Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2014 14:00

Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130 Freezes - Solved

I, as many of you, was frustrated over the constant freezing of my Dell Venue 11 Pro, 7130, 128GB SSD, 4GB memory tablet.  Dell support had me restore the OS, which did not solve the freezing problem.  I updated the BIOS(A10), firmware, MS updates, and all other pertinent required updates for hardware or software.  Still had the freezing issue.  I happened to notice that by having the Task Manager open on the performance tab, disk 0 (C:), that when the tablet activity would freeze, the disk 0 activity time would peg at 100% for approx. sixty seconds and then decrease, at which time normal activity would resume...until I tried to perform the next function.  I came across an article on Link Power Management that seemed to address the problem.  I went to the Apps screen, Intel Rapid Storage icon and opened it, clicked on the Performance button, and used the link to disable the Link Power Management. I rebooted the tablet and to my excitement the tablet was working without any freezes.  I now have the tablet that I expected when I bought it.

I hope this helps you.

June 16th, 2014 10:00

I too have been suffering from freezes - sometimes to the point that I had to re-boot the tablet!

I have tried your solution - so far I haven't experienced any freezes, but it's early days. Thanks for working this out and I'll give it a few days and then report back.

Sparky

4 Posts

July 5th, 2014 20:00

How has the fix been working? I am wanting to pick up the I3 or I5 but have been afraid to due to this issue.

July 6th, 2014 10:00

Hello:

Over the past few days the freezes seem to be fewer, and absolute freezes, where I had to re-boot to get out of the freeze, have so far, touch wood, not happened.

However, I think Dell still has some work to do!

Sparky

1 Message

August 27th, 2014 12:00

Greetings,

I found this thread and have done the Link Power step as suggest in OP; however, i still experience freezes and I'm runninig BIOS A12 plus all the latest Win8/Dell updates.

9 Posts

August 31st, 2014 07:00

I also disabled the link power management but still experience screen freezes frequently.

12 Posts

October 8th, 2014 05:00

Hello Jack,

I faced a similar issue, but funnily enough only with Gmail. Everytime I logged into my Gmail account, the Venue 11 Pro would freeze frequently - at every third word I typed or so and would stay there frozen for one minute. Really ennerving. I thought it was an issue caused by the battery keyboard, but after installing a wired keyboard the issue persisted. After a couple of weeks trying every solution I found in the Internet, including regedit modifications, yours finally solved the problem. I disabled the Link Power Management and now the Venue 11 Pro will not freeze anymore when I am writing an email into Gmail. Moreover, I noticed an increase in speed for all tasks, including opening MS Office documents. Many thanks for having shared your solution.

2 Posts

November 20th, 2014 01:00

Hi,

Can you confirm your Venue 11 is still working correctly?

I'm on the brink of buying one from the Dell Outlet, either the 7130 or the 7139 (Both have the freezing issues) and don't want to go through a constant return/replacement procedure as I have already done this with a previous tablet. I have read that the latest BIOS (A13) greatly improves the freezing issues as well as disabling the Link Power Management.

If anyone else has any info on this it would be greatly appreciated.

2 Posts

November 20th, 2014 03:00

Thanks for the speedy reply, 

Can you confirm which model you have( i3/i5) and approximately when you purchased it? I read they recalled some Dell Venue 11's (7130/7139) and am thinking its possible the refurbished unit I am looking to buy could potentially be one of the recalled products from earlier this year.

Thanks

12 Posts

Hi Ashcroft,

It suffered some hics on the same day I disabled the Link Power Management, but then I realized that perhaps I should better restart it. After restarting it, it worked like a breeze. I had even forgoten about this post here, as i am working since 8 October without any issues at all. I use it under a heavy load of installed software, including Office, photo editing and performing all kinds of multiple tasks, without any issue. The Gmail issue also was solved. Once the Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130 is working ok, one realizes it is really blazing fast.

Hi,

Can you confirm your Venue 11 is still working correctly?

I'm on the brink of buying one from the Dell Outlet, either the 7130 or the 7139 (Both have the freezing issues) and don't want to go through a constant return/replacement procedure as I have already done this with a previous tablet. I have read that the latest BIOS (A13) greatly improves the freezing issues as well as disabling the Link Power Management.

If anyone else has any info on this it would be greatly appreciated.

12 Posts

Glad to have helped. Mine is 7130, i5, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD, shipped on May 2014, after Dell resolved the BSOD and other issues  from previous batches. However, I am not sure of the exact date of the batches that had issues, if I am not mistaken the problems were from end 2013 to March 2014 shipments, but not sure. I had googled and found the exact date, but did not keep this information with me..

1 Message

March 8th, 2015 05:00

Thank you so much.

I had 6 weeks talking to dell almost every day trying to resolve this. I reinstalled windows 3 times. Then they sent me a usb stic to completely wipe the thing and start again.. Then tried that three times. Then Dell replaced the motherboard under warrenty and yet another reinstall..

You can not believe my frustration to find it was still freezing and dell then saying my pro warrenty has run out and that department did not want to help any more ,

My tablet was freezing so bad that it was useless,

Dell support not very good as I asked them repeatly have they any record of this problem happening before to which answer was no and continued with generic problem help..

Finally I read this post and problem solved,

This post is a year old and dell seem completely unaware of the solution

Thank you for this post . You have returned my tablet to a usefull piece of kit

March 19th, 2015 15:00

Thanks so much for this advice.  So far, it has worked beautifully - the constant freezing has stopped.

And if anyone asks again, please do not waste your money on the Dell Venue 11's.   I've had mine since early 2014 and it is a mess.  It has consumed so much of my time with soo many problems.  I've always purchased Dell computers.  Never again.

1 Message

May 29th, 2015 12:00

Disabling Link Power Management appears to have solved at least some of my freeze / stutter issues with my Venue 11 Pro i5. Thanks for documenting it!

June 18th, 2015 14:00

excelent you are right fixed. thx

No Events found!