Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2010 09:00

Dell Streak Froyo (2.2) Update Frequently Asked Questions

Hi Folks,
I created this FAQ to share updated information and answers to some of the more popular questions we've been getting. Feel free to post any additional questions and/or comments here regarding the Froyo update on the Dell Streak.

Thanks,
Amy

Q. What if I am not a current Streak owner, but I plan to buy from Best Buy or Dell directly in the U.S.? Will Froyo be pre-installed?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. For those AT&T customers who purchased a Streak from Best Buy prior to the Froyo update, here is a link to download the update if you don’t have it already: http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_340_14844_31.pkg
Also, Streak with Froyo pre-installed is currently available on www.dell.com in the U.S.

Q. When will the Open Source code for Streak Froyo be available?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Source code is now available at http://opensource.dell.com/releases/streak/ .

Q. What if I buy my Streak in Japan, Korea or Singapore? Will it have Froyo preinstalled?
A. Yes, Streaks purchased in Japan, Korea or Singapore will have Froyo preinstalled.

Q. What if I installed a non-Dell version of Android on my Streak? Will I still get the update?
A. No.  The update will only be deployed to Streak units which have Dell-provided versions of Android.

Q. Where is the link to the Dell Mobile Sync software?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. On the Dell Support Site, under Drivers and Downloads:

Q. What if I don’t want to use the Dell Stage Interface?
A. You can remove it by holding down your finger on the widget shortcut and choosing the delete option.

Q. Can I run the update, even if I don’t get the official notice, by copying the URL from someone else’s device?
A.  No, the final link to download the 2.2 Froyo update will be non-functional unless the browsing session is initiated via the software update mechanism on the Streak device. This is because the software update application in the device communicates with the OTA update server to authenticate the update session.   The link to the update is dynamically set to download the correct software package based on the device that is connecting to the update server. Please wait for the software update notice to display on the device itself, when your version of the software is ready for the upgrade.  You can continue to check for updates manually by going to Menu->Settings->About device->System Updates which will connect to the update server and correctly check for an update.

Q. Why is UK getting Froyo update before US?
A. Technically, that is not true. I'd like to clarify a rumor that got started Friday because of two tweets from UK customers. They had received an update message in error last Friday. I followed up with the team that deploys the updates and found out a small set of devices may have received a “Software Update is available” notice but when they selected it, they were directed to a webpage that indicated “No software updates available at this time.”  Shortly after I sent out the apology tweets to the two users, I got an update from the deployment team apologizing for the brief glitch. They also noted that the issue was fixed and no further devices would receive notices until the actual update was turned on. This OTA update is rolling out in phases to different groups of customers. Although I can’t share the exact scheduling, I can say that this week folks who were part of the US Beta testing group will be some of the first to receive the update. Then, folks in Europe with unlocked devices will start to receive the update.

Q. Why can't I have the EXACT date when my device will receive the Froyo update?
A. This has been a very controlled release and several factors affect the rollout. There are also many reasons for not sharing specific dates. For one thing, the rollout schedule changes periodically. This allows our deployment team to stop and fix issues they may discover. Other factors include logistics and coordination/approvals from third party providers. Appreciate your feedback and patience while we continue to roll the update out.

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, I received the OTA Froyo update, but I am getting the redirect error. When will Dell fix this?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Here is the latest Android 2.2 update for the unlocked phones that are currently on Dell version 3.09 or 3.15  that fixes the issue with browser redirect errors:

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, but have not received the update yet.
UPDATED 12-14-10
A.  Everyone (globally) who purchased an Unlocked version of the Streak should have received an update notice by now. If not, please manually check for your update by either 1. shutting down and rebooting or 2. going to Streak Settings – About Device and selecting System Updates.

19 Posts

November 19th, 2010 06:00

8:00 AM CST still no update.

GAUSB1A111100 (US Pre-Release Beta Unit)

119 Posts

November 19th, 2010 06:00

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/?version=GAUSB1A110100

That's the link to it supposedly from someone at XDA that is downloading it.  I notice it is a different number than yours.  Wonder what the difference is.

