Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 25th, 2013 11:00

Active Stylus Problems

I assume most people aren't using the Active Stylus or there would be more posts concerning it's erratic operation. For me this device is not worth keeping without proper Active Stylus operation. Occasionally it seem to work properly, but to often it acts as if the stylus is touching the screen even when its not. This seems to happen with all of its functions, inking in OneNote, on screen keyboard handwriting recognition, selecting icons... I have the latest firmware and drivers, I hope they are working on a fix, the last ones didn't resolve the problem.

828 Posts

February 18th, 2015 08:00

For many, the A01 and A02 versions of the stylus work just fine (I use both without problem on a daily basis).   For some, these still aren't quite right.

If you are experiencing problems with a black stylus, please contact support to get a replacement of the newer A00 stylus (black/silver).

2 Posts

January 2nd, 2014 18:00

I have the same issues. This needs to be fixed soon! Feels like I have been taken advantage of.

8 Posts

January 15th, 2014 19:00

Me Too!

January 16th, 2014 10:00

For several weeks now the Active Stylus has been "temporarily unavailable" on Dell's website. It appears a redesigned stylus is on the way. I'm fairly certain the problem lies with the stylus not the tablet. I have talked to Dell's tech support twice concerning the stylus issues I am having, the last time was about a week ago. They are sending me another new stylus (my third). Dell called me yesterday to informing me the new stylus was on the way and I should receive it in the next couple of days. I'm looking forward to this being the real fix. For me, this will be a great device if the stylus works properly. I will update this post to share the new stylus' performance.

1 Message

January 21st, 2014 16:00

12:13:19 AM     System   System 
You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
 12:13:19 AM     System   System 
Connected with Nino C
 12:13:29 AM     Agent   Nino C 
Welcome to Dell US Home Sales Chat!, my name is Niño C. I can be reached at us_dhs_chat_reply_2@dell.com. How may I help you?
 12:14:06 AM     Customer   andy 
I'm wondering when will the active stylus for the venue 8 pro be available again?
 12:14:54 AM     Agent   Nino C 
it is not available yet
 12:15:19 AM     Agent   Nino C 
and we don't have the info yet when it will be available, do you need the stylus soon?
 12:16:25 AM     Customer   andy 
well i have read great things about the tablet and would like to buy it, but I would need the stylus. Can I use a non active stylus, say from my nokia phone?
 12:17:14 AM     Agent   Nino C 
oh, that we can't assure you
 12:17:59 AM     Agent   Nino C 
but you can also find the compatible stylus for venue 8 pro at different retailer
 12:18:36 AM     Customer   andy 
when you say compatible, do you mean a different brand of stylus?
 12:19:14 AM     Agent   Nino C 
it is also a dell stylus for venue 8 pro, we don't have it here at our website
 12:20:46 AM     Customer   andy 
ok, but I'm sure you are aware of the public reaction to the stylus, that the first generation of it was very unreliable, are you talking about the same one, or a newer improved version?
 12:22:09 AM     Agent   Nino C 
no, check this
 12:22:44 AM     Agent   Nino C 
 12:23:29 AM     Customer   andy 
thats a link to a sold stylus on ebay?
 12:23:44 AM     Agent   Nino C 
yes
 12:24:34 AM     Agent   Nino C 
by the way, how soon are you planning to purchase the tablet?
 12:25:12 AM     Customer   andy 
I'd buy it tomorrow if I knew I could buy a 100% working stylus!!
 12:25:39 AM     Agent   Nino C 
great
 12:25:44 AM     Agent   Nino C 
It's my goal today to provide you with excellent customer service. Would there be anything else I may assist you with?  Smile
 12:26:43 AM     Customer   andy 
no thanks
 12:27:19 AM     Agent   Nino C 
Our Chat team strives to provide the very best levels of customer service. If you have a minute, we would really appreciate your feedback on a 1 minute survey that will appear above this chat once the session ends. My manager gets all the feedback and we use it to help our customers. Thank you for choosing Dell’s Sales Chat and have a wonderful day!  Smile Thank you for giving me the opportunity to chat with you today.  Smile

