Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2010 09:00

Dell Streak Froyo (2.2) Update Frequently Asked Questions

Hi Folks,
I created this FAQ to share updated information and answers to some of the more popular questions we've been getting. Feel free to post any additional questions and/or comments here regarding the Froyo update on the Dell Streak.

Thanks,
Amy

Q. What if I am not a current Streak owner, but I plan to buy from Best Buy or Dell directly in the U.S.? Will Froyo be pre-installed?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. For those AT&T customers who purchased a Streak from Best Buy prior to the Froyo update, here is a link to download the update if you don’t have it already: http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_340_14844_31.pkg
Also, Streak with Froyo pre-installed is currently available on www.dell.com in the U.S.

Q. When will the Open Source code for Streak Froyo be available?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Source code is now available at http://opensource.dell.com/releases/streak/ .

Q. What if I buy my Streak in Japan, Korea or Singapore? Will it have Froyo preinstalled?
A. Yes, Streaks purchased in Japan, Korea or Singapore will have Froyo preinstalled.

Q. What if I installed a non-Dell version of Android on my Streak? Will I still get the update?
A. No.  The update will only be deployed to Streak units which have Dell-provided versions of Android.

Q. Where is the link to the Dell Mobile Sync software?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. On the Dell Support Site, under Drivers and Downloads:

Q. What if I don’t want to use the Dell Stage Interface?
A. You can remove it by holding down your finger on the widget shortcut and choosing the delete option.

Q. Can I run the update, even if I don’t get the official notice, by copying the URL from someone else’s device?
A.  No, the final link to download the 2.2 Froyo update will be non-functional unless the browsing session is initiated via the software update mechanism on the Streak device. This is because the software update application in the device communicates with the OTA update server to authenticate the update session.   The link to the update is dynamically set to download the correct software package based on the device that is connecting to the update server. Please wait for the software update notice to display on the device itself, when your version of the software is ready for the upgrade.  You can continue to check for updates manually by going to Menu->Settings->About device->System Updates which will connect to the update server and correctly check for an update.

Q. Why is UK getting Froyo update before US?
A. Technically, that is not true. I'd like to clarify a rumor that got started Friday because of two tweets from UK customers. They had received an update message in error last Friday. I followed up with the team that deploys the updates and found out a small set of devices may have received a “Software Update is available” notice but when they selected it, they were directed to a webpage that indicated “No software updates available at this time.”  Shortly after I sent out the apology tweets to the two users, I got an update from the deployment team apologizing for the brief glitch. They also noted that the issue was fixed and no further devices would receive notices until the actual update was turned on. This OTA update is rolling out in phases to different groups of customers. Although I can’t share the exact scheduling, I can say that this week folks who were part of the US Beta testing group will be some of the first to receive the update. Then, folks in Europe with unlocked devices will start to receive the update.

Q. Why can't I have the EXACT date when my device will receive the Froyo update?
A. This has been a very controlled release and several factors affect the rollout. There are also many reasons for not sharing specific dates. For one thing, the rollout schedule changes periodically. This allows our deployment team to stop and fix issues they may discover. Other factors include logistics and coordination/approvals from third party providers. Appreciate your feedback and patience while we continue to roll the update out.

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, I received the OTA Froyo update, but I am getting the redirect error. When will Dell fix this?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Here is the latest Android 2.2 update for the unlocked phones that are currently on Dell version 3.09 or 3.15  that fixes the issue with browser redirect errors:

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, but have not received the update yet.
UPDATED 12-14-10
A.  Everyone (globally) who purchased an Unlocked version of the Streak should have received an update notice by now. If not, please manually check for your update by either 1. shutting down and rebooting or 2. going to Streak Settings – About Device and selecting System Updates.

10 Posts

November 27th, 2010 20:00

Manish..also need to check if u able to disable the stage ui

10 Posts

November 27th, 2010 22:00

Hey manish. ..one last thing..are u able to use all the features without issues...I really like my current interface..so don't want to run into issues post update...how long it took for download n update...

