Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2011 06:00

Bye Bye Dell Streak 5

I have tried hard to like the dell streak 5 with the android OS but it did not sink. The streak is a piece of good hard ware but in my opion it have the wrong OS on it. Just lay my hands on a wp7 phone and it's the best thing that ever happen. WP7  have the best UI: simple and unclutted does not need 3rd party apps to get it run smoothly  no third party laucher applications are needed it looks good and easy access to main application.  I wish the Streak 5 have had a wp7 version i would have keep mine. Will buy streak 5 again if i see it running WP7.

7 Posts

May 20th, 2011 13:00

I can accept you have different opinion and there is mine: I really think Dell Streak with Android OS is the best fit. Android is about choice - and this unique piece of awesome hardware is something we - Android users - really appreciate. People love to have A LOT of great apps on cool devices that best suits them. You can have this ONLY with Android phones. I would never buy Dell Streak with Windows Whatever.

14 Posts

May 21st, 2011 05:00

Thanks for acknowledging my opinion. Having lots of apps is great but the quality of apps and OS is greater.  We ( Windows phone users) will prefer quality to quantity.

10 Posts

May 21st, 2011 11:00

Quality and Windows do not belong in the same sentence. :emotion-5:

Seriously though the main problem with Windows Mobile is that it's of course Windows. It has a reputation for crashes, lock ups, etc as has Windows Mobile. There is an old joke that runs in the IT world "My computer said to install Windows Vista or greater so i installed Linux (or Mac OS). Android as you all well know is based off a Linux kernel.

Microsoft until now has not exerted it's weight as an OS provider towards the phone makers to produce a product adequate enough to power it's mobile OS. I had an LG Incite with Windows Mobile 6.5 and while the apps i bought for it were of high quality as are all the Android apps i bought for my Streak it frequently lagged or crashed. Some of this was the OS but most of it was the hardware.

This is a crucial time for Microsoft as it's stock is less valued than Apple's is and Google is ready to release it's own cloud based OS. Chrome OS (again Linux based). Windows is in the most dangerous place in it's history as it faces obsolence in an increasingly mobile world. So Microsoft has to have a truly knock out Mobile OS and do they?

No. While it is pretty and decorative and Microsoft has improved it's relationship and demands upon hardware it has one major flaw that makes Android dominate.

Windows Mobile does not multitask. Not truly. Notice the iPhone and iPad commercials mention multitasking but don't actually show the device itself multitasking? No phone multitasks as well as Android for me that's what i need.

There are various Mobile OS's out there and each one fits the needs of the end user. Each OS has it's greater than and less thans.

BTW Windows Mobile 7 does not support Copy Paste....really bad idea.

14 Posts

May 23rd, 2011 05:00

9 out of 10 homes are using windows

We were talking of windows phone 7 on Dell streak not windows mobile  Theses are two different OS.

(Android based off a Linux kernel) A Toyota corolla running on a part of Mercedes engine does not make it a Mercedes.

windows mobile ( it has a reputation for crashes, lock ups, etc) Not only it you uses poorly manufacture phones like the LG incite. try it on HTC HD2 or tilt 2. Many will agree the HTC HD2 is one of the best phones ever build flash it with any OS:  android or  wp7 etc and it will still run smoothly. Lots of android phones out there force closes and crash too. 

Microsoft has been producing OS for smart phones longer than Google and they have done well. Having millions of Apps does make an OS better. (Android has gain its popularity because it is and open system = not a bad idea though = we need it). What has change the game is the Apps market not the durability and stability of the OS. Those who know better don't care about apps. Most good phones comes with good enough apps that you don't need to add more.

( Windows Mobile does not Multitask) Not true, windows mobile does multitask even windows phone 7 does multitaskwith the recent update. Windows phone 7 support copy and paste.  In my opinion multitasking on phones really slow down the phone especially if it is poorly built phone. We sometimes talk too much on the OS and forget to look at the hardware it self.  We can't build a 10 storey house on a single house foundation.

After everything it is a matter of choose: There is no good and no bad OS out there. i have not seen any without it short comings. It depends on your needs and how you see it.  Now for either one to be at the top it depends on how the manufacturer markets it products, how many hands you want them to get your product, price setting Etc. You can set your product to belong only to a certain class of people.

What ever be the case I would have Prefer a Dell Streak with WP7  as the OS.  WP7 is simply brilliant

No Events found!