Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2014 06:00

iDRAC7 KVM keyboard and mouse not working in WinPE 5

Hi. We have a strange problem here. Deploying servers remotely via iDRAC. When we boot via PXE to a WinPE 5 image (WS2012R2), keyboard and mouse are not working. When we boot WinPE4 (WS2012 (non-R2)) or older, it works fine.

The PE image is working fine, I've verified it in a virtual machine where I can use kb+mouse just fine.

What could be the problem? Some Java incompatibility? Or some iDRAC kb+mouse redirection problem regarding the latest WinPE?

I've tried this in Firefox (since I can't access the iDRAC at all from IE11 - it won't let me access HTTPS website with self-signed certificate at all).

We cannot use older version of PE, it has to be 5. The servers in question are M620s.

24 Posts

February 4th, 2014 06:00

I've managed to get IE11 to display iDRAC GUI correctly, but the problem persists, so I assume this won't be ActiveX vs. Java plugin problem, but something different.

6 Posts

February 4th, 2014 11:00

Same problem here. ONLY when booting from PXE and using WinPE (we have a WDS), the mouse is not working. Sometimes I get it to work by switching the console from Native to JAVA or the other way around, sometimes by re-flashing the iDRAC with the same firmware.

24 Posts

February 4th, 2014 23:00

dagwinstox, so you have a working keyboard?

24 Posts

February 5th, 2014 00:00

I spoke too soon, after a reboot, it doesn't work again :(

24 Posts

February 5th, 2014 00:00

I've got it working after updating iDRAC FW to 1.51.52 (from 1.51.51), which was released on 29th Jan. Not sure if it was the newer fw or the re-flashing that helped.

6 Posts

February 5th, 2014 02:00

No keyboard, no mouse. Sometimes it works after shutting down the server and booting PXE again, but not always.

Re-flashing sometimes helps, even with the same firmware version....

1 Message

February 5th, 2014 11:00

Map the WinPE ISO image as virtual CD and boot the server with the ISO resolved my issue. Keyboard and mouse working now.

6 Posts

February 6th, 2014 01:00

That is an option, but we using Windows Deployment Services, so it kind of defeats the purpose... :-(

Still hoping Dell can resolve this with a firmware update.

183 Posts

February 11th, 2014 11:00

If you click multiple times in the virtual console while WinPE is booting the mouse and keyboard will work.

183 Posts

February 11th, 2014 11:00

I am seeing this issue also.

24 Posts

February 12th, 2014 09:00

If you click multiple times in the virtual console while WinPE is booting the mouse and keyboard will work.

I've tried that of course, but that didn't get it working for me. Also, booting WinPE as Virtual CD is not an option for me, since the boot process is initiated remotely by SCVMM.
Can anyone from Dell comment on this issue?

6 Posts

February 14th, 2014 03:00

Clicking multiple time while PE is booting also didn't work for me. The only thing that worked every time is to close the virtual console, "update" the DRAC firmware (even with the same version as the existing firmware), logon again after the firmware upgrade has finished and re-launch the virtual console. I can than pick up where I left, this time with mouse and keyboard working.

990 Posts

February 14th, 2014 08:00

All,

We have received this request and are working on an update that will be released soon to address these issues you and others are experiencing. We would suggest as a temporary solution to  back-flash your iDRAC from 1.51 to 1.46 to resolve for now. 

24 Posts

February 17th, 2014 02:00

Thank you for the information Geoff, at least now we know the problem is not on our end.

6 Posts

February 27th, 2014 05:00

Hi Geoff, I flashed the firmware on 5 systems to 1.46.45 (build 4), but still the same problem: no keyboard or mouse when booting from the network into WinPE. Flashed them again with 1.51.52 and now I have keyboard and mouse and can continue from where I left off. We are re-installing 50-60 systems, so there is quite an amount of extra work and time lost with this, I hope Dell finds a solution soon.
No Events found!