Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2010 09:00

Dell Streak Froyo (2.2) Update Frequently Asked Questions

Hi Folks,
I created this FAQ to share updated information and answers to some of the more popular questions we've been getting. Feel free to post any additional questions and/or comments here regarding the Froyo update on the Dell Streak.

Thanks,
Amy

Q. What if I am not a current Streak owner, but I plan to buy from Best Buy or Dell directly in the U.S.? Will Froyo be pre-installed?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. For those AT&T customers who purchased a Streak from Best Buy prior to the Froyo update, here is a link to download the update if you don’t have it already: http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_340_14844_31.pkg
Also, Streak with Froyo pre-installed is currently available on www.dell.com in the U.S.

Q. When will the Open Source code for Streak Froyo be available?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Source code is now available at http://opensource.dell.com/releases/streak/ .

Q. What if I buy my Streak in Japan, Korea or Singapore? Will it have Froyo preinstalled?
A. Yes, Streaks purchased in Japan, Korea or Singapore will have Froyo preinstalled.

Q. What if I installed a non-Dell version of Android on my Streak? Will I still get the update?
A. No.  The update will only be deployed to Streak units which have Dell-provided versions of Android.

Q. Where is the link to the Dell Mobile Sync software?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. On the Dell Support Site, under Drivers and Downloads:

Q. What if I don’t want to use the Dell Stage Interface?
A. You can remove it by holding down your finger on the widget shortcut and choosing the delete option.

Q. Can I run the update, even if I don’t get the official notice, by copying the URL from someone else’s device?
A.  No, the final link to download the 2.2 Froyo update will be non-functional unless the browsing session is initiated via the software update mechanism on the Streak device. This is because the software update application in the device communicates with the OTA update server to authenticate the update session.   The link to the update is dynamically set to download the correct software package based on the device that is connecting to the update server. Please wait for the software update notice to display on the device itself, when your version of the software is ready for the upgrade.  You can continue to check for updates manually by going to Menu->Settings->About device->System Updates which will connect to the update server and correctly check for an update.

Q. Why is UK getting Froyo update before US?
A. Technically, that is not true. I'd like to clarify a rumor that got started Friday because of two tweets from UK customers. They had received an update message in error last Friday. I followed up with the team that deploys the updates and found out a small set of devices may have received a “Software Update is available” notice but when they selected it, they were directed to a webpage that indicated “No software updates available at this time.”  Shortly after I sent out the apology tweets to the two users, I got an update from the deployment team apologizing for the brief glitch. They also noted that the issue was fixed and no further devices would receive notices until the actual update was turned on. This OTA update is rolling out in phases to different groups of customers. Although I can’t share the exact scheduling, I can say that this week folks who were part of the US Beta testing group will be some of the first to receive the update. Then, folks in Europe with unlocked devices will start to receive the update.

Q. Why can't I have the EXACT date when my device will receive the Froyo update?
A. This has been a very controlled release and several factors affect the rollout. There are also many reasons for not sharing specific dates. For one thing, the rollout schedule changes periodically. This allows our deployment team to stop and fix issues they may discover. Other factors include logistics and coordination/approvals from third party providers. Appreciate your feedback and patience while we continue to roll the update out.

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, I received the OTA Froyo update, but I am getting the redirect error. When will Dell fix this?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Here is the latest Android 2.2 update for the unlocked phones that are currently on Dell version 3.09 or 3.15  that fixes the issue with browser redirect errors:

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, but have not received the update yet.
UPDATED 12-14-10
A.  Everyone (globally) who purchased an Unlocked version of the Streak should have received an update notice by now. If not, please manually check for your update by either 1. shutting down and rebooting or 2. going to Streak Settings – About Device and selecting System Updates.

370 Posts

November 16th, 2010 15:00

Hi David,

Where did you buy the Streak, which country and was it locked/unlocked to a carrier network?

Thanks,

Amy

370 Posts

Hi Ashr,

Ideally, yes, that would be my personal choice. However, there are many other aspects to this kind of deployment: agreements/contracts with 3rd party providers; telecom laws/policies to comply with; resource allocation and many other things (both inside & outside) of Dell that we have to coordinate.

I'm just so thankful I have information to provide our Streak customers proactively.

Thanks and keep the feedback coming!

