Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2010 09:00

Dell Streak Froyo (2.2) Update Frequently Asked Questions

Hi Folks,
I created this FAQ to share updated information and answers to some of the more popular questions we've been getting. Feel free to post any additional questions and/or comments here regarding the Froyo update on the Dell Streak.

Thanks,
Amy

Q. What if I am not a current Streak owner, but I plan to buy from Best Buy or Dell directly in the U.S.? Will Froyo be pre-installed?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. For those AT&T customers who purchased a Streak from Best Buy prior to the Froyo update, here is a link to download the update if you don’t have it already: http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_340_14844_31.pkg
Also, Streak with Froyo pre-installed is currently available on www.dell.com in the U.S.

Q. When will the Open Source code for Streak Froyo be available?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Source code is now available at http://opensource.dell.com/releases/streak/ .

Q. What if I buy my Streak in Japan, Korea or Singapore? Will it have Froyo preinstalled?
A. Yes, Streaks purchased in Japan, Korea or Singapore will have Froyo preinstalled.

Q. What if I installed a non-Dell version of Android on my Streak? Will I still get the update?
A. No.  The update will only be deployed to Streak units which have Dell-provided versions of Android.

Q. Where is the link to the Dell Mobile Sync software?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. On the Dell Support Site, under Drivers and Downloads:

Q. What if I don’t want to use the Dell Stage Interface?
A. You can remove it by holding down your finger on the widget shortcut and choosing the delete option.

Q. Can I run the update, even if I don’t get the official notice, by copying the URL from someone else’s device?
A.  No, the final link to download the 2.2 Froyo update will be non-functional unless the browsing session is initiated via the software update mechanism on the Streak device. This is because the software update application in the device communicates with the OTA update server to authenticate the update session.   The link to the update is dynamically set to download the correct software package based on the device that is connecting to the update server. Please wait for the software update notice to display on the device itself, when your version of the software is ready for the upgrade.  You can continue to check for updates manually by going to Menu->Settings->About device->System Updates which will connect to the update server and correctly check for an update.

Q. Why is UK getting Froyo update before US?
A. Technically, that is not true. I'd like to clarify a rumor that got started Friday because of two tweets from UK customers. They had received an update message in error last Friday. I followed up with the team that deploys the updates and found out a small set of devices may have received a “Software Update is available” notice but when they selected it, they were directed to a webpage that indicated “No software updates available at this time.”  Shortly after I sent out the apology tweets to the two users, I got an update from the deployment team apologizing for the brief glitch. They also noted that the issue was fixed and no further devices would receive notices until the actual update was turned on. This OTA update is rolling out in phases to different groups of customers. Although I can’t share the exact scheduling, I can say that this week folks who were part of the US Beta testing group will be some of the first to receive the update. Then, folks in Europe with unlocked devices will start to receive the update.

Q. Why can't I have the EXACT date when my device will receive the Froyo update?
A. This has been a very controlled release and several factors affect the rollout. There are also many reasons for not sharing specific dates. For one thing, the rollout schedule changes periodically. This allows our deployment team to stop and fix issues they may discover. Other factors include logistics and coordination/approvals from third party providers. Appreciate your feedback and patience while we continue to roll the update out.

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, I received the OTA Froyo update, but I am getting the redirect error. When will Dell fix this?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Here is the latest Android 2.2 update for the unlocked phones that are currently on Dell version 3.09 or 3.15  that fixes the issue with browser redirect errors:

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, but have not received the update yet.
UPDATED 12-14-10
A.  Everyone (globally) who purchased an Unlocked version of the Streak should have received an update notice by now. If not, please manually check for your update by either 1. shutting down and rebooting or 2. going to Streak Settings – About Device and selecting System Updates.

1 Message

November 23rd, 2010 10:00

I am a current US streak owner and I purchased the device unsubsidized (i.e. I paid a bundle) only to find that it was still locked to AT&T.  Since Dell is selling unlocked Streaks now, is it possible for me to get an unlock code?

November 23rd, 2010 10:00

More like make cowardly remarks. Europeans like Hitler,Stalin, and Mussolini?? LOL Get a clue do you have any idea that ALL of the Android devices (that are upgradeable) on Verizons network have had froyo for MONTHS.SO whats Dell's excuse again???

