andreoidb
1 Copper

RE: Android 5.0 Lollipop coming to the Venue 8 7840 Tablet.

Jump to solution

First off this isn't an issue and even if it was it would be a youtube/google issue. I watch 1440p content all the time. Your probably watching content not uploaded higher then 720p.  Secondly, this is incredibly disappointing for a 400$ tablet.  This isn't OS snobbery, anyone who thinks that is naive. You can't experience the tablet to its full potential without 5.0 .  Whether its SD card issues or the fact that it isn't utilizing the 64 bit architecture to the fullest to the fact its running an old version of the software. 5.1 is out and we're still on 4.4.4 for a flagship and expensive tablet, unacceptable, especially since the skin is so light and non existent.  If enough people are interested I'm thinking of porting CM12 to the Dell Venue 8 7000. I'll also be building a port of TWRP as well, before that though how do I get into recovery? I've tried a number of combinations and always just end up in safe mode.

0 Kudos
mrcleary
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Have you read this?  

forum.xda-developers.com/dell-venue/general/idiots-guide-to-rooting-7840-t3043708

And this  

opensource.dell.com/releases/Venue_8_7840_Merrifield/developer-edition/

0 Kudos
Catmanic
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I agree with your observations as well. But I am a newby on the Venue or any tablet this is my first time Got it as a gift so I plan to make the best of it. Anyway, I have been long a supporter of XDA devs - I have My Nexus 4 on rooted  Simple ASOP 5.02 is a work of art. Mumbai is a genius (all you guys are). 

0 Kudos
Zeede
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Granted, not being able to natively manage files on the SD card is annoying, but Google Play allows you to select the SD card as the download destination, and there are plenty of third party file management apps.

Yes, 64-bit would be better, but as all the benchmarks show, and real life use, the tablet runs just fine on KitKat.

The fact remains that the only other tablets as well designed and made are all Apple ones.  People keep throwing around the $400 price tag, ignoring the fact that there are no other Android tablets even remotely this premium.

I think people got used to Android tablets being cheaper than Apple tablets, and now that there is one just as premium they have to find faults in it to make themselves feel better.

0 Kudos
jspangler123
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Wait! How do i choose the SD card as the download destination?

0 Kudos
jspangler123
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I dug around and it seems like I have to change the default install location via adb access. Does this seem correct?

I found a guide on modifying USB drivers to work with the device. I have experience with flashing Lollipop onto my Nexus 7 so I'm planning to do this when I get home.

http://www.themethodology.net/2015/03/using-dell-venue-8-7000-for-android.html

0 Kudos
DanRyb
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Terry,

Another month has passed and still no word? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jspangler123
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Brian from Dell posted the other day that there's no set date yet, and when there is we'll be notified.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am afraid that it is as Brian has mentioned, I still don't have a specific date when Lollipop will be made available. I am keeping a watch on this constantly and I will post here immediately once I have any specific dates.  I thank all of you for your patience.

TB 

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
notkeeper
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I wait this thread for long time. It's almost the end of March but still no any update lollipop will come. I don't know what happen in development process. Hey you guy this is so long you know ?  You promise us lollipop will come and there is not so why. I will return this tablet if lollipop still no available at the end if March. Sorry

0 Kudos