21 Posts

November 19th, 2010 07:00

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/?version=GAUSB1A110100

21 Posts

November 19th, 2010 07:00

Did anyone tried this link?

does it work on this version GAUSB1A111100?

17 Posts

November 19th, 2010 11:00

Ooo my hand got spanked for my agreeing and response with Lord60. lol. Anyway gang, extremely brief summary. "Dont hold your breath.":emotion-45:

2 Posts

November 19th, 2010 13:00

Will have to throw a "here here" to Mpire... don't hold your breath.

Evidently DJ Steve, the programmer who took the leaked ROM and made a working one over at Modaco... he had to clean up the mess Dell just made today.

Here's what I mean.  Today, a ROM was sent out OTA to some.  See my post above...
Several people received the OTA, they became very excited and giddy over it... it was finally here... right?
WRONG.. .the file being sent out was corrupt and could not be opened by the devices that received it.  Go figure.   No, seriously, I am so not kidding.

So, DJ Steve got his hands on it, and cleaned it up and released a zip file of some files that should help the end user upgrade.  Yes, that's right... the LONE programmer, had to take the work of a TEAM of developers that are paid by a corporation like Dell, and he had to fix their work in order for the OS to be usable by anyone.

Hackers - 3

Dell - 0

The real losers?  Us, the consumers.  Anyone who feels like I do, that is to say I feel Punk'd by Dell, raise your hands.

November 19th, 2010 16:00

I’d like to say that I stopped by as well simply to see where the update to 2.2 stood. I agree that personal venting is silly and unproductive. That out of the way, it should help others decide against purchasing devices from a company that cannot support them.

I lost my Streak in a cab and don’t even have it any longer, but I do have to buy devices for the design and development. Very rationally, I asked if there was a replacement "image" so that if I broke the device for development purposes, I could reapply the image. Not a word out of Dell.

The documents you mention are rarely if ever read by consumers, but if that is your argument against people being angry, you deserve the lack of service we have experienced. There are plenty of companies that are happy to take my $650 per device. I need to buy a lot of them. My company does significant sales on devices. I also recommend device to a lot of people. Dell has lost several sales already due to my experience.

Dell will move onto Windows Phone simply because they are not a software company. Microsoft will deliver the device specs and the software image and Dell will ship the boxes. They better hope that works, because mobile devices and services are definitely not their game.

34 Posts

@kohiiou

The complaints were because Dell (Amy) initiated this thread & claimed an update was being released, it wasn't released and even now 4 days later hasn't commented or replied to any questions. AFAIK there's still no usable update from Dell anywhere in the world.

I certainly feel my complaint is justified.

5 Posts

Sorry Lord60, but this reply isn't geared towards you solely.  I have been following this thread lately because I wanted to check on the status of updates to see if mine is available, but all I see is a lot of complaints.

I can understand if everyone just wrote down their problems, but I don't understand how productive is it going to be to write slander or personal attacks on a forum built for the consumer to ask question?  I find personal attacks aimed directly at the people who are providing us support the worst, especially in this case since the information was provided "proactively", meaning that it was not required.  If you insult people, they aren't going to help you, because there is no contractual agreement saying they have to (there's nothing to complain about unless you have some sort of paper document or agreement that states specifically there will be one of the following or more: an upgrade to 2.2 Froyo, you will always be informed of the internal administrative framework, or there will always be a provided timeline of all affirmed dates for every release

If this contract or agreement during your purchase does exist, please feel free to provide it.

Now all I wanted was to know if my phone's version "STREAK.ANDROID.HK" is supported, and now all I see is a forum ladened with replies saying dell sucks.  This is a support forum, not a petition or a technical vent for anger issues.  I don't understand why people have to repeat the same questions a hundred times if no one has answered.  It's like a bunch of five year olds asking if we are there yet.  Since I haven't received a reply about whether my OS version is supported by Dell for an OTA, I have passed 10 days since my purchase (the period of time that I can return it for a refund to purchase the official purchase), and a bombardment of spam of people's emotional problems.

