Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 9th, 2015 21:00

Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130 power button doesn't work

I just purchased this device and can't get the power button to turn the screen on and off as the manual suggests should be possible.  If I press and hold the power button then it does a hard shutdown, and if I hold it down when off it will vibrate for a second and then turn on, but a short press doesn't do anything when Windows is running.

Tried the short diagnostics and no problems found. Upgraded the BIOS to A13, updated the drivers to the latest versions for all available installers, updated screen, digitizer, and camera firmware. I also saw a post from early 2014 with the same issue where someone suggested turning off fast boot but that didn't change anything either. All Windows updates have been applied.

How do I get the power button to work?

January 11th, 2015 20:00

So after trying a few more things I decided to give up for now and made a soft sleep shortcut on the desktop so I had a quick way to at least get the screen to turn off. The command run is: rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

This seems to do more of a hibernate since it has to boot up from the bios each time it is turned back on (though the arguments given tell it not to hibernate), but it was better than nothing.

I tested this worked a couple times then restarted the system. When I did this it decided to install updates which it didn't even say any were pending. When it started back up the power button now works.  I'm not sure what changed or if running the command made a difference, but at least it is now working.

43 Posts

November 5th, 2015 01:00

Sorry for the super-necropost, but what happens is that whenever the device hibernates (wether regular hibernation or hybrid shut-down) there is chance that the power button will become unresponsive on the next startup. When updates are installed Windows performs a "complete" shutdown and reboot, leading to the button working again, for a time.

No Events found!