Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2010 09:00

Dell Streak Froyo (2.2) Update Frequently Asked Questions

Hi Folks,
I created this FAQ to share updated information and answers to some of the more popular questions we've been getting. Feel free to post any additional questions and/or comments here regarding the Froyo update on the Dell Streak.

Thanks,
Amy

Q. What if I am not a current Streak owner, but I plan to buy from Best Buy or Dell directly in the U.S.? Will Froyo be pre-installed?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. For those AT&T customers who purchased a Streak from Best Buy prior to the Froyo update, here is a link to download the update if you don’t have it already: http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_340_14844_31.pkg
Also, Streak with Froyo pre-installed is currently available on www.dell.com in the U.S.

Q. When will the Open Source code for Streak Froyo be available?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Source code is now available at http://opensource.dell.com/releases/streak/ .

Q. What if I buy my Streak in Japan, Korea or Singapore? Will it have Froyo preinstalled?
A. Yes, Streaks purchased in Japan, Korea or Singapore will have Froyo preinstalled.

Q. What if I installed a non-Dell version of Android on my Streak? Will I still get the update?
A. No.  The update will only be deployed to Streak units which have Dell-provided versions of Android.

Q. Where is the link to the Dell Mobile Sync software?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. On the Dell Support Site, under Drivers and Downloads:

Q. What if I don’t want to use the Dell Stage Interface?
A. You can remove it by holding down your finger on the widget shortcut and choosing the delete option.

Q. Can I run the update, even if I don’t get the official notice, by copying the URL from someone else’s device?
A.  No, the final link to download the 2.2 Froyo update will be non-functional unless the browsing session is initiated via the software update mechanism on the Streak device. This is because the software update application in the device communicates with the OTA update server to authenticate the update session.   The link to the update is dynamically set to download the correct software package based on the device that is connecting to the update server. Please wait for the software update notice to display on the device itself, when your version of the software is ready for the upgrade.  You can continue to check for updates manually by going to Menu->Settings->About device->System Updates which will connect to the update server and correctly check for an update.

Q. Why is UK getting Froyo update before US?
A. Technically, that is not true. I'd like to clarify a rumor that got started Friday because of two tweets from UK customers. They had received an update message in error last Friday. I followed up with the team that deploys the updates and found out a small set of devices may have received a “Software Update is available” notice but when they selected it, they were directed to a webpage that indicated “No software updates available at this time.”  Shortly after I sent out the apology tweets to the two users, I got an update from the deployment team apologizing for the brief glitch. They also noted that the issue was fixed and no further devices would receive notices until the actual update was turned on. This OTA update is rolling out in phases to different groups of customers. Although I can’t share the exact scheduling, I can say that this week folks who were part of the US Beta testing group will be some of the first to receive the update. Then, folks in Europe with unlocked devices will start to receive the update.

Q. Why can't I have the EXACT date when my device will receive the Froyo update?
A. This has been a very controlled release and several factors affect the rollout. There are also many reasons for not sharing specific dates. For one thing, the rollout schedule changes periodically. This allows our deployment team to stop and fix issues they may discover. Other factors include logistics and coordination/approvals from third party providers. Appreciate your feedback and patience while we continue to roll the update out.

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, I received the OTA Froyo update, but I am getting the redirect error. When will Dell fix this?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Here is the latest Android 2.2 update for the unlocked phones that are currently on Dell version 3.09 or 3.15  that fixes the issue with browser redirect errors:

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, but have not received the update yet.
UPDATED 12-14-10
A.  Everyone (globally) who purchased an Unlocked version of the Streak should have received an update notice by now. If not, please manually check for your update by either 1. shutting down and rebooting or 2. going to Streak Settings – About Device and selecting System Updates.

14 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 08:00

Hi,  spochanapeddi in Southafrica..................the only way to update your Streak is following with faith instrucciones in this link .......and I did, now I have my Streak with FroYo 2.2 version Build numebr 11548. 

Greetings.

Mauricio Villota.

370 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 08:00

Hi Mr. Crusher/All,

I have an update on the Nero Dell Mobile Sync user's guide. Nero is going to fix the links and attached is the user's guide.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Thanks,

Amy

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/3824/5047.DellMobileSync_5F00_Enu.pdf

14 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 11:00

Rogers in Canada customer.  Still waiting for my 2.2 and nobody wants to talk about it.  What is the point of the secrecy?  Why the delay if people are able to get 2.2 already?  Can we just have 2.2 like every other Dell Streak owner?