If you have an issue, state it, and wait for a response.  Repeating it is useless.  Stop attacking people personally with slander or rude comments, especially those who were trying to help.  If you have problems with Dell, forward it to the customer service or the media, but not in a support forum.  There is no point blaming the people who are trying to "support" us.

5 Posts

November 19th, 2010 17:00

I am assuming you are working in a corporate environment in a position where you are probably allowed to "make decisions" in purchases.  I am explaining my point of view with the personal experience of working as a cashier in Burger King.  Four customers complained at the drive through window, which is okay, but they were very rude and attacking people personally (verbally by calling everyone dumb "if you seek"s...)  --  I had no knowledge of this prior to giving them the food, but my coworker told me after that he had spat in all their burgers.

These aren't robots we are yelling at -- these are people.  

Imagine if you were working at a bank as a customer service representative and were told to tell people they can't exchange coins for bills anymore (because it takes too much time to count the coins).  An old lady comes in and asks you to exchange her coins because it was too heavy, and you thought you'd proactively offer your precious time to help her.  Five minutes later, the lady is upset and angry and starts yelling at you for taking so long, tells you your mother raised a useless child and complains to your manager.  Now, your manager is upset because you were given the policy not to assist the old lady, and you have an angry old lady and a frustrated manager.  Even if you don't get fired, would you ever help someone "proactively" ever again? 

The next time the old lady comes up to you, would you help her or avoid her?

In this case, a bad scenario could be they don't give you any froyo at all and no longer answer your questions.  A worse scenario could be they serve you froyo with two girls and a cup, then get fired.  The worst case scenario is they try their best to help you because they are emotionally dependent on the constant approval of others, but with the bombardment of personal attacks and slander, they jump off a building and now you are the one responsible for traumatizing them to death with name calling.

I don't understand how calling people liars help anything.  Name calling doesn't help anyone.  If you have a problem and need to rant, go look for Nancy Grace.

Just a thought. 

November 19th, 2010 18:00

I work in a corporate environment, but I pay for my own devices oftentimes. I need to carry an Android as well as an iPhone to understand their distinct qualities. That said, I heard you. I simply don't entertain bad behavior and simply move on. If you want to stick on the subject that is your issue. I acknowledge that name calling is poor behavior. 

But, I so have a hard time determining who is being more childish here. Dell is simply ignoring pleas for information like a child who hasn't done his homework. It appears that this is frankly the case. Unfortunately I got sucked into this place trying to see if they happened to release an update. I’ll never purchase a Dell again, so this really isn't even worth my time.

Au Revior! Whoever is in charge of this mess needs to lose their jobs.

17 Posts

November 19th, 2010 18:00

@ kohiiou,

So you are telling us that making a commitment to update a device(thus increasing sales, as many of us would not buy without the commitment) is OK, as we do not have a written contract to do so?

Also the same way people get upset at Burger King employees for massive mistakes they will get upset at Dell employees when the needs of the customer are not met.... that is a cost of doing business. Especially when you are not delivering on promises to the customer. You and Dell are both forgetting that Amy and every other Dell employee would be out of a job if it weren't for us, the CUSTOMER.

I work in sales of electronics and appliances, I can tell you the lack of customer service in the circumstance is horrendous. If you cannot deliver the goods you are responsible for communicating that to the people. Bare minimum we should be compensated for this with a refund or a new device running Froyo and an apology. If I were to make promises I can't keep and then ignore the phone calls from my customers I would be terminated.

Just a thought

November 19th, 2010 19:00

In Scotland on Dell Streak bought from Dell UK unlocked 1.6 Build ending in 00

Got a link from Streak Smart to the following and now have official Froyo - Baseband GAUSB1A130900-EU Build Number 11548

Not had a chance to check everything out yet as I'm off to bed! Just glad the wait is over but feel really sorry for everyone out there with the frustration of waiting for Froyo. Good luck to you all.

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_309_0_00.pkg 

Goodnight and good luck all,

John

19 Posts

19 Posts

I believe Mr. Garriques did lose his job this week.

No Events found!