Jreitnauer7
1 Copper

Re: Broken screen - what can I do?

I would really like Dell's response on this. This appears to be a defect with the device. Yes, some of it is user error in drops but most of these drops (carpet) shouldn't break an LCD Screen. 

0 Kudos
jamrock47
1 Copper

If you call up 02 customer server they can collect the phone from you house address. They told me that I will get a quote if the phone is damaged. They can have a look at the device to see weather it is me or the manufacturer fault. Thats what I'm going to do. They either post the phone back with the price or fix the phone. Will update you on what happens.  

0 Kudos
LFH
1 Nickel

Insist on your rights at the O2 shop under the Sale of Goods Act.

0 Kudos
Mani1978
1 Copper

I had the same problem, rather my so called "Gorilla Glass" has a crack and it can be felt if we slide finger on the screen. This disaster happened just after a week!

Called Dell but they were not helpful in my case - they say no warranty covers "damage" to the device. To be honest, I do not even know how it happened. I have not dropped it or hit anything to it so far as I know.

Really disappointed!!!! It seems I am not the only one.

I did not find Dell service helpful at all, they were not even willing to inspect this and the lady kept on insisting that the only thing I can do is to either contact the point of contact or buy a new device. In her opinion screen cannot be repaired - is this true?

If anyone else gets any useful tip please share.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
brightboyfree
1 Copper

Dear ALL,

I have dropped my Dell Streak as well and the screen is totally broken. I bought the Streak from Dell UK and now I'm back to Australia. Dell AU does not repair or replace, and there is no shop in the market that replace the screen, so please do not buy this device as if you dropped (even just drop on the carpet) you will end up with a debit of £449 and no phone. I had it for 2 days only and it is totally useless.

If you are a staff from Dell, please tell me where I can get it fix...

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Bonjour,

I am part of the "I did'n t drop it but my screen is brocken !" group

My screen seems to be cracked behind the gorilla glass and I did not drop it : simply switching it on after loading it, it did not work.  The screen looked awful and I could not read anything.  I bought it in France on August 3rd, not even a week ago at the Phone House here in Clermont-Ferrand.  I will bring it to them tomorrow, hoping they will react the right way : give me a new one !

Because of your posts , guys, I have a chance they believe that I did not drop or shock it,as it is the simple truth !

It looks like a quality problem in the build.

Thanks for your testimony !

0 Kudos
Michwag
1 Copper

The LCD screen behind the gorilla glass has 'shattered' with white and black lines running at multiple angles across the screen. The gorilla glass has not broken. The Streak is now unusable.

My Streak was not dropped, has had nothing impact upon it and has not been in contact with water. It has been kept in the Dell leather wallet and has never been carried loose in the pocket. I just turned it on and there it was. Broken. 

I took it back to O2 who in turn have sent it to Dell to have an engineer look at it to decide what caused the break. O2 will replace it if the engineer agrees that the Streak was not subject to accidental damage or they will charge me for a repair if they think I damaged it. Now, call me an old cynic but why would a Dell engineer admit liability for a poor quality build? I could be wrong of course and the Streak is replaced without quibble.

I would like to hear from people who have experienced the same thing with their Streak. I need to hear from people whose LCD screen broke but who did not drop it or damage it themselves. If we can identify a group of people with the same 'spontaneous' screen break problem then we are all in a stronger position to have the appropriate remedy applied. Can you let me know what your experience has been?

Many thanks.

Michael.

0 Kudos
paul-home
1 Copper

I'm sad to say that they didnt in the end replace my handset. It was unfortunate that they had agreed to replace it and then changed their minds but there we go.

Its a shame, but I feel that the handset is not that delicate despite what other people in this thread have said. If you are honest, I think you will agree that the deivce will have probably had some impact.

A small warning; I bought a replacement screen on ebay. It arrived and it is indeed a brand new screen. But when I stripped down the old handset, it was simply not possible to get the old one apart intact in order to install the new screen. The replacement screens do NOT come with the gorilla glass attached. If anyone wants the new screen, do please let me know.

However, I had enjoyed mine so much, I bought another one. It was a tough decision but I in the end am glad. I instantly insured the second one! An eye wateringly expensive experience...

Good luck to you all.

Paul

0 Kudos
19apple
1 Nickel

@ paul-home: How can you accept the decision not to replace or repair the device if you are not the cause of the problem ?

I bought my dell streak in France 2 weeks ago. Got already a tiny scratch, never felt on the floor, no shock, always in its pouch.......:emotion-12:

Now also the top left side of the plastic part where the sensor is located is moving a bit

I do think there is a build problem with the streak. I love the device but it is not normal that the screen is so fragile as it is advertized

as a gorilla though screen..........

0 Kudos
johnpuddephatt
1 Copper

0 Kudos