Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2014 19:00

Apps

Where is a good site for free Venue 8 Pro apps?  I had a good site but Repair reset everything so I lost the browser with bookmarks that I used.

179 Posts

October 26th, 2014 17:00

Still seeking sites with free apps

915 Posts

October 27th, 2014 10:00

If you're talking "Metro" apps, can't they only be obtained through the online Microsoft app store?

179 Posts

October 27th, 2014 13:00

Metro?   Not sure what that is. Tried to look it up on my DV8P but, gee, it was dead. When it came back from repair, I turned it on, saw it worked, then hit the side button above the volume button and put it away. So the battery depleted again.  Swear I didn't touch the sleep button!  I'll get it in a few hours and see what happened. Anyway, I had apps such as Firefox, WordPress, AOL news and others.  With amnesia I don't remember where I got them, just that they were free. I found a few sites but they weren't affiliated with Dell, Windows or anything official.  I never download files unless I know the site or it's affiliated with a known entity.

915 Posts

October 27th, 2014 17:00

You get the Windows apps (sometime also called, by consumers, "Metro apps"--"Metro" was the Microsoft code name for its new Windows 8 interface) from the Windows online store--there should be a tile for the store on your Start screen (unless it got deleted). Also, here's a Microsoft webpage with a link to the store.

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-8/apps#Cat=t0

And remember:

--  to put the tablet to sleep:  briefly press the single on-off button (there's a pale on-off symbol next to it) right next to the volume rocker buttons; when it is asleep, the tablet still will use a smaller amount of power each day, and so after 2 weeks, the battery may be depleted

--  to turn the tablet completely off:  hold that same on-off button down until the screen message appears telling you to pull the screen down to turn the tablet fully off (it will not, then, use power and drain the battery); or, swipe in from the right side of the screen to have the Charms bar appear, choose Settings, chose Power, and then select Shut down (or Sleep, if you want to put the tablet to sleep) 

-- if you press the Windows button (that's the button on the side of the tablet, which sits by itself--there's a pale Windows symbol next to it), that will take you to the Start screen or the last application--it will not shut the tablet off or even put the tablet to sleep (and so the tablet will continue using its battery power, til drained).  

No Events found!