370 Posts

November 23rd, 2010 11:00

Hi Brandon,

This has been a very controlled release and many factors affect the rollout. There were specific groups targeted last week and, unfortunately, not a lot of feedback. As the messenger, I've learned the hard way, giving specific dates is not a good idea. Although this is not popular with a lot of folks, I've also learned, you just can't make everyone happy.

There are reasons for not sharing specific dates. For one thing, the rollout schedule changes periodically. This allows our deployment team to stop and fix issues they may discover. I did make inquiries when folks started to complain no one was getting the updates. There were some issues last week that caused delays, so my apologies to those of you who expected to see the update right away.

Appreciate your continued patience and feedback.  Please continue to keep in mind that for Phase 1, "The rollout of the upgrade will be gradual with different regions and versions of Donut and Éclair updated over the weeks following November 15, 2010. "

Thanks,

Amy

370 Posts

Hi Sierra,

Be sure to uninstall the old version (Dell PC Suite) and download/install the new version (Dell Mobile Sync) on your computer.

You can download the software from Nero here: http://www.nero.com/link.php?gen_id=10&to=9999&installmd5=mhubdell&prg=installmhubdell-1.exe

Thanks,

Amy

15 Posts

Amy,

I'm sure Dell is working out / sorting the deployment issues, however, I was wondering when would UK Dell - Unlocked Streak users with version GAUSB1A111100 and build 6267 start getting the OTA update. Can you advise please?

Ronak

November 23rd, 2010 12:00

thank's amy have done this update 2.2 working ok except for the internet not letting me on msn and the apps on facebook not working getting error data connectivity problem page contains too many server redirects would that be down to having the u.s.a update and not the u.k one as i am in the u.k..again many thanks for all your help and keep up the good work you are doing

5 Posts

November 23rd, 2010 13:00

Hello Amy,

Many of the people that are getting the official OTA update are having an issue where if you go to a website it gives a Server Redirect Error. Is Dell aware of this and any info on if it will be fixed soon?

Thanks!

November 23rd, 2010 14:00

2.2 is now running on my Streak via the OTA upgrade. The update when smoothely without a hitch. However:

I now have two copies of Co-Pilot for some reason - one trial and the other paid for. Not sure how that happened. The Twitter app bombs out whenever I try to use it, taking down the Dell launcher. Some websites are failing to load with too many server redirects.

The new email app syncs with Exchange out of the box, which is nice. The new UI is going to take some getting used to, since it's very different (took me a while to figure out that you have to drag the topbar down now to see the notifications, rather than just click on it).

Sam.

14 Posts

November 23rd, 2010 16:00

@delltreaker. my previous version is same as yours...ditto....

now change to new....

Baseband - GAUSB1A130900-EU

Kernel-2.6.32.9

Oem -same as baseband

Build-11548

57 Posts

November 23rd, 2010 23:00

+1

1 Message

November 23rd, 2010 23:00

What about update for baseband GAUSB1A111800? When??????

7 Posts

November 24th, 2010 02:00

Do you people think you are intelligent?

Amy clearly stated  "The rollout of the upgrade will be gradual with different regions and versions of Donut and Éclair updated over the weeks following November 15, 2010. "

As I mentioned my last phone was a nokia and we had to wait almost two months from when they announced the release of the update to when we actually recieved it.

Calm down, it's coming.

57 Posts

Yes I am intelligent. My streak in now on EBay.

57 Posts

They have our money and don't care. I will never again buy Dell.

17 Posts

November 24th, 2010 06:00

I am intelligent as well. I have various credentials to prove it. The unintelligent are the ones who questions ones intelligence. Get the foot taste out of your mouth yet?

I'd sell mine on EBay, but anyone that know about the Streak, knows its made by Dell and therefore lies the issue. Dell makes devices. They are not a network carrier. Which is why the unlocked are getting the update first. Mine is locked to US AT&T, so I'm one of the ones waiting until @Dec (if that truly is the case). The carriers have their own widgets and tweaks to add to their "brand" of Streak, which is what takes the most time. You could mod it, sure. But most likely gimp some of your hardware.

It really does shine through that the 5"Streak was great concept, only it was manufactured by Dell with a OS they dont have a clue about. A day late and few hundred dollars short. In 2011 this Streak even with the new update to 2.2 will be old news. If the US AT&T actually get 2.2 before 2011. The fact they state Donut and Eclair leaves me to wonder whose getting what version...

No Events found!