January 21st, 2014 21:00

On Wednesday Jan 15, 2014 Dell support called and told me they were sending me a new stylus (my third) and I should receive it in two or three days. This was in response to a two hour tech support call where they made some adjustments to the tablet through remote assistance which didn’t help. Two days after telling me a new stylus was on the way, Friday Jan 17, 2014 Dell support called me again to tell me the stylus wasn’t going to be available for six to eight weeks. Stating they were trying to figure out what was going wrong with the stylus and reintroduce a newly engineered one. They also offered me a refund for the stylus. I bought my Venue 8 Pro from Dell bundled together with the folio case and stylus. I told them this tablet is worthless to me without a working stylus and want them to give me a full refund for the bundled package or get me a working stylus. Monday Jan 20, 2014 I spent another two hours on the phone with Dell getting jockeyed from department to department. After explaining the dispute to six different people and getting handed off again I hung up. At this point Dell has been giving me conflicting information concerning the stylus and they don’t want to give me a refund for the bundled package.

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 11:00

I have 3 Venues, 2 11's (7130 and 5130) and an 8.  I cant get any active stylus to work on any of them.  I don't have the actual Venue stylus but I have Latitude 10 active styli which don't work.  I did the chat thing and the salesperson said that any acvtive stylus should work.  I called support and got put on hold for an hour.  Has anyone tried a non-dell or other dell model stylus?  I am wondering if this is a "special" active stylus.

25 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 13:00

It's absolutely a special active stylus.  Only the stylus made for the Venue will work with the Venue, as it uses a Synaptics digitizer.  No other device out there uses the same digitizer so it is unique and requires that exact pen.  

It had so many issues Dell is no longer selling it or offering replacements.   For awhile they were replacing bad pens with the same model, and it was really a crapshoot whether you got one that worked well or not.   Even the ones that write well have battery issues.   At this point there are rumors a new pen will be available in February or March sometime, but it's all just rumor at this point.   For all we know, Dell could just abandon the pen altogether.  

Dell has stated in another thread on here they are working to fix the issues, but so far no real communication from them about the issue and what they are actually doing.   A lot of people are losing patience with the whole thing.   This is the main long thread about the stylus: 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/p/19530352/20506022.aspx

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 14:00

Wow andymac99, that's one seriously facepalm worthy chat session right there.

5 Posts

January 31st, 2014 17:00

Check this: http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=15176. In my case, it works perfectly on my Venue 8 pro.

25 Posts

January 31st, 2014 18:00

Yes that is the real stylus.  Wonder how long these will last on there now, since people are getting $80-90 for them on Ebay...  I have two myself but I'm holding out to see if they can fix the battery issues somehow, I have one that works fine except for the quick battery drain when near the tablet.  

2 Posts

February 4th, 2014 20:00

I ordered my stylus on Dec 11, and finally received it today.  I waited patiently, as I was hoping it would work fabulously.  But, either I have no idea how to use it, or it does not work as it should.  I came on here hoping someone could help, as the only directions that came with the stylus are pictures that basically say- put in the battery, and use...

Do I need to calibrate?  Are there special settings in Windows?

February 4th, 2014 21:00

The stylus you received is the original and flawed design. Because of the problems with the stylus Dell has removed it from the website and it's currently unavailable. Dell tech support told me they're working on a new design and it should be available in March. I have spent at least 8 hours on the phone with tech support since November. It hasn't been a good experience. Because they couldn't supply me with a stylus that worked I wanted to return the tablet and stylus. I talked to a manager in customer care about this situation and she was extremely rude, she acted like my request was totally unreasonable, and I should be satisfied with this poor design. They will give you a refund for the stylus, but you can only return the tablet to Dell within 30 days.

214 Posts

February 4th, 2014 21:00

Please confirm whether or not the label on the stylus package states "REV A01" and "Mfg Date Jan 2014"

Yes, the "instructions" are an insult, and — yes there are Control Panel settings which will allow you to twealk and customize the pen's behavior. However, before undertaking your exploration of the pen's features, you'll need to download and install the several updates intended for your tablet (if you haven't already). Dell's System Auto Detect feature is a reliable way of getting all (and only) the updates intended for your particular model.

214 Posts

February 5th, 2014 03:00

Computerstuff_Marton: I'm still interested in attempting to help ohgijane — if you haven't already chased them away. Besides, if you were following the matter more-closely you would know that Dell has already been shipping the revised pen to some Venue owners for the better-part of a week...

Sorry to learn of your troubles!

No Events found!