the.mister.d
1 Nickel

Re: Dell Streak Froyo (2.2) Update Frequently Asked Questions

Jump to solution

Hi Roshan,

I am not sure about all other service provider but Dell Streak US version will still be using Tmobile's EDGE network and not 3G network capabilities even with RebelSim.

0 Kudos
RoshanMani
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Using RebelSim, I've tried the Dell Streak on the Orange network in the UK.. 3G works just fine.. Don't have any other SIM to test with..

Tags (3)
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hi Prowing,

If you purchased the Streak in the U.S. because you were under the impression it was unlocked, then I would recommend calling the Mobile Devices queue to request a return, so you can place another order for the unlocked version when it becomes available in the next few weeks. I don't believe an exchange from one to the other will be possible because of the associated contracts, so a return and re-order is your next best option.

Let me know if you have any trouble getting this done.

Thanks,

Amy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hi Mohmiller,

Yours would be considered locked to the AT&T network with no contract. Dell does not have unlock codes available. I've heard a few customers contacted AT&T directly to get an unlock code, but I don't believe that is going to affect your update deployment date.

Send me a private message with your Streak service tag and  firmware version so I can double check for you.

Thanks,

Amy

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hi Healthservices,

That would be a correct assumption. That is why the blog post recommends a specific backup process using the Dell Backup & Restore app. After you successfully update to 2.2, you will need to uninstall the Dell PC Suite and download/install the new version, which is called Dell Mobile Sync. You can download the software from Nero here: http://www.nero.com/link.php?gen_id=10&to=9999&installmd5=mhubdell&prg=installmhubdell-1.exe

Thanks,

Amy

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hi Ryanchkim,

Did Optus advertise the Streak as  'unlocked' when you bought it? If so, I would check in a week for the update.

Thank you,

Amy

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hi Kohiiou,

Per the Direct2Dell blog, the OTA update will be available to unlocked Streak units initially in November and locked Streaks in December. I would advise you (and other Hong Kong unlocked Streak customers) to check for the update in about a week.

Thanks,

Amy

0 Kudos
ryanchkim
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Amy,

When I bought the Streak at Optus, it was already unlocked because with the Streak, I could use my existing Three Mobile sim card on it straight away.  

Before I bought it at the Optus shop, the shop assistant inserted my Three mobile sim card into a Streak that was on display at the shop and the Streak was working fine.  The assistant confirmed that the Streak was not locked and I signed up on two year contract at the shop.

On my Streak, I tried "Setting-->About Device-->System updates".  It opens "http://mobileupdate.dell.com/uptodate/uptodte.html" and shows a message "No software updates available at this time".  

I suspect other Australian Streak users who bought from Optus will be having the same problem. 

Hope we can upgrade to Froyo soon.  Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards

Ryan

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hi David,

Where did you buy the Streak, which country and was it locked/unlocked to a carrier network?

Thanks,

Amy

0 Kudos
AshR
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Amy I don't know about Dell's Policies or what makes Dell tick. but don't you think it would save you hours of time replying to all these people if Dell just released the update to all Dell Streak phones at once? 

would save a heaps of time not only for yourself but the rest of us sitting around pressing "update phone" only to be told that no update exists at this time....  😞

0 Kudos