Start a Conversation

Unsolved

X0

1 Message

March 6th, 2019 12:00

Dell Active Pen paired but won't connect

I am have been using my dell active pen PN556W for the past 3-4 months and it always worked fine. I didn't use it for a few weeks and now when I try to use it, I'm not getting any response from the pen at all, even though on my Bluetooth screen it is still showing the pen is paired.

I've tried all of the usually fixes: unpairing and repairing, uninstalling the driver an reinstalling it,  updating my computer. I've even reinstalled windows to see if it helps at all. The batteries are still at 97% on the Bluetooth screen. I've uninstalled and reintstalled the active pen app, and I can't seem to connect my pen to it. 

Currently, when I press the top button on my pen, on the Bluetooth screen the pen will go from "paired' to 'connected' for a second, but then will go back to paired.

Thanks for your help

1 Message

March 23rd, 2019 10:00

I'm experiencing exactly the same thing. The pen works long time ago, and then I haven't used for a while. When I tried to reconnect the pen and computer, this is what happened:

1. Pen: I pressed the top button for some seconds and the light blinks every seconds.
  2. Computer: add bluetooth, they are paired and connected.
  3. Pen: but right after that, pen's light blinking fast about 5 times and lights off.
  4. Computer: the bluetooth menu says it's paired, not connected.

I keep trying it but it still goes connected for few seconds and then go back to paired.

Once I read a post that there are 2 different types of battery on the pen. So I bought both long ones and small ones and put them in, but it's the same. I have a couple of Dell laptop and the other one has the same situation. so I believe it's pen's issue.

1 Message

July 1st, 2019 09:00

I'm having the exact same issue. Not sure what to do. I changed the batteries with brand new ones and it stil won't connect with the laptop anymore. One day when I was using it, the pen died. I changed the batteries with new ones and the light on the pen comes on again. but it won't pair with the laptop anymore nor will it stay on very long (but my laptop says the pen has a full battery); the light on the pen, after holding the top button for a few seconds, will blink once and then blink 5 or so times in rapid succession after that first light and then it turns off again. If I were to describe it differently it would go like this (oh also then light color is the same as it has always been when working):

-Hold top Button for a Few Seconds-

Blink-...-BlinkBlinkBlinkBlinkBlink- and then the light stays off

1 Message

July 26th, 2019 04:00

Has this issue been addressed by Dell? I just started having this issue after not using the pn556W with my XPS 9365 after a few months.

3 Posts

August 28th, 2019 12:00

I have same issue. Didn't use PN556W stylus for a couple of month and it doesn't work now. Changed all batteries with no effect. My laptop is XPS 13 2in1. Thought I have to buy a new pen, but then found this forum. Any suggestions will be very welcome.

4 Posts

September 9th, 2019 13:00

Same issue here with Dell PN557W Pen.

The barrel buttons work but the Top Pen Button does not work as the Bluetooth mode is "paired" only, not "connected".

Exchanged the AAAA and the coin batteries. Turned on/off bluetooth. Removed device and added again. All without effect.

September 16th, 2019 04:00

Hello XP 08,

Please check if your machines are a part of the compatible list. Review our article here. This also lists some possible issues and solutions.

Check on the coin cell battery holder and spring within for loose connections or spring damage. Ensure the coin cell batteries are installed with the correct polarity. Download the manual here for details.

1 Message

October 7th, 2019 06:00

We are having the same issue, and when I say we, I am talking about 3 Dell 5285s and 2 5290s, all with the same issue with the pen.

1 Message

October 28th, 2019 17:00

I am having the same issues as mentioned for the PN556W....and before anyone asks YES my computer is compatible that's why I bought it! I have an XPS 9365 2-in-1. The top button works but the pen does not write nor do barrel buttons work.....It was fine before, just all of a sudden stopped after some Windows and other Dell updates....Tried re-installing drivers to no avail. Essentially I am now upset. I spent $80 for a pen that I only got to use a handful of times! Also get no support as I would have to pay $60 for them to "diagnose" the problem. Come on Dell, stand by your product. This is a joke. I use my laptop to have client's sign documents. Embarrassing for what is supposed to be a "business solution" and why many people turn to Dell in the first place.

14 Posts

November 5th, 2019 15:00

Try hold the top buttons for a long time or throughout the bluetooth pairing process. The pen is expected to say 'paired' only most of the time. It's only 'connected' when the button is pressed to conserve energy. My pen was behaving as described by most others. After this last pairing with the top button pressed for a long time, I can get the top button to trigger app launch while the 'Bluetooth & other devices' page in settings is only showing 'Paired'.

2 Posts

November 16th, 2019 20:00

Any update? Still having this issue. I only bought this pen because the tech support recommended that it is compatible with my laptop (XPS 9575 13 in 2-n-1).

8 Posts

December 13th, 2019 07:00

Hi there,

I had a similar issue with my Dell Active Pen PN579X.

However, all I had to do, was change the mode it was in. Apparently, it had switched ink modes into one that was not recognised. Does that apply to your pens?

minsche_0-1576251400129.png

1 Message

May 21st, 2020 13:00

I am having the exact same problems with my pn556w. It worked a few months ago, and yes, I have a compatible device. The pen is "paired" with my computer but not "connected." Top button seems to be working, stylus is not working. I have downloaded and installed new drivers and disconnected and reconnected the pen multiple times.

4 Posts

September 2nd, 2020 08:00

I have now have the same issue with my PN557W and Latitude 7285 2-in-1.
Everything worked fine previously but with Windows or Dell updates this was changed. Win10 Enterprise is 2004 (Build 19041.450) with all updates installed.

Problem Description:
When I pair the Stylus it will not stay connected. The barrel buttons work. But when I press the top button, the issues are there: The Windows Bluetooth dialog shows the stylus is only very briefly changing to "connected" before reverting to "paired" and the desired action that I configured in the Dell Active Pen settings dialog only occurs for about every 3rd click. For the double click action it is even a worse ratio. Both Single and Double Press are configured on key presses.
I tried removing it and re-pairing, rebooting, changing batteries multiple times, no effect.

@DELL-Siba P's comment from 09-16-2019 was checked, they are compatible and spring ok+batteries exchanged and the functionality worked 100% reliable on the same system until very recently!

@minsche's comment from 12-13-2019 does not work for me, I guess the PN557W does not have the mode switching functionality, as there is no blinking when I hold both barrel buttons for 2 seconds.

1 Message

October 9th, 2020 05:00

I also have this issue and believe I've tried "everything". Anyone from Dell interested in solving this issue that seems to happen to a lot of customers?

3 Posts

October 15th, 2020 14:00

same problem here with the same PN557W pen.  turns out, i purchased a cheap windows 10 compatible pen and paired it, same thing, but this pen, like others, has the ability to switch between modes MPP/AES.  I followed the instructions to change the mode & boom, pen works.  the issue here is the Dell active stylus pens.

No Events found!