Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2011 07:00

Dell Streak 5 Video Chat on 2.2?

I currently have the Dell Streak 5 running android 2.2 and I have noticed that in the apps for video chatting, the Streak's front facing camera does not work. The device automatically defaults to the rear camera with no option to change cameras. I know the Streak has had android 2.2 for many months now, at least for the unlocked Streaks, and I would like to know if there is going to be a solution to this serious flaw. It is quite disappointing that I shelled out $500 for a device that does not even function properly. Can anyone help me with this issue? Is there a fix? Is there going to be a fix? Or is Dell simply turning their back and pretending there is nothing wrong? 

2 Posts

March 13th, 2011 17:00

I would like to know as well.  I would actually like to see if we are even acknowleged, lol

3 Posts

March 16th, 2011 08:00

My dissappointment in Dell and AT&T is immeasurable.  The Streak had great potential but their beleagured support of this device is simply disgusting. My company was testing this product for the purpose of switching from other carriers and manufacturers.  My report? Dell does not care about this product nor does it adequately support it. AT&T cares about its customers, but cannot overcome simple hardware support from the manufacturer.  Together, they are a disaster. From the lack of video conferencing despite the hardware to no more proper calendar and contact syncing to long overdue updates that only add swirly features to the background.  In my presentations, no one sees your active backgrounds.

The sad fact is that I loved this phone.  I finally thought I had a great device that allowed me to ditch my laptop for everything but the most power demanding events.  I had hoped to stem the tide of Apple products, but that seems pointless now.

3 Posts

March 18th, 2011 08:00

Now that Dell / AT&T finally got android 2.2 to my streak I have also been trying to utilize the front facing camera for video chatting. I have tried multiple apps without success but finally came across one that works and without any fancy tweaking. You should definitely try ooVoo.  Finally proof that the Streak can video chat.

3 Posts

March 19th, 2011 11:00

I bought Dell Streak on 11 March 2011. The sales man told me that it has got two cameras. One one the front for video chatting/calls and the rear one (5M Pixels) for taking picture. After I bought it, just realised the front Camera is not working. I tried with Mirror Apps, live chats on Skype & Yahoo; but all my effort wasted.. Can anybody help me how to make the Front Camera on Dell Streak working?

Thanks & Regards,

SK Sahu

1 Message

March 20th, 2011 09:00

Dell uses a custom API for the camera, so it is taking a while for software support for the front camera. Some folks have Oovoo working now and I heard that an official Oovoo solution is coming out in the next couple of weeks.

10 Posts

March 21st, 2011 07:00

Fring now works with the Dell Streak for video calls.   They sent me an e-mail providing me with a link to the APK file.  Here is the link:

http://reg.fring.com/app/versions/FringSA2452.apk

So just clicked on this in my e-mail on the Streak it loaded up the new version of Fring, registered and all works fine.

Not sure if and when Tango might do the same - they did say they were looking at finding the solution and a new version that would work on Streak but have not heard back from them. 

1 Message

April 5th, 2011 18:00

Does receiving party have to have Fring too, or can Fring link to Skype.  For that matter, are any of these video chat apps capable of cross-connecting with others?

July 5th, 2011 10:00

The sad thing is that they advertise the phone on their web site as supporting video calls, they even tell you which programs - OoVoo and Qik,  OoVoo does not work on any android phone right now, and Qik was just acquired by Skype,  Qik supports the Dell Streak 7 but not the 5,  on top of that Skype doesn't support the OS on the Streak 5.  I have searched the web for any program that works on this phone to no avail.  I challenge anyone to call the outsourced Customer Support for Dell and attempt to get a solution, however the English language is something that is not supported by Customer Support.

10 Posts

July 5th, 2011 13:00

Fring works, haven't tried Tango for a while

No Events found!