Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2014 19:00

A little stylus insight, please.

I have a Venue 8 Pro with the new stylus. Can someone explain the various cursors I've observed on the screen while using the active stylus and how to switch between them. First there is a small circle with the crosshairs on the outside on the screen. Then there are some arrows. I may be missing others. What do these cursors signify, and how do I switch from one to another? Thanks.

3 Posts

March 15th, 2014 20:00

I just need a complete stylus for dummies handbook. Have never used one before. I can write with my fingertip on my screen, but not the stylus. What is the button for? How do I get this thing to work? Very frustrating there is no instructions with it or any place really to go for guidance.

915 Posts

March 15th, 2014 22:00

The use of the stylus depends on the particular application--the stylus itself does nothing unless an application/software makes use of it.

Having said that, in Windows and many programs, you typically can select with it (just like with your finger, but with more precision) and right-click with it (to right-click, press its bottom button and click on the screen; or hold the stylus on the screen (no button press) just like you would do with your finger). 

Writing programs that use the stylus include Windows Journal and Microsoft OneNote.  And drawing programs include Paint and the FreshPaint app.  Try them out and experiment with the menu options.

As to the stylus' operation, it turns on and shuts down (after a small bit of inactivity) automatically, based on proximity (or not) to the tablet (and, I think, it will stay on if the tablet is in connected standby as opposed to a full off)--and so you may want to keep the stylus away from an "on" tablet if you're not using the stylus, to avoid battery depletion.  There is no manual on/off button.  And the function of the stylus' buttons again depends on the app/software--in Windows, when the bottom button is pressed and you click the screen, you get a right-click; and in some drawing/writing programs (such as Journal), the top button, when held, will switch on an erase function. I'm afraid you'll need to experiment a bit--but, there are only 2 buttons.   ;) 

Perhaps those with more than my scant experience can offer more detailed help. But perhaps this gives you a start!   :)

16 Posts

March 15th, 2014 23:00

Any insight on the different cursors that are shown on the screen, what they do, and how you switch between them? Making me crazy. Thanks.

915 Posts

March 15th, 2014 23:00

Any insight on the different cursors that are shown on the screen, what they do, and how you switch between them? Making me crazy. Thanks

I didn't respond earlier, because I think I'm just going to confuse matters more . . . .

I don't get any cursor, unless I hold the stylus bottom button down, in which case a circle appears where I am; also, if I hold the stylus to the screen, that circle will get drawn and the right-click menu will appear.  I assume that both of these are supposed to assist the user in understanding where the pen is on the tablet and what is happening.

However, if I turn on "Mouse Keys" under Ease of Access Center/Make the mouse easier to use (under the Control Panel on the desktop side of Windows), I will get a tiny cross-hairs circle showing where the stylus is on the screen--again, I assume, to help the user.  I'm not sure I like the extra "tick" on the screen and so have turned it off.  (Note:  when I turn this feature on, sometimes an arrow will appear instead; after I tap the screen a first time, the arrow gets replaced by the tiny cross-hairs; also, if I turn the feature off, it does not go away for me until the tablet is turned off or put into standby.)

If you're getting the small cross-hairs and don't want it, it may be through the Ease of access/mouse setting. 

And so, have I confused you enough now?   ;)

915 Posts

March 21st, 2014 15:00

Personally, I would not wait for an uncertain update.  I'd contact Dell for a replacement (as you've seen, some styluses seem just fine--hopefully you'll get one).

91 Posts

March 21st, 2014 15:00

At least you guys are getting it to work for you.  I have the latest rev A01 and this thing works for a minute and then goes to sleep.  if I unscrew it and take the battery out it and reinsert it then it works for a few minutes and then I need to repeat.  Battery reading is down to .92 so it is draining even though i have used it less than 3 hours. Not sure if I should return or wait for a firmware update.

Come on Dell at least let us know if there is a problem or not.

8 Posts

March 24th, 2014 10:00

I have a Venue 8 Pro with the new stylus. Can someone explain the various cursors I've observed on the screen while using the active stylus and how to switch between them. First there is a small circle with the crosshairs on the outside on the screen. Then there are some arrows. I may be missing others. What do these cursors signify, and how do I switch from one to another? Thanks.
I see the same issues on my DV11P. The various icons appear randomly, depending on the software I have been using. There does not seem to be any logic to it that I could see. I think I have seen 3-4 different icons including a non-existing icon!

16 Posts

March 26th, 2014 19:00

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I have the little hand icon right now. Can not figure out what the hell is going on, and I'm usually pretty good with these kinds of things.
No Events found!