Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2011 03:00

Dell Streak - Crashes Regularly.

Hi,

I've had my Streak for a while now, since around June (i think) and hadn't had any major issues with it (other than the sync software debacle!).

However since the upgrade to 2.2 my Streak seems to crash pretty much all the time. It seems to be worst when trying to use GPS or wifi/3g but generally it renders anything other than the core phone functions useless.

Over the weekend I tried restoring the phone to factory settings, backing up/restoring my data. This hasn't had much of an effect at all and the same issues continue.

When the crashes occur the Back/Menu/Home lights on the side flash 3-4 times and the tablet then resets itself. Switching off and booting again from the Dell logo screen. Sometimes the phone will then lock here and I have to remove the back cover and battery, give the phone some time (this varies, once I had to leave it for a few hours) and then replace these and turn the phone back on before it will boot correctly.

Has anyone seen anything similar or can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks,

Al

1 Message

April 27th, 2011 04:00

It's DELL's design defects, you've gotta approach their engineer I guess.

6 Posts

April 28th, 2011 11:00

I had a similar issue. I downloaded this app that saved images from any MMS message. The reviews weren't favorable. I installed it anyway. After that, my phone would randomly reboot and become stuck on the Dell logo. I had to remove the battery/case just to start it up again.

As a last resort, I did a factory restore. It hasn't done that since. It sounds like you may have a hardware problem.

11 Posts

May 8th, 2011 00:00

I,ve had the same problems with crashing with my first Streak. Had to do a factory reset often. But it didn,t help. One of the reasons has been that some of the first Streaks had a bad internal sd card (2GB). (Not the sd card you find in the battery compartment.) I disassembled my Streak and replaced it. That solved the problem. Unfortunately I happened to brake a thin button cable. So I was not able to use it. The SD card problem is described by others aswell. If you bought it second hand, you have a problem otherwise you have to return it to Dell or the shop.

5 Posts

May 9th, 2011 04:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Bought mine from O2, so am currently wrangling with their Tech Support. They seem to think that me having a 2g SIM card rather than a 3G one is the issue. Though I think this may just be a step to check and that they don't actually have any idea yet.

Cheers,

Arcs

3 Posts

August 6th, 2011 19:00

Hello Sinnrik, I read that you managed to change the internal memory card, I'll have to do it because my favorite dell streak constantly reset's and factory resets by itself. Please help me and tell me how to back Android OS 2.2.2 on the new sd card ?..... I need help because I live in a very small country that has no good service-Macedonia. I don't know if it's enought to open the device and just replace the sd card with new class 10 2GB card, or I must to reinstal all Android os?  Greetings and thank you VERY MUCH!!!!

August 9th, 2011 13:00

I have the exact same problem, but my phone was purchased April 2011 and started acting up a couple of weeks ago.  I have the additional problem of a cracked screen (I noticed it after I had owned the phone for a couple of weeks).  The screen works perfectly but it does have that cosmetic issue.  I'm going to try to convince Dell to fix whatever is wrong with the phone that is causing the reboots, but I'm not holding my breath.

Meanwhile, can someone point me to the phone number I should be calling to try to get the phone fixed?  I must be over tired, because I cannot find it anyplace on this website.

3 Posts

August 10th, 2011 00:00

Before you sending the device to repair centar try this:

Factory reset(turn your Streak off and hold the volume +/- button and power on button at the some time. Than go to the factory reset by presing volume button and camera button to select factory reset. All aplications and numbers will be erased from the phone memory I suggest you to make back up from numbers.

Than instal only important applications, I think that it's not good idea to make back up from applications becorse this problem may be caused from some application. I was do the factory reset and instal only inportant applications and now I'm not having this problem for about 10 days. Do you have installed Angry birds(first) or Angry birds Rio on the phone? This problem for my Streak was beggining when I was install Angry birds(first) for the first time. I was find the supstitube application for each application that was instaled on my Streak before make factory reset, after factory resseting I was instaled the supstitude applications.

On which Android is running your Streak? I suggest you to update to latest official Froyo 2.2.2 :-D ......It's more stabile than official 2.2 Froyo. Please let me know the ressult's.

August 10th, 2011 14:00

My current configuration was arrived at by doing the following, in sequence.

1) Dell factory reset.

2) Installation of AT&T official release Version 340 using tools found at xda developers.

3) Allowed the phone to do an online automated update to 353, which is the latest AT&T release.  During this process, the phone performed another Factory Reset.

The phone works fine when only used for brief periods of time, but when running anything, like Navigator for example, that can run for a long time, it starts doing the spontaneous reboots.

I have since rooted the phone and renamed all the pkg files that I dared to try to lighten the load on the phone.  I got the exact same results.  I currently have Lookout, a file explorer, superuser application, ringdroid, a GPS Status application, and various updates to the factory applications installed, plus one game, Grave Defense Free.