14 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 12:00

atrauzzi in Canada....same message like a  spochanapeddi un Southafrica: the only way to update your Streak is following with faith instructions in this link .......but now I have my Streak with Froyo 2.2 version 12332, baseband GAUSB1A131500, because 30 minutes ago (14:45 hours in my country) I updated to Streak_315_12332_00.pkg package. One week ago my Streak was Android 1.6, locked to AT&T USA, GAUSB1A111231 baseband and 6601 version.

Maurice.

December 2nd, 2010 12:00

Amy,

When is the Hong Kong update happening ?

I live in Canada but purchased a Dell Streak in Hong Kong.

OEM Version: GAUSB1A111511

Kernel Version: 2.6.29-perf

Baseband: GAUSB1A111511-EU

Build: 7299

Firmware Version: 1.6

14 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 13:00

Hi atrauzzi........Dell (for me) and Rogers (for you) SHOULD....but is possible they will not now in December/10, then like me, you SHOULD Do like me....you should do update Streak, first to DJ_Steve`s Froyo, and following Streak_309_0_00 package and then Streak_315_12332_00.pkg package........DO NOT BE AFRAID!!!!!......do it.

Maurice.

14 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 13:00

DUMAVI2, I'd like to hear official word before engaging in an unofficial procedure.  I'm well aware of and capable of pursuing alternative firmwares.  But as a Dell product, I'd like my Streak to remain one.  I don't pay to support my own device, the lesson here is that Dell and Rogers should.

370 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 14:00

Hi Ronakg11,

Thank you for the continued feedback. The developers have been able to duplicate this issue and are working to address it.

Regarding your question on the update OEM version, can you send me a private message with your service tag?

Thanks,

Amy

December 2nd, 2010 19:00

Nutsoo you could not be more right. I did exactly the same as you did: upgrade, 2 factory resets, and re-build up.

You rightfully remark that Dell Mobile Sync is inferior to Dell PC Suite. My current workaround is that I have created a new GMail address which I use only to synchronize / backup contacts, and this works seamlessly. I use Google Calendar anyway so no problem on that.

My impressions on the update are excellent. Swype keyboard is fantastic when holding the phone in portrait mode, although I stick to traditional typing when in landscape mode. Wifi seems better managed as some of the streaming connections I was using are now more stable.

But what impresses me most between 1.6 and 2.2 is the giant leap in battery life. I am a heavy user (WiFi on all the time, 3 e-Mail accounts, loads of browsing, music / podcasting including video, and of course voice and texting...) and where Donut managed only a mere 11-13 hours, Froyo makes me touch the 24-hour mark. My pals with HTC Desire / Desire Z can't get nowhere near that B-P

Now a very likeable product.

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 22:00

Amy,

I bought my Streak from the Optus network in Australia. Recently the OTA update was available for the phone and after getting the update the phone crashes frequently. Reading the post I understood that the newer version is unstable and and the only solution is to get the update through the link provided in the replies.

Now the manual update is not possible. Gives out an error message. Please tell me how to fix this issue as the phone is near unusable.

Thanks in advance.

Current Baseband

GAUSB1A131500-EU

Previous Baseband

GAUSB1A111800-EU

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 23:00

Hi Ireneerobin, hi Amy,

keyboard and homescreen isssues may be questions of favour. Unfortunately I have to continue my search after a convenient "landscape" keyboard - they all look and fell same as the Streak 2.2 ones. Dell gave us something that was to get easily and free before. 

The homescreen issue may be solved with "wallstreak.apk" which is to find via xda-developers...forum. At this moment the app doesn't work with my Streak but I assume that my pics are too big / have to downsize them.

Ceterum censeo that the Wifi issue is a serious one. I don't walk alone: so there are many statements to discover in fora like (also)

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1576861&p=3

where "munka" tells: "I am finding the wifi radio a little weaker than 1.6, in same location and conditions what was a stable connection is dropping frequently."

Yes, even at home, and when I take "mobile" literally for "mobile usage", then my Streak appears cropped at moment.

Please, Amy, Dell: help! I bought a 5-doorer, now I sit in a fast 2-doorer, leaving kids alone...

