Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2010 11:00

DELL Venue Pro missing 256MB of RAM

Can someone please confirm or deny if the Venue Pro should have 512MB of RAM or just the 256MB they are shipping with. I have contacted tech support and after being on the phone for 2 hours no one could tell me how much RAM the device should have. Who am I suppossed to call if not Dell about their own product.

I spoke with a number of tech support personnel and got vaery different answers...

Here are the answers I received:

1. They are supposed to have 512MB of RAM (3 responses)

2. They only have 256MB of RAM (1 response)

3. Its a new product and we can't confirm either... (1 response)

4. It has a fast processor and the RAM doesn't matter... (wow, that one really surprised me)

5.The 8GIG version has 256MB and the 16GIG has 512MB (this is the same person who gave answer #4, Lakendra in tech support)

This has been such a frustrating purchase experience. I bough 4 DVP for my family and it's been a complete mess from the start. Would someone PLEASE respond with an answer?

This product has so much potential, it's hard to believe Dell would cripple it with 256MB of RAM.

Thanks,

Concerned customer

3 Posts

December 29th, 2010 12:00

I would also like to know how much RAM is supposed to be in the device. Microsoft announced this as 512MB, so there is some confusion about the specs:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/windowsphone/glance.aspx

Here are a few possible scenarios that I can think of:

1. The phone is only supposed to have 256MB.
  2. The phone is supposed to have 512MB, but some 256MB models were released accidentally.
  3. The phone actually has 512MB, but is being reported incorrectly to the OS.

Could someone from Dell please confirm the expected specifications for the phone so that your customers can know whether or not they have a faulty unit? Ambiguity on your part will only create customer confusion and distrust.

My phone info:

16GB Venue Pro

Total physical memory: 225 MB

Firmware version: 2250.1500.7004.105

Hardware version: 112.576.2.0

Thanks,

Glenn

11 Posts

December 29th, 2010 14:00

Add this to the list of responses from tech support:

They're supposed to have 512 but a firmware bug is causing the amount to be reported to the OS incorrectly. (Specifically on the 16gig devices.  I've never seen anyone with an 8 gig to verify.)  This sounds at least plausible.  I haven't seen a details screenshot from a Focus or other 512 device to know how the memory gets reported.  225 mb seems odd anyway.  That number is what is reported by DeviceTotalMemory; it's not free memory although the API docs do indicate that the number reported will be lower than the actual device memory (gee, thanks, by how much, ~10% or >50%?).

I have the 8GB model and it also reports 225MB.  Samsung Focus reports ~475MB.

8 Posts

December 29th, 2010 14:00

Add this to the list of responses from tech support:

They're supposed to have 512 but a firmware bug is causing the amount to be reported to the OS incorrectly. (Specifically on the 16gig devices.  I've never seen anyone with an 8 gig to verify.)  This sounds at least plausible.  I haven't seen a details screenshot from a Focus or other 512 device to know how the memory gets reported.  225 mb seems odd anyway.  That number is what is reported by DeviceTotalMemory; it's not free memory although the API docs do indicate that the number reported will be lower than the actual device memory (gee, thanks, by how much, ~10% or >50%?).

6 Posts

December 29th, 2010 15:00

John here is the problem with your answer... WP7 devices allow applications to use up to 90MB of RAM if the device has 256MB or less. If the device has more than 256MB the application can use all the available RAM. I also thought it may be possible the device is reporting the amount of RAM incorrectly (as you stated). To test that theory I wrote an application to use more than 90MB to see if the app crashes or not (which is what happens with apps that try to access  > 90MB on devices that have 256MB or less). And the dell venue pro crashed as expected. Ran the same test on the focus, no problem. Ran the same test on the LG developer prototype (which has < 256MB) and it crashed.

So I doubt its a firmware bug, I think the device only has 256MB. If it was a firmware bug that would still be a huge problem because when apps check available RAM via the SDK the app will get the wrong value and limit the experience on DVP devices.

So either way its a problem...

December 29th, 2010 16:00

My 8GB  phone firmware revision number is 2250.1500.7004.105, it has the crazy switching from 0G, 2G , to 3G causes the battery life to be drained in 3hours with WiFi off and Bluetooth off, the age of this phone is about 3 days.

It heats up at the lower half of the phone and it smells like burnt plastic.

There are hard crashes with the game called: The Harvest, and at the Marketplace: Apps

Ram Memory reads 225.02MB

The first drop call was, while on the phone with T-Mobile for activation and I lived in NYC; a 4G area.

When I told that to the T-Mobile rep, she said: "Sorry to hear that" lol

8 Posts

December 29th, 2010 16:00

I didn't say it isn't a problem, I said that it could be a firmware issue.  If the device only reports 256 to the OS, then it's not going to be able to use more than 256 total even if the physical memory is there, and yes, it'll crash when you try to allocate more than is available.  Similar to shoving more than 4 GB of memory into a machine running a 32 bit OS, the hardware is there but the OS can't address it, reports only what it can (generally 3.5gb), and applications are unable to make use of it.  The difference is that if the device has 512 and it's a firmware issue, then the issue can be fixed by a firmware update.  If the device only has 256 MB of memory physically present, then the only way for Dell to make it right is to ship another device with the correct amount of memory. 

I know all the documentation indicates that only 90mb is available for an application on a 256mb device, but seriously, what the heck is the rest of the memory being used for?  I wouldn't be surprised if a number of the more ambitious games were written to work in minimum spec devices and take advantage of more memory if it is available to cache more assets.  Such games will, right now, today, run better on a 512 mb device than a 256, so if the VP only has 256, it'll be going back for a refund.  If the memory is present but not addressible due to a firmware problem, I can wait it out until the issue is resolved.

December 30th, 2010 10:00

The response I got when talking to a Dell sales person (who had to refer to his "technical coach") was that the specs that Microsoft was publishing were incorrect and the device is only supposed to have 256 MB of RAM.  Personally I think dell needs to get out of the phone business... this has been one of the worst experiences I've ever had with a new device, phone or otherwise (not just talking about the ram here...)

3 Posts

December 30th, 2010 15:00

I wish we could get an official statement from Dell, not just the word of some sales guy.

6 Posts

December 30th, 2010 17:00

I agree, why is it so hard to get an official word from DELL on the RAM issue witht the Venue Pro? Also, why does every other device dispay the RAM amount on their specification page except for the Venue Pro? It seems as if DELL is hiding something, an offical word would help customers make an informed decision to keep or return the device....

Come on DELL do the right thing here...

6 Posts

January 2nd, 2011 06:00

Are we going to hear from any DELL representatives on the 256mb of RAM issue. Dell cannot do business like this! It seems like DELL is resorting to lying to sell products now. I am very upset that DELL is not releasing a statement concerning the RAM issue with the DVP. You charge $500 for this device, your customers deserve to know the specs of the product we have paid you for!

Thanks you,

Extremely Angry Customer

6 Posts

January 2nd, 2011 12:00

For the DELL reps who decide to check into the issue here is an article about the 256mb of RAM,... This is not good advertising for DELL, I hope someone decides to respond.

http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/dell-venue-pro-has-just-256mb-ram

1 Message

January 2nd, 2011 14:00

With the 'missing memory' and constant lockups on wifi, I'm expecting some kind of official response next week.  I'm really hoping that the wifi issue can be fixed in software and that the memory just isn't showing up in the tool so that they can both be fixed with a fast firmware update.  Of course, I think it's more likely that I'll be returning my DVP for a refund before the end of the week.

No Events found!