The phone is exactly the same.  When used for short periods of time it is fine, but whenever I run something like a game or Navigator that stays on for a long time, it starts doing the reboot thing until I take the battery out and let it rest, the longer the better.  

3 Posts

August 10th, 2011 15:00

:(((.....this phone is full of bugs. I have the problem vith restarts(only restarts) when I was runing on 2.2 Froyo, after that I have problems with factory resets. Some people says that some dell streak devices have bad internal SD memory card, its card insade of the pfone, not that SD card behind the battery. It's not difficult to change this card, I have skills for repairing phones becorse I'm collector of old phones, and have repaired thousands of cell phones. But I'm not 100% that internal card is wrong. Please do this test, and check your internal SD card, if write pass the card is ok, if have some red letter that's mean thet your internal SD card is wrong and must be replaced. Here is the step by step tutorial(with this procedure you can't damage your Streak), I was made this test 15 times :D....and every time told me PASS:

Turn off Streak

hold down the camera button all the way as you turn on your strake

At the white screen dial the codde *#301#

Than dial in 10 than press Enter

Wait for some seconds and if everything is OK, test should PASS and it should show "permanent write non- protected" with green letters, if this fails you must to replace internal SD card :S......I hope helped somehow. 

p.s here is tutorial how to change internal SD card:

http://android.modaco.com/topic/336477-lcd-replacement-and-internal-sd-upgrade/

2 Posts

August 18th, 2011 19:00

are you running the latest android build for your streak?

August 18th, 2011 21:00

I did a factory reset and followed the instructions I found on another forum to install the official AT&T Build, but deliberately chose one level backwards.  Then I did another reset.  After I got the thing set up, as I hoped, it did an over the air update to the current release.  It didn't help.  I called in a few days ago.  The replacement arrived yesterday.  It works the way an expensive phone should.

5 Posts

October 23rd, 2011 08:00

this is a lie, since the sim card will not affect issues with wifi or gps I gurantee you that if you trouble shoot the device with out a sim card it will still reset and hang just the same.  They have an issue with their internal 2g SD and Dell knows it but wont help their customers stop wasting time and stress on them get your self a samsung device  if you want a great phone get your self an SII or even an Atrix2 a good tab getyourself the galaxy tab

5 Posts

October 23rd, 2011 08:00

Oh yeah....I HOPE AND PRAY Your device is under warranty cause DELL is HORRIBLE IN SUPPORTING THIS ISSUE EVEN THOUGH I BET YOU DOWNLOADED YOUR UPGRADE FROM the DELL LINK provided to you by the "You have an update ready for this device"   MY was 49 days originally when mine did the same thing and they gave me the whole run around.  They told me first that I had a corrupt install so they make you reset it so you loose all your info, then they made me reset and install from SD option number two when you do a hard reset also didn't fix it.  and then they give you their "MONEY MAKER"  ""SORRY BUT THAT'S ALL WE CAN DO FOR YOU, IMPORTUNATELY YOUR DEVICE IS OUT OF WARRANTY AND YOU'LL HAVE TO GIVE US 249.00 DOLLARS SO THAT WE CAN SHIP YOU OUT A REPLACEMENT UNIT, HERE'S THE BEST PART THAT ONLY HAS 90 DAYS WARRANTY."  lol so here's what's happened....and I've been doing a lot of reading.  Dell outsourced the making of this device to a third party slapped their name on it got people to buy a ton of them cause they partner with ATT so it looks like a reliable tool for you.  ATT gets you under contract for two years but not being an ATT official device ATT can't warranty the device for two years and the only warranty you can get is DELLS for one year SO Dell knows that they had issue with the internal SD card corrupting after the install not the 16GB you can see but there's a 2gb internal one that has been giving them issue. So pray to God that you have warranty cause

1. Dell wont back up their OWN UPGRADE even though it came from their page>> they're excuse on this is "we didn't provide it Android is not a software we make it's made by Google so HAHAHAHA SORRY DELL USER YOU"RE ON YOUR OWN

2.YOU ARE OUT OF WARRANTY>> even though it worked on 1.6 you installed the update out of warranty and to replace an issue WE ARE QUITE KNOWLEDGEABLE THAT IT HAPPENS you need to pay us 249.00 for 90 days of warranty...so let's see 299.99 with a two year contract to ATT plus 249.00 to extend warranty 90 days after a year so when it brakes again after 90 days they can keep charging 249.00 thanks but no thanks never again will I buy another dell product and I will tell every consumer that I meet and greet and sale to (since I do work for a large company that has a huge influence on better products than an outsourced streak.  Do yourself a favor pay 99.00 and get yourself an SII from samsung. you'll be a lot happier.

No Events found!