Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2011 09:00

Suggestions for future versions of the Dell Management Plug-In

Please place suggestions for new features on this thread.

Thanks!

7 Posts

March 16th, 2011 10:00

Ability to use a Dell host without local storage (disks and controller) but with an SD-card for ESXi install :)
( I get the error that the tool cannot 'update raid topology')

7 Posts

March 16th, 2011 10:00

By the way, is there a forum on the Dell Community website? I can't seem to find it..

27 Posts

March 17th, 2011 08:00

Do you feel that the community website would be a better place to have a forum than the tech center, or should we have both?

Thanks

Eric Kuzmack

27 Posts

March 17th, 2011 08:00

"Ability to use a Dell host without local storage (disks and controller) but with an SD-card for ESXi install :)
( I get the error that the tool cannot 'update raid topology')"
This is on our roadmap. We are still finalizing the planning, so I don't have a timeframe, but we are shooting for having this in the next 12 months.

7 Posts

March 21st, 2011 02:00

I do think the Community website is a better place for this tool, forum posts and topics would be sell 'hidden' there.

Is there a work-around to use this tool with servers without any local storage (other that the 2GB SD Card with ESXi)? I'm kinda at a loss right now because I can't use the tool..

27 Posts

March 21st, 2011 07:00

"I do think the Community website is a better place for this tool, forum posts and topics would be sell 'hidden' there.

Is there a work-around to use this tool with servers without any local storage (other that the 2GB SD Card with ESXi)? I'm kinda at a loss right now because I can't use the tool.."
community: Feedback heard - we're looking into that.

SD card: For deployment of a new server to the SD card, there isn't a workaround until we add that support later this year. But other than that, the remainder of the features for the plug-in should work just fine. If you'd like to pass me more details on what you are looking for, feel free to send me an email at first_last at dell.com so it won't be a public discussion.

thanks for your feedback!

1 Message

May 11th, 2011 18:00

Is there a timeframe for the release of the update that will allow esxi to be deployed with the plug-in to SD cards?

1 Message

May 31st, 2011 06:00

"community: Feedback heard - we're looking into that.

SD card: For deployment of a new server to the SD card, there isn't a workaround until we add that support later this year. But other than that, the remainder of the features for the plug-in should work just fine. If you'd like to pass me more details on what you are looking for, feel free to send me an email at first_last at dell.com so it won't be a public discussion.

thanks for your feedback!"
Is there any possibility to use the Hardware Profile with ESXi-hosts with only a SD-Card.
Seems it;s not possible to make a Profile from a reference hosts with no local storage (apart from the SD-Card)

Will it also be possible to use (part of) the ESXi SD-card in the future to stage firmware updates ?

27 Posts

June 6th, 2011 08:00

"Is there any possibility to use the Hardware Profile with ESXi-hosts with only a SD-Card.
Seems it;s not possible to make a Profile from a reference hosts with no local storage (apart from the SD-Card)

Will it also be possible to use (part of) the ESXi SD-card in the future to stage firmware updates ?"
There was a bug relating to HW profiles and the SD card that is fixed in v1.0.1 that should solve the profile & SD card problem.

As for firmware updates, those are deployed via the iDRAC, so there is no reason to stage them on the SD card. If you would like to stage your firmware updates without actually applying them, you can do this by selecting the middle option in the firmware update wizard, which will stage the firmware but not reboot the server. The next time you reboot the server, the firmware will be applied.

thanks!

Eric Kuzmack

27 Posts

June 6th, 2011 08:00

"Is there a timeframe for the release of the update that will allow esxi to be deployed with the plug-in to SD cards? "
I don't have the exact timeframe. We will be releasing v1.0.1 shortly which will not support deployment to the SD card. We are looking to support it in our next release, but we can't commit yet if that feature will make it in or not. I can say that it is pretty high on the priority list.

Thanks

Eric Kuzmack
No Events found!