Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2010 08:00

Dell Streak Upgrade to 2.2

Can anyone tell me when the Froyo 2.2 upgrade will be available for my Dell Streak in the UK. This seems to be a closely guarded secret. I would appreciate any feedback. When and if it is available, how will I get it? Will it be a download by phone or off the PC? CHeers John

2 Posts

July 28th, 2010 10:00

You have to beg for dell's mercy :emotion-45:

29 Posts

July 28th, 2010 11:00

Can anyone tell me when the Froyo 2.2 upgrade will be available for my Dell Streak in the UK. This seems to be a closely guarded secret. I would appreciate any feedback. When and if it is available, how will I get it? Will it be a download by phone or off the PC? CHeers John

The first part of the question... when ? your quess is as good as mine. Sometime in 2010

How will you get it? It will be downloadable OTT (over the air) so, directly to your phone, or I believe you could also install it via a cable

8 Posts

July 28th, 2010 20:00

I've heard late 2010. For some reason Dell thinks this is acceptable. By the time Froyo comes out on the Streak, Android 3.0 will probably be in testing or being released I bet.

August 9th, 2010 06:00

I'm in the UK and have just purchased a Dell Streak. I can't say that I'm overly impressed or satisfied with my purchase as the device keeps crashing. I too would LOVE to know when either 2.1 or 2.2 will be released for the device, as at the moment it's borderline useless (crashes on about 50% of the web pages I visit).

I'm confused about what's going to be released when. According to articles I have read, 2.1 will be released over-the-air for the Dell Streak in September (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/21/dell-streak-to-bump-up-to-android-2-1-in-september-hopefully-sh/). I really hope that Dell do something quickly as this device is severely let down by unstable software/OS. Is crashes so many times every day while performing trivial tasks like surfing the web. I feel like I have wasted my money on a prototype device.

The problem in this day and age is that everyone's in such a hurry in this cut-throat tablet/mobile space that things are rushed and not QA'ed properly. Love the look of the device, love the screen, but the user-experience is totally destroyed by buggy software.

2 Posts

August 25th, 2010 11:00

after hours and hours of negociation, threats of leaving and catching out o2 managers in doublespeak they have confirmed to me today that they are not bothering with 2.1 and they are testing 2.2 at the moment and "hope" to release it in september if all the testing with the network goes ok. i had this confirmed by a customer service manager and a tech support manager separatly

8 Posts

August 25th, 2010 15:00

so wht abt those unlocked ones that ordered through dell???

14 Posts

August 26th, 2010 01:00

Thank you for the information, it was very useful. I have had very few problems with my Streak but one I do have is that when I set my alarm it goes off on time, If I snooze the alarm, the clock on the phone jumps forward by 10 minutes. I don't bother to snooze it anymore. Just wondered if anyone has had anything like it happen to them?

One major concern is the phone speaker when talking "hands free" I have never hear such a tinny speaker on what supposed to be a top quality item. I paid £429 for this from the Carephone Warehouse and would have thought DELL whould have invested in a decent speaker for their flagship model. Apart from those niggles I do love everything about the Streak, so come on DELL, don't run away from the issues like APPLE did and you will have loyal customers for years to come.

August 26th, 2010 05:00

C'mon DELL, seriously... RELEASE THE UPDATE TO Android 2.2 and you will see how you will change everyones perspective towards the streak and how it will become the hottest phone/tablet in the market. its a no-brainer. what are you guys waiting for ??????? 90% of streak owners are previous iphone owners and we know how it feels to be limited on things. I love the streak, but not the 1.6.... 

2 Posts

December 21st, 2010 12:00

"after hours of negotiations and threats you finally got it confirmed that 2.1 wasnt going to be released for the streak. wow - thats a waste of time. why would you argue with dell reps whether 2.1 is going to be realeased or not - who cares. dell is real slow when it comes to adopting 2.2 and i think i am getting rid of my streak but seriously - you sound like you robbed a bank or held hostages or something. lol. what a funny post.

2 Posts

December 21st, 2010 16:00

Jesus, see what you mean, last time i drink and post :emotion-43:, i dont even remember posting that. "hours" would have been a bit of an exageration as well :-). mind you, the steak went back 2 months ago and got an HTC Desire. now just got to remember stay off the forums after the beer comes out, lesson learned.

2 Posts

January 13th, 2011 17:00

I just bought my Dell Streak, I owned an Iphone, and that is the reason I got an Android phone, I do not like Apple limitations, before buying my Streak, I read in a Best Buy magazine that the OS was the 2.2 version, but after trying to install TANGO on my Dell for video calling,  with not success, I found that the version is 1.6, and I want to upgrade the version... Well I am 30 days to decide if I want to keep this phone. I like it, I really do, but after reading this forum I think Dell is another Apple.

31 Posts

January 13th, 2011 18:00

Rumors says the At&t locked 2.2 is suppose to happen this week (between the 12th and 15th). We will see, I am within my 30 days too (day 21), but I really like the device, plan to keep it, but will go with the unofficial 2.2 update if the real deal isn't released by the time my 30 days is up.

No Events found!