Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2010 08:00

Dell Streak Calendar synch after 2.2 upgrade

Is it correct that after you upgrade to 2.2, there is no supplied way of synchronising Outlook Calendar with the Streak? There's no sign of it in Dell Mobile Sync. I spotted that Tasks and Notes were no longer supported under 2.2, but the lack of Calendar sync is a nasty surprise.

In general, I think Mobile Sync is going to be a step backwards for quite a few people. The practical stuff seems an afterthought to the media management functions. Dell PC Suite worked well for me.

Stephen

3 Posts

November 23rd, 2010 12:00

I use gSyncit on my PC to Sync my outlook calendar with my Google Calendar (and hence the Streak). Works like an absolute charm.

November 24th, 2010 06:00

Yes, I've decided to use Google Calendar Sync for the moment, which works fine. I'll keep using Dell Mobile Sync for contacts. However I don't really want to pass info via Google for security reasons.

4 Posts

November 26th, 2010 09:00

While I greatly welcome the Android 2.2 update, I also view this as a step backwards.  The Dell Streak was the only Android device so far that had native support for tasks and notes and provided software that would perform a full sync of calendar, contacts, tasks and notes to Outlook.

If anyone wants to sync more than just contacts, they should visit www.syncdroid.net.  There is a chart with all available sync software, what it syncs (calendar, contacts, notes, tasks), how it syncs (wireless, wi-fi, usb), the price (many free) and more.  There is also an overview of each solution.

November 26th, 2010 13:00

Yes, although some of the items listed on SyncDroid seem to be a bit flaky if you start probing - there are reviews out there which suggest some consistent issues / not quite ready. Also they seem to be pushing VCOrganizer - anyone know about this?

14 Posts

December 1st, 2010 14:00

I have now been through the same process (see some other posts from me). I have now downloaded VCOrganizer Pro to the Streak (and the free VCOrganizer SyncCenter to the PC). Once I had removed all the stuff that Dell Mobile Sync had put onto the Streak, VCOrganizer is working very well, sync'ing contacts and calendar cleanly. The trick is to make sure that you don't try using both VCOrganizer and Dell Mobile Sync - they seem to leave the contacts data on the Streak confused if you do. So just clean it up and then go over to VCO completely.

3 Posts

January 11th, 2011 10:00

Thanks for this helpful advice.  However, though uninstalling Dell Mobile Sync on the PC was ok, it seems impossible to remove this from the phone.  How do I go about it?  Under "Manage applications" there is no option to uninstall Dell Mobile Sync.  So now, my contacts sync but my diary doesn't and I cannot find a way to do it.  Help! 

10 Posts

January 21st, 2011 14:00

I thought google calendar sync was working but now things have seemingly gone wrong.   Outlook syncs to Google Calendar and to the handset.   But if I enter events on the handset they appear on Google Calendar but not in Outlook.   What I have discovered is that the events entered on the handset come into Google Calendar with myself as a guest who has said yes they will attend.   This seems to be what stops it moving forward to outlook.   If I go into the google calendar on the web and edit the event that has come across from the handset to delete myself as a guest then the event moves back down to outlook.   Any ideas on what has gone wrong - I can only assume I have inadvertently changed a setting in google calendar or on the handset.   Very frustrating. 

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 03:00

It seems there are quite a number of us out here who are upset by 2.2 update.  Any other business which intended to change your product would at least have the courtesy to tell you what it is that will work and what will not!!  I am angered by several problems with 2.2 on my phone. 

• I still have no way to sync my outlook diary with the phone. 
  • I still have found no way to delete the Mobile Sync supplied to replace it with something else.  Why does Dell believe owners of Streak only want to sync music and photos? 
  • I wonder, too, if anyone else has this problem with the keyboard. Whenever I add a full stop or any punctuation, the keyboard then closes!  Most frustrating.
  • Also, the phone often freezes when it's moving from one screen to another and takes a while to load up the stage icons.
  • When ending a call on the phone, if the screen has gone blank, you have to call it to life again before ending the call - and then the end call button is totally unresponsive.  I often find I have to remove the back and remove the battery to be sure it has ended.
  • I'd like to reload the software but cannot see any simple way to remove it and start again.

Any help appreciated - and if Dell is watching, please respond!  After all, I'm a loyal customer having had several Dell computers and was otherwise happy with my Streak.

10 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 04:00

Have you tried the Google Calendar route for your calendar?   Your outlook syncs up to the Google calendar and then this syncs up to your phone.   It is meant to happen in reverse and at first mine did work both ways but recently I have had an issue where when I enter events on the handset they go into Google Calendar but not back down to Outlook (it is something to do with the events coming across as invites for events that I have said yes to as if I go into the events in Google Calendar they have me as an invited guest who has said yes and if I delete myself as a guest then they do sync back down to Oultook - so if anyone knows what is going on there do tell as it beats me).   But you may find yours works fine it seems to be a bit individual!   Shouldn't be but at least my handset has all my calendar appointments now.   It is ridiculous that Dell updates the software but then takes a huge backward step by removing the sync calendar ability - as a conspiracy theorist I think this is to force you to use Google Calendar and then of course easier to use Google Mail and cut Microsoft out the picture.   Calendar sync was something that was standard on XDA phones 10 years ago - so much for progress eh!    But try Google Calendar Sync it may work seamlessly for you.  Others have reported so.  You will also find you can't do video calls either - again something I could do with my XDA Exec years back but not now as Fring/Tango don't pull up your forward facing camera - so again we leap back in time on that front.   Can't help you with the keyboard or phone issues as I haven't had those problems.  