Thanks,

Amy

370 Posts

Hi Carl,

For unlocked Dell Streak purchases, I would recommend checking for the update in France in one week. There will be instructions in French included in the update.

Thank you,

Amy

11 Posts

Amy I don't know about Dell's Policies or what makes Dell tick. but don't you think it would save you hours of time replying to all these people if Dell just released the update to all Dell Streak phones at once? 

would save a heaps of time not only for yourself but the rest of us sitting around pressing "update phone" only to be told that no update exists at this time....  :(

370 Posts

Hi Kohiiou,

Per the Direct2Dell blog, the OTA update will be available to unlocked Streak units initially in November and locked Streaks in December. I would advise you (and other Hong Kong unlocked Streak customers) to check for the update in about a week.

Thanks,

Amy

8 Posts

Amy,

When I bought the Streak at Optus, it was already unlocked because with the Streak, I could use my existing Three Mobile sim card on it straight away.  

Before I bought it at the Optus shop, the shop assistant inserted my Three mobile sim card into a Streak that was on display at the shop and the Streak was working fine.  The assistant confirmed that the Streak was not locked and I signed up on two year contract at the shop.

On my Streak, I tried "Setting-->About Device-->System updates".  It opens "http://mobileupdate.dell.com/uptodate/uptodte.html" and shows a message "No software updates available at this time".  

I suspect other Australian Streak users who bought from Optus will be having the same problem. 

Hope we can upgrade to Froyo soon.  Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards

Ryan

11 Posts

November 16th, 2010 16:00

Sorry for the double post.

I really really really don't want to use the Fruit company as an example, but they have launched global updates for their phone OS (granted it probably didn't have the fail rate that Dell had for the 2.1 release in the UK) still, what's wrong with testing software before a global release to stop something like that happening. 

As Amy replied, the delay seems to be mostly at the carriers not from Dell now, and waiting on Optus in Australia for an update to Android could end up like waiting for Hell to freeze over.... 

119 Posts

hi amy so if people have installed dj steve's 2.2  does that mean thay wil not get the ota update??

Nope you have to be running an official release from Dell to get the OTA update.

Amy I don't know about Dell's Policies or what makes Dell tick. but don't you think it would save you hours of time replying to all these people if Dell just released the update to all Dell Streak phones at once? 

would save a heaps of time not only for yourself but the rest of us sitting around pressing "update phone" only to be told that no update exists at this time....  :(

Listen to what you just said...

Then think about what would happen if there were a global release and people had issues just like what happened last time a update was released. :emotion-43:

You would not be able to contact Dell for support because the call center would be overwhelmed. I'm perfectly happy to wait a additional week for my turn when it comes.

On same here in UK. Unlocked Streak bought from Dell UK. Firmware 1.6 Build 6267.

No update as yet 00.03am 17 Nov.

1 Message

hi amy so if people have installed dj steve's 2.2  does that mean thay wil not get the ota update??

Thanks for the Note about Canada and Rogers.

I, just like most poeple are nervous, that like 2.1, some of us will not get an update at all. Unlocked or Locked. The Dell Streak is an amazing device to say the least, but 1.6 in this market just doesn't cut it. I'm afraid that 2.2 wont be seen in Canada at all, and I think that thought is the same for alot of people. People hearing we are updating a region at time doesn't help because region is not defined. Everyone wants 2.2 and just knowing that come Dec. 31st every streak will will put a lot to ease.

11 Posts

Thanks for the reply Amy, I see where you're coming from and do appreciate the info so we at least know Dell cares :p

unfortunatly if Optus are anything to go by in Australia (as I had the HTC G1 before the Streak) they are very behind the ball when it comes to anything android and updates :(

I may never get an update for the Dell Streak if I have to rely on them....  so I'll end up gaining root and updating the phone to a custom rom like I had to for the last phone. 

14 Posts

Yes, Amy is doing a terrific job, am sure she is feeling overloaded so we have to have patience :) so be serene and wait, the best fruit trees take many years to grow before bearing fruit and we are moving at light speed in comparison :)

1 Message

November 16th, 2010 17:00

Still, the question is still out there regarding the upcoming unlocked version. Will it have a different 3G radio? I went to the link provided earlier, but there is no information on this. You can order one, but no info?
No Events found!