Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 7th, 2015 08:00

Dell Venue 11 7140 - not booting after reboot/shutdown without power connected

Hi All,

I've been having problems with my new Dell Venue 11 7140 since I bought it. If I reboot or shutdown the the tablet without the power cable connected, it will hang on reboot/shutdown at a black screen looking like it has shutdown (but it hasn't). It will sit at this state forever or until the battery is completely depleted. If I press and hold the power button for 5-10 second I can force a shutdown and switch the tablet off.

It gets worse though; after I reboot the machine it just sits there at the spinning circle of dots and never goes anywhere. After a couple of tries it eventually goes into Windows recovery, but it never manages to recover anything. The only way to get the tablet working again is to reimage the OS back.

I've tried the following:

1. Latest BIOS A07 installed
  2. All latest device drivers from Dell pages
  3. All latest Windows update
  4. Tried Safe-mode boot, but get the spinning dots again
  5. Tried restore points which has once or twice got the PC to boot again, but the system is messed up. Built in Windows apps like photo viewer don't work any more and I just have to reimage.
  6. Tried running the Dell diagnostics, but that didn't find anything wrong

The funny thing is that if I reboot or shutdown with the power connected, then everything is OK. I can do this all day without any problems. Standby and Hibernate work OK both with and without the power attached.

I've tried everything that I can, but I'm at a stage where it's going to have to go back to Dell. Please can anyone give me any suggestions of what else I can try, thanks.

11 Posts

March 6th, 2016 12:00

To follow up on this post, the final solution to this issue was to return the tablet to Dell. The motherboard was replace under warranty and since it has been returned to me I've has no further issues.

11 Posts

September 22nd, 2015 10:00

In the absence of a solution I did a clean image back to Windows 8.1 which was much more stable, but not without it's problems.

I was never able to install or get the NFC working on the laptop due to an Intel Management Engine not responding issue. After talking to Dell, I've returned the tablet back to Dell for repair.

Hopefully it will come back working OK.

32 Posts

March 5th, 2016 07:00

For what it is worth, I had a similar type of situation. My tablet would not boot when connected to the mobile keyboard without external power. Slightly different though because if my tablet was running and I docked it in the keyboard I would experience a sudden shutdown. Had to send it back to Dell and they replaced a daughter board in the tablet which has resolved the issue.

No Events found!