Kind greetings, Ralf

December 3rd, 2010 00:00

What I found out on the WiFi stability on my own Streak is: with Froyo, if for some reason the Streak cannot connect to a WiFi network, it will attempt at re-connecting only 3 times and finally say "Disabled" opposite the hotspot name if unsuccessful. With Donut, if I remember well, the Streak was continuously trying to connect.

My home router is a 6-year-old Netgear that has basically been working 24 hours a day, it is quite instable per se (so I have an automated switch to restart it once every 24 hours) and I see no difference in stability / instability. At the office, it is a much more recent Linksys, and I haven't experienced a single de-connection since the upgrade i.e. 10 days.

In terms of streaming stability, as I said, I found out Froyo more stable than Donut. I use XiiaLive Lite for shoutcast webradios and as I live halfway around the world some of the streams in 192kbps were dropping quite frequently (once every 5-10 minutes) under Donut. In the very same conditions (time, day of the week, various radio stations, home equipment), with Froyo and through repeated tries, no drop even during 2+ hours of streaming. As nothing else has changed, I am inclined to think the stability comes from the mobile device.

What munka says re. "weakness" of the wifi radio (in terms of discoverability of relatively remote hotspots) seems true though. I have the same impression: some hotspots I could discover and connect to with Donut are inaccessible now unless I get closer to the signal source. Guess it's a tradeoff with battery life... personally I am OK with it, although I still think Dell could have packed a 2000mAh battery in the Streak given the size of the device... and no I don't care about the extra weight :-)

8 Posts

December 3rd, 2010 01:00

I bought my Streak from the Dell UK Website as a sim free unlocked unit and:-

1) It has 2.1 pre-installed from the Factory

2) I still have no update notification at 3/12/10/ still says "No software updates available at this time"

3) The Streak will not sign into the Google Account so I am unable to obtain Apps.

I've been a Streak owner for about a week and so far it's not been a brilliant experience.

Phil

15 Posts

December 3rd, 2010 01:00

Well, it's been a few days now and I've come across a few more things to add to 'The Bad' list:

AccuWeather: Considering the Streak was always marketed as a Landscape device (and the original Homescreen was locked in Landscape), I find it shocking that QA failed to notice that AccuWeather is portrait only! I wouldn't care less if it hadn't been bundled with the new update, but it has, so I expect it fit in with the rest of the product (especially considering the Dock is Landscape only). It doesn't. But, once again, I find myself thinking that Dell are now simply pushing the streak as a large screened mobile phone and that portrait is the way forward. It's not that I want to use AccuWeather (I can't anyway, see below), but it's indicative of Dell's direction.

The volume control: Is the wrong way round. I know the release notes for the Froyo update stated that they'd changed the volume control orientation to be the same, whether in portrait or landscape to avoid confusion (can't say I was one of the confused), but now the graphic for the volume goes in the opposite direction to that of the volume rocker when in landscape mode. I'm looking at you, Dell QA!

HDMI Dock line-out: Pre update I could sit my Steak in it's HDMI dock, have the media volume right down (it always remembered and lowered the volume when I docked it, and raised it when un-docked), then have music, unaffected by the media volume, output via the 3.5mm line-out socket on the back of the dock. Post update it now outputs via both line-out and speaker, all the time, and turning the volume down turns it down for both the speaker and the line-out. I consider that a fault and I expect Dell to fix it. I cannot now use it as my media-player as I once could. I expected QA to pick up on this one, too.

Apps keep crashing even though I've 'factory' reset my Streak: The main culprit is AccuWeather. Enabling the widget caused it to crash within 20 seconds, after I'd launched another app (such as Kindle). Even if the widget is not used it, nor the app itself, it still manages to crash quite often (I can only assume it's running in the background regardless, which is annoying 'cause I don't want AccuWeather at all). Assistant Free (what ever that is) also crashes with concerning frequency. I find that annoying, as well, to find it running in the back ground regardless of me using it or not! Android Market has also crashed a number of occasions. The Browser was crashing every time I closed it, but it seems to be behaving OK since the factory reset. I vaguely recall maybe 2 or 3 crashes previous to the 2.2 update (in 5 / 6 months) and none of those were with anything that came pre-installed. I must have had 20 crashes in the last 2 days...

The 'Too Many Redirect' errors are popping up all over the place, and not just in the default browser. It's happened to me using Xscope 6 as well.

Forums aren't generally the place to request support, so I'll be off to some other part of the Dell website to try and resolve these issues. That is if Dell are actually providing web / e-mail support for the Streak yet, 'cause they weren't.

No Events found!