Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2018 02:00

iDRAC9: impossible to modify Fan Response for 3rd Party PCI cards

Hello all,

We are facing an annoying issue with our brand new T640 when we try to put Nvidia 1080Ti cards in it: all the 6 fans dedicated to PCI slots are running full speed.

After some fruitful searches, we found that this is a somewhat default behavior of Dell servers when inserting 3rd party PCI cards, but we also found that this default response can be modified using some 'racadm' tricks (see here and here). We found that it's also possible with some IPMI raw commands as mentionned there

Unfortunately, none of these tricks works.

When using 'racadm':

racadm get System.ThermalSettings.ThirdPartyPCIFanResponse
  ERROR: SWC0244 : Invalid Fully Qualified Device Descriptor (FQDD)

When using 'ipmitool', it says that the command is not recognized...

Please help us fix this issue.
Cheers,
Michael

• 

6.2K Posts

February 27th, 2018 11:00

Thank you for the service tag.

That command is not valid for an iDRAC9. You can reference the iDRAC9 RACADM CLI guide starting on page 229. The PCIe Linear Feet per Minute commands are covered in that section. The LFM control can be disabled. It is set to automatic by default. Set to automatic the behavior will be to increase the LFM if a third party device is detected.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/idrac9-lifecycle-controller-v3.00.00.00/

You may also be able to modify the fan response in the web GUI discussed in FAQ 10 of this article on 14th generation thermals:

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20444245/

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

February 26th, 2018 09:00

Hello

Please send a private message with your service tag to ensure we have all appropriate information on your system.

Thanks

February 27th, 2018 02:00

Hi Daniel,

I just sent you a private message with out Service Tag.

Hope you could help!

Cheers,
Michael

March 1st, 2018 09:00

Thank you a lot Daniel!

Out T640 is now much quieter. For those interesting in the solution, here is the list of required 'racadm' commands:

racadm get System.PCIESlotLFM // List all available PCI slots
// For us, only the third one was of interest
racadm set System.PCIESlotLFM.3.LFMMode 2 // Custom

After a reboot, all the PCI fans were running at 12%, which is almost inaudible.

We also tried to modify this property using the iDRAC WebGUI as mentionned here. We were able to see that the 'PCIe Airflow Settings' was set to 'Custom' on the startpage, but there was no modifiable option in Cooling ->Fan Overview -> Configure Fans.

We still have a question: After setting the LFMMode to 'Custom' or 'Disabled', can you ensure that the fan will still adapt their speed to the temperature, as they should normally do?

Anyway, thank you again for your very helpful response.
Cheers,
Michael

• 

6.2K Posts

March 1st, 2018 10:00

@Michael.A wrote:
We still have a question: After setting the LFMMode to 'Custom' or 'Disabled', can you ensure that the fan will still adapt their speed to the temperature, as they should normally do?

This is answered in FAQ number 3 of the 14G thermal document linked previously. There are no configuration options available that will allow you to stop normal fan response from occurring. The options available only allow you to stop the potential over-cooling of third party fan response or create a custom over-cooling. No option will allow you to stop or reduce fan response below normal operation levels.

Thanks

November 26th, 2018 08:00

Hi Michael - We are trying to enable two GTX 1080 Ti on Dell T640 Tower Server. The problem that we are facing is that as soon as we restart the system after installing the drivers, the drivers disappear and we are not able to enable the GPUs. I know that GTX 1080 Ti isn't compatible with T640 but I am sure that there must be some workaround as I see you using those. Can you please help us figure out this? Thanks much!

June 7th, 2019 04:00

I tried this thread on our R7415 but to no avail.

We have an R7415 with a really like GT730 GPU in it that came out of an R630 and functioned fine but on this model I can't get it to put the fans at any less than 100% it just refuses to accept any other value. 

I've contacted Dell pro support who tell me there is an ipmi command but the software team are not willing to share it.  

Any ideas would be really helpful.

• 

6.2K Posts

June 7th, 2019 09:00

@ChrisWilson2019 

The LFM option discussed in this thread allows you to disable extra cooling. When unsupported hardware is installed that the iDRAC does not have a thermal profile for it will be cautious and over-cool. If you don't feel that is necessary then you can disable over-cooling with the commands discussed.

Disabling over-cooling will not stop the system from normal fan response. GPUs create a lot of heat, the fan speeds throughout the system should increase to remove that heat. So, I would expect an increase in fan speed whether LFM response is adjusted or not.

If there is an issue with the thermal profile then the troubleshooting steps would be:

• Enable Collect System Inventory on Reboot
  • Remove power connectors for about 60 seconds to drain volatile memory
  • Use LifeCycle controller to wipe iDRAC or other methods to reset the iDRAC to defaults

Those steps will allow the hardware to be detected again, clear any configuration that is resident in memory, and create a new configuration file. If there are issues with old settings not be overwritten or updating then those steps should help fix that problem.

Thanks

1 Message

October 28th, 2019 10:00

Here is the RACADM command you need. First to see the current settings and then to change it

See Current settings

racadm -r ipaddress of the draccard -u dracusername -p password get system.thermalsettings.thirdpartyPCIFanResponse

Change

racadm -r ipaddress of the draccard -u dracusername -p password set system.thermalsettings.thirdpartyPCIFanResponse 0

9 Posts

November 17th, 2019 13:00

Will this work with iDRAC9 Express, or do you need the full Enterprise license?

Also, will changing the thirdpartyPCIFanResponse value to enable use of third-party PCIe cards have any effect on the ProSupport warranty/service?

1 Message

November 18th, 2019 22:00

Hello, Daniel, I'm using T640 to add 4 rtx2080ti, and the same problem occurs. Install omsa in Ubuntu 18.04, and use racadm set System.PCIESlotLFM.8.LFMMode 2 There will be an error PCI3022: Unable to adjust the Airflow Linear Flow per Minute (LFM) settings of the PCIe slot because the LFM settings can be adjusted only for installed cards that are identified as third party cards. Is there a solution?

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2019 03:00

I'm a novice. I don't know anything. But I also met the problem that you met before. Can you send me a detailed solution flow? I'm looking forward to your reply. Thank you!!!

October 27th, 2020 09:00

Is there any way to make an R7515 go below 42% PWM? This seems quite excessive for a base config. The server is blowing ice cold air out the back at 3x to 4x the audible volume of multiple 2 socket 12th gen servers combined.

October 27th, 2020 11:00

I'd reckon 30% of idle power consumption is just fans then. Pretty silly...

The tech manual states "quiet enough for office environment in typical and
minimum configurations. The system is sufficiently quiet where the sound blends into the environment."

Dell's office must be much louder than mine. Is that quote just a bulk copy-paste oversight from a different server manual that properly manages fan speed?

• 

3.4K Posts

October 27th, 2020 11:00

Hello,

no you cannot modify the fans speeds, it is managed by the idrac automatically.

Thanks

Marco

No Events found!