Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 17th, 2014 16:00

VRTX CMC stuck at acquiring IP

I've got one of the VRTX chassis with two blades installed.  Now, I'm not sure what happened, but I was logged in to the CMC web interface and enabled DRAC for each of the blades, then I lost the ability to connect to the CMC.  It goes straight to the switch management console.  On the front LCD, CMC is never able to acquire an IP.  I can't figure out what I've done.  Any help and suggestions and criticisms are greatly appreciated!

February 3rd, 2014 07:00

Yes.  I'm not sure what was wrong, but after connecting to the console and doing a reset to factory, it acquired an IP and I was able to start configuring it again.  I suspect it was a VLAN setting that I flubbed when I was setting up the network.  I was much more careful this time.

• 

6.2K Posts

January 18th, 2014 09:00

Hello Chris

I suspect you have an IP conflict on your network. What was the IP address of the CMC? When you enabled the iDRACs did you leave them on default, set them to DHCP, or set a static IP address?

I would suggest that you shut down the modules/blades and then disconnect them to turn off the iDRAC. The CMC should then be able to acquire an IP address. Go into the CMC and change the static IP to something else.

Thanks

January 19th, 2014 07:00

I left it set to default, so everything should be set to DHCP.  I will try shutting everything down and disconnecting the blades.

January 20th, 2014 06:00

I tried as you suggested and the result was the same.  No IP acquired.  I also tried using the LCD to statically configure the IP for the CMC and also assigned static IP's to the iDRACs in a completely separate subnet.  The CMC is still stuck at "Acquiring IP".  I have the CMC plugged in to an isolated port on the router with its own subnet assigned.  

If I power on the chassis, then the internal switch grabs an IP from the correct subnet and I can connect to it's web interface, but still no CMC.  I'm not even able to ping the IP that I assigned to the CMC.

I think my only recourse at this point is to connect to the console port and reset the CMC to factory defaults.

• 

6.2K Posts

February 1st, 2014 15:00

I think my only recourse at this point is to connect to the console port and reset the CMC to factory defaults.

Did this change anything?

The issue sounds like something with the switch configuration or something else past the CMC. Have you tried direct connecting a laptop to the CMC to see if it can communicate?

Thanks

June 16th, 2014 15:00

How did you reset it to factory?

June 16th, 2014 20:00

I connected to the serial connection with a serial cable and reset the configuration with the racadm racresetcfg command.  It pulled a new IP via DHCP and I was off to the races again.

June 17th, 2014 09:00

Thank you i will try that.

June 19th, 2014 09:00

-Connected to serial DB-9 USB nothing came up changed the speed from 9600 to 115200: no luck!

-Removed the CMC module from slot 1 to the second slot still nothing...

-LCD still showing: IP Acquiring :emotion-9:

-Dell couldn't figured it out...they suspect it's the controller on the mobo.

-Getting replacement parts today. 

-How much would it cost them to install a tiny reset button just to reset the CMC? :emotion-11:

June 19th, 2014 10:00

I did the same mistake and it ended up creating a "VLAN" and after than it was just impossible to get back in...

Thank you i hope so too...

June 19th, 2014 10:00

A reset button would be great!  My issue was that I had screwed up and checked an option in the switch configuration that I shouldn't have.  One little checkbox that hosed the entire CMC.

So I actually had to track down a USB serial connector very quickly to fix the problem.  

Hopefully the new hardware will fix your issue.

July 3rd, 2014 14:00

Hello,

I had the same issue. Turns out Dell had to come out and replace;

-CMC module

-Control Panel

-PERC

----------------------

Try this:

-Set CMC to DHCP then reboot

If that doesn't work:

Open your VRTX

-Try changing your CMC module from slot 1 to slot 2.

----------------------

Good Luck!

1 Message

July 3rd, 2014 14:00

Hi All,

Got a brand new VRXT with 4 hosts as a demo set.
Configured statis IP's for Chassis, hosts and switch.
Used default VLAN Tag that was 1, all working ok.
Configured VLAN tag 103 for all, then all worked ok.
Reconfigured VLAN tag to 1, then I can not access chassis anymore.
I can access with no problem all hosts and the switch but not the chassis.
Reboot - done
Power off -done
Manually reconfigure the fixed IP (noticed that default IP came there) - done

Still no success. Chassis is unreachable.
Is there any solution or just console and reset?

Thank you,

2 Posts

April 12th, 2020 03:00

Hii,

I have the same problem, what is the command to reset the cmc to factory default?

Kind regards,

Stan 

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

April 13th, 2020 02:00

Hello Stan,

Check this article: https://dell.to/2V40kSd

Regards.

No Events found!