11 Posts

November 28th, 2010 05:00

Even my version was different bt its working for me without any issues.....evrythng is wrkin properly.....dell stage can be deleted.....download took abt 30mins over wifi n after that 15 more mins for the phone to update.....

10 Posts

November 28th, 2010 05:00

Thanks for suggestion Manish...just one question would u recommend froyo. ..:-)

15 Posts

November 28th, 2010 13:00

SDP2083, don't be so afraid and skeptic abt froyo...its good, dell stage is good too...it's working perfectly well for all of us (except that I have a small prob - whenever I exit from my browser, it throws an exception - but that's ok - now I don't exit, but just press the "home" button)...

Use the link provided by Manish and you should be ok...

I would recommend it...

Go ahead and enjoy froyo...

Ronak

11 Posts

November 28th, 2010 13:00

I manually updated my Streak in Australia through a link to Froyo and it's running great :) 

so I guess the moral is, don't wait for an OTA when the official link works manually

3 Posts

November 28th, 2010 16:00

Hi,

i buy the  Streak in HK, can you give me the time can update to 2.2?

Model Number: Dell Streak
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: GAUSB1A120321-EU
Kernel version: 2.6.29-perf
OEM Version: STREAK.ANDROID.HK
Build number: 20100908

Has been a week, still no answer...............

10 Posts

November 28th, 2010 18:00

Thanks manish & ronak...waiting for a wifi connection will update as soon as it's active. ..

17 Posts

November 28th, 2010 23:00

Any news on 2.2 for Rogers customers??

21 Posts

November 29th, 2010 00:00

Http://mobileupdate.dell.com/?version=GAUSB1A111100

20 Posts

November 29th, 2010 06:00

Week 3. Still no OTA update for my UK unlocked Streak 00-eu. Pathetic. This Amy person deciding to go missing again.

Dell/Amy- have the decency of sorting out update and stop people waiting. The whole thing is a disgrace.

November 29th, 2010 11:00

It's been two weeks now. What's happening with the Hong Kong update ?

Baseband: GAUSB1A111511-EU

Firmware Version: 1.6

Kernel Version: 2.6.29-perf

OEM Version: GAUSB1A111511

Build Number: 7299

Hi Streak2046,

I can't give you exact dates, but I recommend that you (and other Hong Kong unlocked Streak customers) check back in one week. Follow the instructions on the blog for manually checking for the update.

Thanks,

Amy

1 Message

November 29th, 2010 23:00

Q. what if i received the message for the update but then i deleted it and didn't get to use the update?

15 Posts

November 30th, 2010 00:00

Hopefully people will find this post one of the few, vaguely informative ones, rather than the drivel that some people think is acceptable public behaviour. I'd like to thank Amy for posting the original FAQ, and the subsequent responses. It has certainly cleared a lot of things up for me, and I've been content to wait in line for the update. I do not blame Amy for not responding to a lot of the comments / questions posted in this thread; a lot of them have already been answered previously (but people couldn't be bothered to read the entire thread), and the rest are a sad indication of where humanity is going.

Anyway, on to the point of the post. The update is now ready for me to download. I haven't started the process yet as I'm not in a position to do so. I currently reside in the Middle East and I didn't use a VPN whilst checking.

My Streak is a factory unlocked unit, purchased from Dell.co.uk not long after release.

Firmware: 1.6
Baseband version: GAUSB1A111100-EU
Kernel version: 2.6.29-perf
OEM version: GAUSB1A111100
Build number: 6267

I will post back again when I've completed the update. I know I will miss the current keyboard, and it looks like there's one or two other things I will miss, but such is life.

November 30th, 2010 03:00

Hi, I had same version and build, unlocked UK phone. I just did and update. After successfull update I see new intreface, so I unlocked screen and i got SYSTEM EXCEPTION : The application Calendar Storage (process com.android.providers.calendar) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. only button I can press is FORCE CLOSE. so I did and bum, got same error again and again. Any hints before I send phone back to Dell and request my money back? For this I had wait so long? Strange thing is my baseband changed to: 1A131500 build 12332.

No Events found!