1 Message

March 7th, 2011 13:00

I must agree 100%! 

I purchased the Dell Streak for use as a business phone, which means that I'm bound by my businesses security policy.  Everyone keeps saying Google calendar and Google Mail sync are the solution but you fail to take into account that when you're dealing with the big boys in the industry sending potentially confidential information to a 3rd party group (even Google) is a fire-able offence.  It would be different if I worked for a small company or home base business that "might" spend a few thousand a year with Dell, but I know the company I work for spends millions each year with Dell...  this is not the kind of business and customer centered service we expect nor should we.

I've personally seen all the issues listed in Markaber's message as well as other issues like the fact that the Streak refuses to sync with our company's Exchange server.  We've tested Apple's products and they work, as well as several of the Windows phones which all seem to work, and even the new Galaxy tablets work.  So what's different about the Streak, what's broken and how can it be fixed?  I guess more importantly we can we expect to see a fix?

Please give us some pliable options here before we just have to drop phones like the Streak.  It's nice, but not if we can't use it and there's plenty of other options.

1 Message

April 22nd, 2011 16:00

Have you tried the Google Calendar route for your calendar?   Your outlook syncs up to the Google calendar and then this syncs up to your phone.   It is meant to happen in reverse and at first mine did work both ways but recently I have had an issue where when I enter events on the handset they go into Google Calendar but not back down to Outlook (it is something to do with the events coming across as invites for events that I have said yes to as if I go into the events in Google Calendar they have me as an invited guest who has said yes and if I delete myself as a guest then they do sync back down to Oultook - so if anyone knows what is going on there do tell as it beats me).   

Thanks for the tip!  I used this.  I am brand new to Android and the Streak but learning fast.

I do believe this is well in excess of the average computer user though...no wonder people prefer iphones!

Not only do you have to locate outlook folder, you have to export in csv format...upload to google and then ensure that under settings it says "<ADMIN NOTE:Email id removed per privacy policy>" synced and visible.   

Now I have migrated to google calendar i will use it instead of outlook, which is very slow in my computer.

My old Nokia e71 died.....thinking that I might have been better sticking with it....it seamlessly synced outlook calendar and contacts.

I just like the size of the streak...for people with fat fingers it is the only smartphone big enough!

1 Message

July 31st, 2011 14:00

I am using MyPhoneExplorer http://www.fjsoft.at/en/ for the synchronization of Contacts and Calendar with Outlook. It works well and you can connect the phone with USB cable, WiFi or Bluetooth.

October 30th, 2011 11:00

Have you tried the Google Calendar route for your calendar?   Your outlook syncs up to the Google calendar and then this syncs up to your phone.   It is meant to happen in reverse and at first mine did work both ways but recently I have had an issue where when I enter events on the handset they go into Google Calendar but not back down to Outlook (it is something to do with the events coming across as invites for events that I have said yes to as if I go into the events in Google Calendar they have me as an invited guest who has said yes and if I delete myself as a guest then they do sync back down to Oultook - so if anyone knows what is going on there do tell as it beats me).   But you may find yours works fine it seems to be a bit individual!   Shouldn't be but at least my handset has all my calendar appointments now.   It is ridiculous that Dell updates the software but then takes a huge backward step by removing the sync calendar ability - as a conspiracy theorist I think this is to force you to use Google Calendar and then of course easier to use Google Mail and cut Microsoft out the picture.   Calendar sync was something that was standard on XDA phones 10 years ago - so much for progress eh!    But try Google Calendar Sync it may work seamlessly for you.  Others have reported so.  You will also find you can't do video calls either - again something I could do with my XDA Exec years back but not now as Fring/Tango don't pull up your forward facing camera - so again we leap back in time on that front.   Can't help you with the keyboard or phone issues as I haven't had those problems.  

I have had a very similar problem and wondered if you have found a solution. For me, events I create in Outlook (2007 on Windows 7) calendar sync to Google calendar and my Streak 5 on 2.2. Similarly events created in Google calendar sync to both the other 2. But when I create an event on my Streak calendar it syncs to Google OK but to Outlook it goes straight into the deleted items bin... every time Outlook and Google sync. The events are there but all dated 01.01.1980!

October 30th, 2011 16:00

I have found a way around my own problem. It seems that the way the Streak calendar app in 2.2 works with Google Calendar is to send you an invitiaion to the event, which goes straight to your google calendar. When google cal tries to sync with outlook, the invitation screws it up as an event so it goes to deleted items.

Since I have set up outlook for a different email address, all I had to do was add an invitation to that address when I set up the event on my streak. Once the email arrives in outlook, the event is posted in calendar as a tentative event and it stops the sync-trash-sync-trash cycle.

10 Posts

October 31st, 2011 09:00

Glad you have found a work around.   I gave up and have moved over to Google wholeheartedly and of course everything then works a dream...just hate being kind of manipulated in this way, by failure to supply appropriate software to synchronize properly.   So I use Googlemail now but it looks like it comes from my own domain name (took about 60 secs to set that up!) so Calendar, Google Docs, RSS feeds, Google plus etc etc all in one place and running on both my PC and Dell Streak in absolute harmony.   So there you go I have been Googled.    

No Events found!