Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 29th, 2016 08:00

Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130 'The System Cannot Communicate with Your Battery'

I did a search, honest. But I haven't read a solution to this issue, so I'm asking again.

Last week I purchased a Dell Travel Keyboard (P/N K12A) for my Dell Venue 11 Pro (7130). It has an internal battery which will allow me to work remotely for a longer period of time.

When I received it, I docked my tablet and immediately got an error message that 'The System Cannot Communicate with Your Battery'. Hmm, I figured maybe it shipped with a dead battery, so I un-docked the tablet and plugged the keyboard in via the micro-USB port inside the hinge area.

Once I plugged it in, the white LED light on the side, just under the 'ESC' key, came on for about 5-8 seconds, then went off. I can't tell if it's charging or not, or perhaps has a full charge and the light turns off at 100% power.

Either way, I left it plugged in overnight and when I docked again, the same problem appears, the same error message displays. Under Power Options in the control panel, Battery #2 reads 'Not Present' even though the tablet is docked.

The keyboard itself works fine, as does the touch pad, but the tablet doesn't recognize the second battery.

Is this a defective keyboard? It is a software issue? Hardware connection internal to the keyboard? I've seen a number of issues and solutions, including the guy on YouTube who ripped his keyboard apart to jiggle the connection. I'd rather not go to that length if at all possible...

Can someone point me to a solution for this issue?

1 Message

March 15th, 2016 10:00

I'm experiencing the same problem! Did you ever resolve the issue? If yes, would you be willing to help me out? 

3 Posts

March 15th, 2016 18:00

I haven't the first idea what to do. I have seen no replies to this thread, that's for sure.

Dell tech support wants me to return my tablet for service, when it's the keyboard that won't take a charge. The tablet works fine. ::shrug:: I'm just going to send it back for a replacement, I guess.

2 Posts

February 9th, 2017 00:00

I have this same issue.  Is this a widespread issue with the dell keyboard?  Is there a fix yet?

3 Posts

February 9th, 2017 07:00

For me, the resolution came from using the official, factory-supplied Dell keyboard charging cord. If I used just any micro-USB cord (like the one for my cell phone) to charge the keyboard, the keyboard wouldn't take a charge. But using the Dell-supplied charging cable allowed the keyboard to accept a full charge.

I don't know why it worked that way, but it did.

Since then we've 86'd the Dell stuff and I'm currently using a Surface Pro. It's pretty good so far, fingers crossed.

No Events found!