Hellusay
1 Nickel

RE: Android 4.3

How can we tell what? If our system is still at 4.2.2 or if we got the update and it did not install? For the former, all you do is go to Settings > About tablet and it tells you your Android version. As for the latter, I watched the tablet download the 4.3 update, I pushed the button that said "Restart and Install" and nothing happened. I am just going to go on the earlier posting that this is a known bug and wait for it to be fixed.

0 Kudos

4.3 is actually JB (jellybean). Hopefully we should be getting good ol KK soon! And yes.....it does have the multiuser enabled!

0 Kudos
luvmysonata
1 Nickel

When I click check for updates the only thing that it does is Change the time it last checked.  This my second tablet as the first one had a bad battery. This tablet has not updated once still has software vs. 1.32 my first tablet updated right out of the box. So confused this tablet is also experiencing some unresponsive screen issues.

0 Kudos
jtmmtj
1 Nickel

My tablet still has 4.2.2. It was a replacement unit as my original had the unresponsive screen issue.

My coworker got a tablet at the same time I did, and her tablet got 4.3 pushed to it 4 days ago. My replacement tablet says it is up to date with 4.2.2.  Frustrating. Perhaps they are pushing it out to the first wave of tablets sold?

0 Kudos
1stDell
1 Nickel

I apologize if this question shows my lack of knowledge with Android, as I am still relatively new to it, but, does one need to register with Dell for the purchase to get the major push Android updates?  Generally, in the PC world, updates seem to find me without requiring any registration, but I was thinking perhaps in the Android world it might only be a "perk", or might be directed first to those who were registered with the tablet manufacturer

Obviously, I don't know much about how push technology works, such that they can somehow identify certain groups to supply to and not others.

0 Kudos
darrin99
3 Zinc

My tablet still has 4.2.2. It was a replacement unit as my original had the unresponsive screen issue.

My coworker got a tablet at the same time I did, and her tablet got 4.3 pushed to it 4 days ago. My replacement tablet says it is up to date with 4.2.2.  Frustrating. Perhaps they are pushing it out to the first wave of tablets sold?

It's possible Dell pulled the update for some reason, or only pushed it to a small amount of people as a test before it's released to everyone. Either way, updates are usually released in stages in case any issues pop up.

0 Kudos
RobTheITguy
1 Nickel

Also Several people (including myself) have gotten the download, but had it not update the tablet. There are definitely issues with the tablet  and the 4.3 update

0 Kudos
1stDell
1 Nickel

It is now December 30th, and my Venue 8 Android is still indicating it is "Up to Date" with version Android 4.2.2.  This is several weeks since the 4.3 update was first reported.  Even more annoying is I just checked the Dell Canada website, and it indicates that the Dell Venue 8 COMES WITH Andriod 4.3 (implying it comes with it out of box). Unfortunately, I've run out of time to return the unit.  It has been indicated that the upgrade would improve the camera, and might improve the screen response (my screen doesn't freeze, but it is quirky, and I have confirmed it isn't the apps as I put the apps on a second tablet and they don't have that problem), but I can't wait any longer, so tonight I packed up the tablet and its going back to the retailer tomorrow. It is too bad, because I otherwise like the tablet, and got it at sale price, but it seems Dell released it a bit too early and it isn't ready for prime time yet. Since I can't check it with the new OS, and the tablet as it stands, isn't functioning well enough for my needs, (or it may even be a defective unit, for all I know), I have no choice but to return it while I am within the return period, or I'll be stuck with it or dealing with Dell warranty.

I have seen the Venue 8 32GB version advertised with up to an $80 price difference in the month since it was released, so whp knows what the price will be a few months from now when the OS is working better. Guess I'm back to waiting and seeing what come around in the next several months.

This was my first Dell purchase, and while I am impressed with the value of the product in terms of hardware, the release could have been better handled, IMHO.

0 Kudos
RobTheITguy
1 Nickel

did you try to manually update it it to 4.3 using my guide ? http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4585/t/19538577.aspx

It's the signed official update from dell.

0 Kudos
Hellusay
1 Nickel

SUCCESS!!! Checked for updates tonight and got updated to 4.3. Post if you got it!

0 Kudos