ChrisHarvey
1 Copper

Re: ATTN: UK O2 Streak Customers - Post 2.1 Update Syncing Issues

I STILL CANNNOT SYNC MY PHONE WITH MY PC - I HAVE NEVER FAILED TO DO THIS WITH ANY SOFTWARE BEFORE!!!

0 Kudos
DELL-Amy B
2 Iron

Hi John,

I want to make sure we are on the same page here, so please bear with me as I verify your situation.

1.) How did you back up your data prior to the 2.1 Android OS update? What application did you use? Did you backup your data to the SD card?

2.) Following the 2.1 OS Android update, did you installed the latest Dell PC Suite from the link I provided above with no issues?

3.) Following the 2.1 OS Android update, did you install the application you used to create the backup and restore your data from the SD card to the device?

Thank you,

Amy

0 Kudos
DELL-Amy B
2 Iron

Hi ChrisHarvey,

Can you tell me what application you used to backup your data prior to the 2.1 update and new version of PC Suite? 

Thanks,

Amy

0 Kudos
DELL-Amy B
2 Iron

Hi Mystreak,

What application did you use to backup your data to your SD card prior to the 2.1 update? Were you able to download the app after the update and have you tried using that application to restore your data?

Per the update messaging found here (http://www.o2.co.uk/dellStreakupdate), users were instructed to download an application to backup data to the SD card prior to the update. Then download that app afterwards to restore your data.

"In preparation for the Android 2.1 update, make sure you back up all your data. Anything not stored on the SD card will be erased. Check the Android Marketplace for applications that can back up user content (like contacts, SMS, etc.) Applications can be re-downloaded from the Downloads tab in the Android Marketplace. "

Thanks,

Amy

0 Kudos
ChrisHarvey
1 Copper

Hello Amy, thanks for not abandoning us!

I used  dell pc suite 0.40 to perform backup on my work pc (XP Pro) and it worked first time.  BACKUP file on sd card and on pc (safe)  Home pc running Vista would connect to phone, and sync but backup failed (the old 0 bytes issue)

Now with clean reinstalls of dell pc suite software of vers 0.48 neither pc suite will see my phone as connected.  Both PC's can see the phone fine, and I can access the sd card no bother.

I have deleted the android drivers etc on both pc's and allowed a reinstall but to no avail.

Stuck.  Over to you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
John Allsopp
1 Nickel

Hi Amy

I carried out a full backup using the PC Suite before updating to 2.1

I updated to 2.1 and all was fine until I went to restore my phone using the PC Suite. It would not connect. It was not until I got the reply from you that there was a new version of PC Suite and the old one would not work.

Why didnt 02 tell us this? I had over 500 contacts in my phone and the information will not transfer over. Are you saying that contacts are not stored on the SD card like on my Nokia N95?

The Streak seems all too complicated if you have to download an application to store your contacts etc.

I loved my Streak when I first had it and recommended it to friends and family. I am now totally disillusioned as it has cost me business due to not storing my contacts. 02 and Dell should be aware that our business are kept on these products.

Did 02 know before hand that there was a new version of PC Suite and if so, did they know it would not backup contacts from the old version.

I know it is not your fault Amy and I appreciate you are only the face of the company but I think UK customers of the Streak have been treated terribly and think I have purchased £429 worth of rubbish

Yours disillusioned, John

0 Kudos
ChrisHarvey
1 Copper

I'm exactly the same boat as John here - nightmare not having your contacts on the phone.

I re-read this bit from Amy above and suspect this where we have gone wrong (we haven't gone wrong at all Dell has) but  only in a very SPECIFIC way.

"In preparation for the Android 2.1 update, make sure you back up all your data. Anything not stored on the SD card will be erased. Check the Android Marketplace for applications that can back up user content (like contacts, SMS, etc.) Applications can be re-downloaded from the Downloads tab in the Android Marketplace. "

We've assumed we should use the Dell provided PC Suite (as we always could rely on with Nokia software) but ACUALLY we should have used a third party app.

Cast adrift?

Umm, totally.  The whole situation is a joke.

What phone am I using for work? My trusty old N95.

0 Kudos
russmichaels
1 Copper

It wouldn't be so bad if they actually planned to resolve the problem, but as Amy has officially admitted, Dell have no intention of releasing any updates or fixes.

All we can do is hope that Android 2.2 is in fact released in December as stated and they do not mess up that release and cause us lots more problems.

Thankfully the PC Suite update has worked fine for me.

I have also noticed that the hands free mode is also rubbish since the update, I cannot use the speaker at all now as no-one can hear me.

0 Kudos
sjostro
1 Copper

I had the same problem with market place not working after 2.1 upgrade. Fix was to run Settings, Privacy, Factory data reset.

Cheers,
Ola

0 Kudos
nsaspooks
2 Iron

just ran the 2.2 update on my HTC Desire, not only did it do it faultlessly but backed up my settings and everything else and reestablished them when complete. 

So there we have it a small outfit like HTC can get it right while a multibillion Dollar company like Dell can make a complete pigs ear of the whole upgrade.

Sorry Dell, but in light of the appalling customer service total lack of responsibility I will not be moving any of my companies IT infrastructure Dell's way.

0 Kudos