Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2010 02:00

Broken screen - what can I do?

I have had my streak for 2 weeks, and the screen has stopped working. the glass at the front is perfect, but it looks like something behind the glass has broken.

I bought it from an o2 shop.

where can I get it repaired, and is it a warranty repair?

Thanks

29 Posts

July 4th, 2010 08:00

This is the second time I have heard this

The first person I heard this happen to, took it back to the o2 shop and it was replaced.

Hop fully they will do the same for you

July 5th, 2010 17:00

I would actually like to get a response from Dell on this. 

Please see the video and comments below. It appears that the "Gorilla Glass" is living up to it's name but the LCD is breaking. I've dropped my Blackberry Bold a lot and the lcd is perfect. This worries me. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuuWRB43HCE

5 Posts

July 6th, 2010 01:00

I've spoken to Dell who have been extremely good about it, and are sorting out my handset. Once again Dell proves to be the best in their field.

O2s customer service on the other hand has been utterly hopeless. They are only interested in selling their handset insurance.

3 Posts

July 6th, 2010 10:00

It happen to me today. Have dell contacted you. 02 are no help to me.

5 Posts

July 6th, 2010 14:00

The gave me a new device.

Paul-Home, 

What did Dell Advise you?

5 Posts

Ring the Dell mobile support number. 0844 444 3244

They sorted me out.

Seriously, O2 are the biggest waste of time. I have been totally put off them for life. They are so unhelpful.

3 Posts

July 6th, 2010 15:00

Thanks for the tip. Will call them first thing in the morning and let you know what happens

1 Message

July 6th, 2010 17:00

The lcd screen on my Dell Streak is also broken.  It appears 'cracked' beneath the Gorilla glass and the device is unusable.

On the outside the device is cosmetically perfect, there are no signs of damage, there are no marks, scraps on the gorilla glass or elsewhere.

My local O2 store in UK did not want to know as they said it 'looks damaged'. 

I phoned Dell today and they basically said 'too bad' you'll have to go back to O2.

I am very disapointed with Dell, I have questions about the build quality of these Streak devices.  I had an iphone for 2 years which was dropped, sat on, you name it, but it never stopped working like this streak.

The worrying thing is that there numerous similar stories like this on the net.  The gorilla glass may be good for the front if hit 'by pens' but the device appears hopelessly inadequate if knocked elsewhere.

I think Dell should recall these devices as there is obviously build quality issues.  I don't even know how mines was 'damaged' or if it even was, I just turned it on and the lcd screen was wrecked beneath the glass.

If you are thinking of buying one then I would hold back until these issues are sorted.

I am now stuck with a 18 month contract, no device and a bill for approx £400 if I wish to get another, scandalous.

July 6th, 2010 18:00

I would really like Dell's response on this. This appears to be a defect with the device. Yes, some of it is user error in drops but most of these drops (carpet) shouldn't break an LCD Screen. 

3 Posts

July 6th, 2010 22:00

If you call up 02 customer server they can collect the phone from you house address. They told me that I will get a quote if the phone is damaged. They can have a look at the device to see weather it is me or the manufacturer fault. Thats what I'm going to do. They either post the phone back with the price or fix the phone. Will update you on what happens.  

10 Posts

July 6th, 2010 23:00

Insist on your rights at the O2 shop under the Sale of Goods Act.

1 Message

July 9th, 2010 11:00

I had the same problem, rather my so called "Gorilla Glass" has a crack and it can be felt if we slide finger on the screen. This disaster happened just after a week!

Called Dell but they were not helpful in my case - they say no warranty covers "damage" to the device. To be honest, I do not even know how it happened. I have not dropped it or hit anything to it so far as I know.

Really disappointed!!!! It seems I am not the only one.

I did not find Dell service helpful at all, they were not even willing to inspect this and the lady kept on insisting that the only thing I can do is to either contact the point of contact or buy a new device. In her opinion screen cannot be repaired - is this true?

If anyone else gets any useful tip please share.

1 Message

August 4th, 2010 23:00

Dear ALL,

I have dropped my Dell Streak as well and the screen is totally broken. I bought the Streak from Dell UK and now I'm back to Australia. Dell AU does not repair or replace, and there is no shop in the market that replace the screen, so please do not buy this device as if you dropped (even just drop on the carpet) you will end up with a debit of £449 and no phone. I had it for 2 days only and it is totally useless.

If you are a staff from Dell, please tell me where I can get it fix...

Best Regards

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 8th, 2010 07:00

Bonjour,

I am part of the "I did'n t drop it but my screen is brocken !" group

My screen seems to be cracked behind the gorilla glass and I did not drop it : simply switching it on after loading it, it did not work.  The screen looked awful and I could not read anything.  I bought it in France on August 3rd, not even a week ago at the Phone House here in Clermont-Ferrand.  I will bring it to them tomorrow, hoping they will react the right way : give me a new one !

Because of your posts , guys, I have a chance they believe that I did not drop or shock it,as it is the simple truth !

It looks like a quality problem in the build.

Thanks for your testimony !

No Events found!