Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2015 14:00

Another Venue Pro 8 not charging

I used the chat option to obtain assistance from Dell regarding my Dell Venue 8 Pro which is less than 2 years old.  Via chat I was told I had to call for support.  Today I called and was told that I would have to pay a $19 diagnostic fee then the minor part replacement would be $159 and Major part replacement would be $269.  So I've read the other posts about the Venue Pro 8 not charging and I've seen the micro A vs Micro b vs Micro AB analysis. The consensus online is that there is obviously an issue with the charging ports on these tablets.

Other than A) paying Dell too much to have it fixed or B) throwing it out the window and buying, say the HP Stream 7 for $100, do I have any other options?  It seems absolutely ridiculous to spend more money to fix the Venue 8 Pro than a brand new tablet would cost but I don't like to simply subscribe to the "buy it-trash it-replace it" culture.

I had been very happy with the product until now and instead of staying with Dell I will spend the money not on repairing the Dell product but on a competitors product. This was all around disappointing & reflects poorly on dell, both in the product and the support provided. It doesn't seem, from reading the other posts, that Dell give two hoots about fixing the issue or replacing the devices that are already out in consumers hands and not working.

TIA

1 Message

September 29th, 2015 11:00

I have the exact same problem with a Venue 8 Pro that is less than 2 years old.  I installed a new battery and it booted up just fine-- and just ONCE.  Now it will not charge.

I own three of these-- the newest one is just a week old.  Not a good product-- I think I'll send it back.

1 Message

October 3rd, 2015 16:00

I too have the same issue that the charging port is broken on a Venue 8 Pro that is less than 2 years old.  I had already decided that I will no longer be a Dell customer because of a couple laptop issues I had after I had purchased 2 Venue 8 Pros for Christmas 2013.  One is Venue is still working and I have told my Daughter to be careful with the charging port.

Well off to Best Buy for perhaps a Surface Pro.....

915 Posts

October 4th, 2015 11:00

DV8P charging port repair services available via eBay.com, for $29.95-$39.95 or so.  E.g. MYdeviceRepair, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-Port-repair-for-DELL-Venue-Pro-8-Tablet-dell-repair-/321758161917?hash=item4aea47ebfd.  It will even replace the port with a less-problematic design.

No Events found!