Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 18th, 2013 16:00

R610 BIOS Update from linux

Hi again fellows!

Now after googling a lot, here I am again. I need to update my R610 servers BIOS, of course, without rebooting the systems and from linux debian.

All the information I found on linux is confuse, some guys use lmbios to run the images, others use the iDRAC7 Interface but I hafe iDRAC6 and I can't access it's web interface, I can only access to OMSA 7 Web GUI.

How do you guys update the BIOS from linux? I already downloaded the image.

Thanks in advance

• 

6.2K Posts

October 19th, 2013 13:00

Hello xgonzalo

You can update the BIOS using OpenManage Essentials: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/1989.openmanage-essentials.aspx

The easiest day is to just use a DUP and update through the iDRAC. Why can't you access the web interface of the iDRAC?

The BIOS will not update until the system restarts, so why is it so important that you perform the update without a restart? If you can't get the iDRAC web server to function then it would probably be best to boot to a Linux live CD that you can run the .bin from like RHEL or CentOS. Other methods for performing updates are going to be community supported on Debian.

This is the community support site: http://linux.dell.com 

Thanks

24 Posts

October 20th, 2013 21:00

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your response.

"The easiest day is to just use a DUP and update through the iDRAC. Why can't you access the web interface of the iDRAC?" -> I have no clue why, the service seems to be started and I configured the IP for accessing it via WEB but when I open the browser I only get an blank screen (with 200 HTTP response, no internal server error, which is really weird).

The Open Manage that I have installed is 7.1 the latest I could find on the debian repository.

• 

6.2K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 12:00

I have no clue why, the service seems to be started and I configured the IP for accessing it via WEB but when I open the browser I only get an blank screen (with 200 HTTP response, no internal server error, which is really weird).

The iDRAC does not require any software or services to be running on the server. It is also not dependent on OMSA. Configure the iDRAC network settings in the iDRAC BIOS(CTL E) during boot. If you already have it configured and are still encountering issues then add it to your trusted sites. Are you getting any kind of errors during boot regarding the iDRAC like an initialization error? It is possible for the server to come online without the DRAC.

Thanks

No Events found!