Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2011 09:00

Dell Streak 7 USB Charging?

Installed Drivers - Verified 5v from USB port - Verified NEW USB cable - Tried several PC's

I am unable to get the charge icon animation and am not seeing the device take a charge over USB.

This is a HUGE problem as this is a mobile device with REALLY REALLY poor battery life.

Answers/Solution anyone?

6 Posts

April 30th, 2011 09:00

Called dell support because I thought for sure I had been mistaken or doing something wrong...

CONFIRMED: There is NO USB CHARGE support for Streak 7.  I promptly will be returning this device after only 1 day of ownership as with the combination of short battery life and no USB charging is just simply pathetic for a "mobile" device.

BOOOOOO DELL!!! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???

26 Posts

May 7th, 2011 20:00

I am having success charging my Streak 7 via USB (slowly) with the unit off.  You are correct that it will not charge via USB while powered on.  I agree this is a DELL "fail" and probably my only complaint about the Streak 7.

John

17 Posts

May 9th, 2011 14:00

Tablets, (not just the Streak) require 5 volts, 2 amps... standard USB ports on computers and such put out 5 volts in SOME cases, but never more than 1 amp.

1 Message

July 19th, 2011 06:00

my dell streak 7 wont charge either on USB. A friend of mine has ipad and it wont charge on USB as well (it charged slowly 20% in 5hours or so). So it seems that pads wont charge if u dont use their charger for more power

8 Posts

August 2nd, 2011 08:00

I get mine fully charged and then plug it in when in the car. Seems to stay charged if I do that, but I have a mobile power converter that allows me to plug in any normal device to the power adapters on the dash of the car (got a mommy van). The power adapter was expensive though.

August 4th, 2011 13:00

BTW- I do have that stand mentioned in the last post and d it works great.

August 4th, 2011 13:00

Dell Streak 7 w/ 2.2 - charging via USB. on a computer- BUT have success by connecting it to a powered USB hub- just disconnected the usb to the computer. You can also get something like this :www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp and the streak rests nice on it, there are 2 usb ports, one for usb connectivity and another for charging, it works.

As stated before out there, the wall charger handles more amperage.  If you want to charge via usb from a cigarette lighter adapter, you'll need to be sure you get one with a higher current. most of them out there are only running around 1 amp.  The wall charger is rated at 2 amps So you might benefit by purchasing a car adaptor that can handle dual devices, often they have a higher amperage to accommodate more than one device plugged in. Hope that helps some one..  

October 16th, 2011 11:00

I have had the product less then two weeks.  Will not charge.  plugged it to Pcs.  Nothing.  drained the battery so now i have nothing

126 Posts

October 16th, 2011 17:00

i have xps8300 which has dedicated high power usb charging port in the top tray however its 1.5 amps so is insufficent to power charging my streak7 ,in the desktop it even states not to attach any accessories which draw more then the 1.5 amps so its  plugtop chargers or highpowered usb hubs supplying the 2 amps

1 Message

November 17th, 2011 18:00

the problem is that my streak 7 charged at first in computers then stopped if i do a factory reset it starts again and stops again

No Events found!