Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2011 20:00

Another Streak bites the dust.

This tablet/phone had such promise but was so poorly designed and released that it has left a large amount of very disappointed  buyers.

For starters, the phone capabilities of this phone(Android) are far inferior to iPhone and Windows Phone 7. Android relies on free versions of third party software for basic necessities. Most notably, if you use voice dialing, you will not like this tablet's phone capabilities. The original release had no voice dialing unless you installed third party software. Since Froyo, that same software now comes with the build. It is a free version and extremely lacking. Consumers are buying a phone but with Android you get a very immature phone app with no bells and whistles. Android's best feature is, of course, it's market place. The other big two have their own market place with substantial free apps so Android gains no ground there either. Yes, it has some great free apps but so does iPhone and Windows 7.

The design of this phone is stylish but not practical. If you think you will be able to carry this like you would a smaller phone, think again. You will need a large pocket for this phone. It cannot be kept in a pocket where the phone will be sat on or where it could accidentally fall out of the pocket(while bending over for example). Most smaller phones have much better resistance to drops and pressure. I believe this is due to the size of the unit along with the flimsy casing. Most of the back support comes from the battery and the very thin tin cover. This unit's lcd is very fragile to shock and pressure. Once your damage your lcd, you cannot buy a replacement either. Dell does not offer parts for this phone.

For me, this unit was a huge disappointment. Marketed as a tablet it is truly just a large phone with poor phone capabilities. The speaker is awful and very difficult to hear callers while driving. This makes hands-free calls on speaker next to impossible. The ear-piece speaker is not much better in settings like a busy city street.

The best thing about this phone, for me, was the ability to read books, surf the net, text, and phone from a single device. Unfortunately, this device falls far short of it's potential. I haven't even mentioned the lacking battery life, hard to read browser(many sites: CNN is one example), annoying slider lock that cannot be disabled, or the fact that this "special" Gorilla Glass is a gimmick that offers only slightly better resistance to scratches at the cost of poor pressure resistance.

After owning and using this unit for 6 months, my recomendation is spend your money smarter(read: elsewhere). This was Dell's last sale to me.

No Responses!
No Events found!