Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 19th, 2013 18:00

Android 4.3

Receiving Android 4.3 update now on Dell Venue 8! Thank you Dell! Even more happy with my purchase now! 

13 Posts

December 21st, 2013 23:00

Okay, you people being annoyed with android updates sound like you've never used Android devices before. Android devices usually doesn't roll out at the same time. This is to prevent the same issues with those iPhone updates, in which some people gets an ETA of 90 days to finish downloading an update and having it stuck there for eternity, while some would have it finish it in 3 seconds. 

Chill, you'll get your turn. 

1 Message

December 22nd, 2013 11:00

CHEN_TSO,

I am very familiar with Android updates and realized that they stagger their roll-outs.  However, I had the same issue with my tablet today:  An update to Jelly Bean 4.3 was indicated.  I downloaded it and went thru the process of installation (1 click to download, another click to "restart and install").  However, when I clicked to "restart and install" the device did not restart at all.  It simply jumped to a screen saying the system had updated.  I restarted the device anyway and checked the device info again to find it still shows the Android version installed to be 4.2.2. 

This is an obvious bug for some, but not for others (go over to the xda-developers site and you will see this is the case).  Dell support (which is a contracted tech support company for tablets division) said on the phone to me that he believes this is "likely" a known bug and that we may have to wait for it to be fixed before we can get it. 

27 Posts

December 22nd, 2013 14:00

How can you tell

27 Posts

December 22nd, 2013 15:00

There's a post that says the update gives the tablet multiple user options

5 Posts

December 22nd, 2013 19:00

How can we tell what? If our system is still at 4.2.2 or if we got the update and it did not install? For the former, all you do is go to Settings > About tablet and it tells you your Android version. As for the latter, I watched the tablet download the 4.3 update, I pushed the button that said "Restart and Install" and nothing happened. I am just going to go on the earlier posting that this is a known bug and wait for it to be fixed.

December 23rd, 2013 01:00

4.3 is actually JB (jellybean). Hopefully we should be getting good ol KK soon! And yes.....it does have the multiuser enabled!

26 Posts

December 23rd, 2013 07:00

When I click check for updates the only thing that it does is Change the time it last checked.  This my second tablet as the first one had a bad battery. This tablet has not updated once still has software vs. 1.32 my first tablet updated right out of the box. So confused this tablet is also experiencing some unresponsive screen issues.

35 Posts

December 24th, 2013 12:00

My tablet still has 4.2.2. It was a replacement unit as my original had the unresponsive screen issue.

My coworker got a tablet at the same time I did, and her tablet got 4.3 pushed to it 4 days ago. My replacement tablet says it is up to date with 4.2.2.  Frustrating. Perhaps they are pushing it out to the first wave of tablets sold?

24 Posts

December 24th, 2013 13:00

I apologize if this question shows my lack of knowledge with Android, as I am still relatively new to it, but, does one need to register with Dell for the purchase to get the major push Android updates?  Generally, in the PC world, updates seem to find me without requiring any registration, but I was thinking perhaps in the Android world it might only be a "perk", or might be directed first to those who were registered with the tablet manufacturer

Obviously, I don't know much about how push technology works, such that they can somehow identify certain groups to supply to and not others.

520 Posts

December 24th, 2013 14:00

My tablet still has 4.2.2. It was a replacement unit as my original had the unresponsive screen issue.

My coworker got a tablet at the same time I did, and her tablet got 4.3 pushed to it 4 days ago. My replacement tablet says it is up to date with 4.2.2.  Frustrating. Perhaps they are pushing it out to the first wave of tablets sold?

It's possible Dell pulled the update for some reason, or only pushed it to a small amount of people as a test before it's released to everyone. Either way, updates are usually released in stages in case any issues pop up.

16 Posts

December 24th, 2013 14:00

Also Several people (including myself) have gotten the download, but had it not update the tablet. There are definitely issues with the tablet  and the 4.3 update

24 Posts

December 30th, 2013 22:00

It is now December 30th, and my Venue 8 Android is still indicating it is "Up to Date" with version Android 4.2.2.  This is several weeks since the 4.3 update was first reported.  Even more annoying is I just checked the Dell Canada website, and it indicates that the Dell Venue 8 COMES WITH Andriod 4.3 (implying it comes with it out of box). Unfortunately, I've run out of time to return the unit.  It has been indicated that the upgrade would improve the camera, and might improve the screen response (my screen doesn't freeze, but it is quirky, and I have confirmed it isn't the apps as I put the apps on a second tablet and they don't have that problem), but I can't wait any longer, so tonight I packed up the tablet and its going back to the retailer tomorrow. It is too bad, because I otherwise like the tablet, and got it at sale price, but it seems Dell released it a bit too early and it isn't ready for prime time yet. Since I can't check it with the new OS, and the tablet as it stands, isn't functioning well enough for my needs, (or it may even be a defective unit, for all I know), I have no choice but to return it while I am within the return period, or I'll be stuck with it or dealing with Dell warranty.

I have seen the Venue 8 32GB version advertised with up to an $80 price difference in the month since it was released, so whp knows what the price will be a few months from now when the OS is working better. Guess I'm back to waiting and seeing what come around in the next several months.

This was my first Dell purchase, and while I am impressed with the value of the product in terms of hardware, the release could have been better handled, IMHO.

16 Posts

December 31st, 2013 04:00

did you try to manually update it it to 4.3 using my guide ? http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4585/t/19538577.aspx

It's the signed official update from dell.

5 Posts

January 6th, 2014 23:00

SUCCESS!!! Checked for updates tonight and got updated to 4.3. Post if you got it! :emotion-11:

24 Posts

January 7th, 2014 01:00

For me, there were some issues with my tablet that I was unable to determine if they were due to lesser evolved software, or basic hardware issues (the response of the touch tablet, and the rear camera image quality).  I waited a LONG time for 4.3 to show up, basically, as long as I could until I had to decide if I wanted to keep the tablet or return it to the retailer.  I ended up bringing it back to the retailer since I was unable to determine if the new Android upgrade would fix the issues or not. 

So, my question to you is this: did the upgrade improve the touch tablet response, and did it add any worthwhile features to the rear camera to get better quality images from it, (better auto-focus, ISO selection, jpeg compression choices, etc), or did I perhaps make a good decision returning the it?

I liked the Venue 8 a fair amount "for the price", but I've been reading about some of the anticipated products being released at CES tomorrow, and their prices, and it seems this will be a huge year for newer technologies, and lower prices in the tablet market, including OLED screens.  So, it may turn out that the Dell Venue 8 was a great deal for a few months, while it was at Black Friday prices, but it may soon be surpassed.  The next week will tell.

Thanks.

No Events found!