petetop
1 Copper

Re: Broken screen - what can I do?

Hi
 I forgot to add I have been on BBC Watchdog web site and explained to them what was going on. If enough people register the problems they are having with Dell on the Watchdog web site maybe they will look into it.

Regards

0 Kudos
19apple
2 Bronze

My streak came back from hungary a week ago (was sent for repair because it was struck at DELL logo).....took 15 days for them to send back. When I opened the box, i noticed the battery cover was missing !!! impossible to power it on....I took a back cover from a person who has a streak too to test. I then noticed that they replace the french firmware with an O2 firmware !! what a pitty.....I found myself with a unusable streak after waiting 15 days ! sent an email to tell them I wanted a replacement. They agreed and since then (about 8 days) I m waiting for the replacement unit to be shipped (the faulty unit was picked up by UPS).

This is my first experience with Dell support and let me tell you that the service department is really really bad......I never experienced such problems or delays with other brands such as HTC or Nokia.

0 Kudos
nsaspooks
2 Iron

With regards the screen problems. Dell in its infinite wisdom bonded the LCD to the gorilla glass, so when you handle your streak and touch the screen and equal amount of stress and pressure is transferred to the LCD beneath. As you all know, LCD's do not cope well with pressure or mechanical forces of any kind. This is a major design flaw.

If you run your fingers along the top and bottom edge of the screen you will notice that it has not been seated correctly but is twisted. This is a problem with all existing Streaks in production.

So next time your display fails remember this thread and use it to get your Streak repaired or replaced at no charge.  I have alerted Dell to this problem and a number of other Design flaws.

Currently the Dell Streak is only worthy of a concept device status. It has to many flaws to be an end product. But with the reaction everyone has had from Dell regarding their existing  problems it might be easier to learn to walk on water than to expect a recall.. But don't give up,  I have it on good authority that walking on water has been done before so a recall may still be possible if enough people complain.

0 Kudos
Ryanjb2010
1 Copper

Ok, I've got a Dell Streak - and love it- and mine's had a cracked screen and replacement etc. What other design flaws are there (apart from the screen)? I agree, the screen is stupid as it ripples very well and too easily if you touch the screen around the edges. Would there ever be a recall? Thanks, Ryan. emoticon.Smile.title

0 Kudos
Ryanjb2010
1 Copper

Ok, I've got a Dell Streak - and love it- and mine's had a cracked screen and replacement etc. What other design flaws are there (apart from the screen)? I agree, the screen is stupid as it ripples very well and too easily if you touch the screen around the edges. Would there ever be a recall? Thanks, Ryan. emoticon.Smile.title

0 Kudos
Highlighted
j1kelly
2 Iron

It's highly unlikely that Dell would do a recall for the screens because I've yet to see any acknowledgement from them that there is a problem. And from what I've read here and in other forums Dell is inconsistent about whether the screens are even covered by their warranty.

A guy on the Dell Streak facebook page posted a link to a Streak repair place. http://www.rwsnextg.co.uk/dell-streak-repair.php

Looks like it is in the UK, but still if they are getting replacement screens there must be someone making and selling them.

0 Kudos
nsaspooks
2 Iron

I am a design consultant for a number of Military projects and no the Streak would not have passed my rigorous standards. 

The Streak is not a finished product but more of a concept beta device.

The top and bottom screen  plastics are of very poor quality and subject to stress cracks.

Apart from the Display the biggest design failure is its data/charging port. This has been left open to the elements leaving a direct route for dirt, dust and moisture ingress. It would have been pretty simple to have designed some form of port cover or followed other manufacturers by using mini/micro USB format. There is no earthly reason for Dell to have used the port style they did.

The Gorilla Glass is subject to scratching quite easily, so buy a good quality screen protector. This could have been resolved to some degree at the design stage by ensuring  the Gorilla Glass was treated with a hard surface coating ( they could have also treated it with a finger print resistant coating too, Larger screen = larger finger print magnet.

The battery cover while a novel approach will fail pretty quickly, the aluminium used is so thin its subject to stress and easily deformed.  The locking Lugs of the battery cover are subjected to constant pressure as the cover is held on with a pressure fit. This will fail after a certain number of battery openings and closings.

The carbon body finish while cosmetically good looking is not resilient enough to withstand daily use and will quickly degrade leaving your Streak with a very unattractive and patchy finish.

And we all know about the software fisco, many promises were made about the streak and what it can do, much of which has turned out to be over hyped marketing lies.

If you want to look at a very well thought out design, go look at the HTC Mozart, its both inovative and solidly built with precision engineering (The whole body is machined from a solid block of aluminium).

Will Dell issue a recall? well that all depends on us the users. If we feel strongly enough and make our views know to Both Dell and your trading standards (You did not receive a product of merchantable quality)  this might force Dell to look at the streak and ensure these faults are corrected.

So as a concept I give the Dell Streak 4 out of 10, could do much better with both materials and design approach.   If Dell are going to continue with the Streak I suspect version 2 is rapidly nearing design completion and ready to be rolled out some time next year.

I have wondered why Dell being such a large corporate computer giant would attempt to launch its latest offering in europe rather than the USA. Call my cynical, but the American publics mentality is to sue first and ask questions later, where as in europe they prefer to apologize for its failings and accept second best.

0 Kudos
Ryanjb2010
1 Copper

5 Star Answer! (As I've rated :P) Ok, I agree again and again. The HTC Mozart is brill, my battery door is awful, a bit out of place and as the battery only works when it's in place, my phone won't always turn on unless I take the back off and on, it's pathetic. The screen's awful and not a gorilla, more like a dying fly, and I agree with everything you said, there's loads of problems. So, surely it's unfair to sell this phone if Dell must have known about all these possible/definite problems? What is there to do about this, a HTC Mozart would be nice! Thanks for the great answer again! Ryan. emoticon.Smile.title

0 Kudos
nsaspooks
2 Iron

What a great Possible answer to everyones problems, ask Dell to replace your Streak with an HTC Mozart emoticon.BigSmile.title

Just one minor drawback, Windows Phone 7 OS is dreadful, its so anully retentive you could almost mistake it for an iphone. Unless MS do something radical with it to give users back some control, it will be destined for the great betamax graveyard of poorly marketed technological marvels.

Still hats off to HTC for a well thought out and innovative piece of kit.

0 Kudos
j1kelly
2 Iron

Yeah, I've not been impressed by/with windows phone 7. I like Android much, much better.

0 Kudos