022 17:00

Hi,

I do not see any commands in the racadm manual that would allow this. https://dell.to/3M3x8TN

1 Message

February 25th, 2022 17:00

I need connect iDRAC virtual console programatically with PowerShell to input some boot options when boot the guest OS.

Any solutions from Dell?

4 Posts

March 24th, 2022 00:00

Could Dell provide one similar solution like HPE iLO:

How to access HP’s ILO remote console via SSH – Keeran's Blog (marquis.co)

The user can ssh to iDRAC IP address and then type one racadm subcommand like 'textcons' to connect to the KVM virtual console. such feature would help a lot to connect to the virtual console  programatically with PowerShell Posh-SSH.

4 Posts

March 24th, 2022 01:00

Just tried, looks 'racadm console com2' command works to connect to the text console.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

March 24th, 2022 01:00

racadm prefix is not required. You can type "console com2" in SSH prompt to get serial redirection. What iDRAC FW you have on the server?

March 24th, 2022 22:00

hp raphat 234, 532...whats nothing

Enterprise Engineer, 2017 no settup, 2021 settup disk laptop

2017 hacked tivi SCTV router cisco 

whats settup consolo errro ?

digital locked erro key ?

4 Posts

March 25th, 2022 11:00

my iDRAC FW version is 5.00.10.00.  looks 'console com2' command is not documented in the guide.

4 Posts

July 14th, 2022 09:00

Looks racadm command 'console com2'  could not connect to the console of booting screen.

For DevOps purposes, I need use a program to install a Red Hat ISO automatically on Dell iDRAC , and in the boot screen, the program need input some keyboard events to select the option of 'install OS' and input kernel parameters.

racadm 'console com2' do not connect to the console of boot screen.   anybody know how to connect to boot screen console with racadm? 

• 

8.4K Posts

July 14th, 2022 09:00

Yanshg,

I am not certain that is an option. Regarding the Virtual Console, I think you are saying that when you are connected via the Virtual Console, you have no ability to perform keystrokes needed to select to boot to the iSO you have? Is that correct?

If that is the case then it will come down to how you are connecting. Would you confirm how you are connecting via Virtual Console (Java, HTML5, Activex, etc)? I ask as most the Virtual Consoles will either have a Macros drop down with frequently used keystrokes, or an option for Keyboard passthrough in settings. 

Let me know and we can go from there. 

No Events found!