Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 17th, 2015 14:00

Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 WiFi becomes disconnected during idle or waking from sleep

I have a Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 in which the wi-fi consistently becomes disconnected when either the tablet is idle for a period of time, or if it has woken from sleep. Period of time varies -- more than 5 minutes, but less than an hour.

When wi-fi connection is lost, the only way to connect again is to reboot. Not much of a solution. USB 3.0-to-Ethernet adapter is rock-solid, but there isn't much point in having a tablet if you can't be wireless at some point.

Things I've tried:

- Optimized the intel driver settings roaming agressivenes: medium-low, Throughput booster: enabled, Transmit Power: highest.

- toggling airplane mode, disabling/enabling via Network Connections

- creating a custom wireless profile

Really, not sure what I can try next. I've used other Windows 8.1 Pro laptops, and none of them have been this spotty.

If anyone has a solution out there, I'm game to try. Otherwise, I'll be returning this back to Dell as a defective product. There seems to be issues about earlier versions of the Venue 11 Pro, but I haven't been able to find much on the 7140 version.

Fully updated Windows 8.1 Pro. Using Intel dual-band Wireless AC 7265 adapter with v17.13.11.5 of the driver. BIOS version A03.

May 13th, 2015 04:00

This was happening to me on my Dell but I finally, finally cured it. It's so darn simple.

Someone had advised me to do this after doing the power management thing:

Go to network and sharing center ,click on change adapter settings then right click on the wireless adapter listed click on properties click on configure once you go to power management tab disable the check box which says '"Allow the computer to turn off to save power 

HOWEVER on another forum I saw someone go back and ENABLE/TICK this check box to allow the computer to turn off to save Power'. 

That fixed mine. It seems counterintuitive but it works. So if your box is checked, uncheck it, restart machine, then check it again. If you box is already unchecked then check it. 

Wifi has not disconnected since and that's weeks ago!!

828 Posts

July 6th, 2015 14:00

You are going to have problems with Windows 10 until we release the updated BIOS and drivers to support that OS.   Coming fairly soon.

1.2K Posts

July 7th, 2015 06:00

Hi Airswitch,

Thank you for writing to us !

As Brian has already suggest I would request you to wait for the update to be released and once its released we can expect a resolution .

Kindest Regards ,

1.2K Posts

March 19th, 2015 09:00

Hi ,

Good day!Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum .

The reason for this issue is that when a Windows 8.1-based computer , the Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS) notifies the wireless service that the wireless adapter is ready before the adapter has completed its initialization .

To resolve this issue I would suggest you to update the system BIOS to A14 version and update the Wifi driver to the latest Version .

Note :while trying to update BIOS you will be prompted to update the subsequent versions of BIOS after A3 until A14.

If there are any more queries do reply to this post with the service tag of the system sent via private message and we will be glad to resolve them for you .

Kindest Regards,

March 26th, 2015 07:00

We have the same issue, Vsumaling

Also using 7140.

Have you tried switching off Connected Standby?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\

REG_DWORD CsEnabled 1 > 0

March 26th, 2015 07:00

Hi Jennifer,

The latest BIOS for Venue 11 Pro 7140 is A04

Regards,

Frans

1.2K Posts

March 26th, 2015 10:00

Hi ,

Thank you for your reply!

We would suggest you to try performing these troubleshooting steps and advise ,

1)Go to network and sharing center ,click on change adapter settings then right click on the wireless adapter listed click on properties click on configure once you go to power management tab disable the check box which says '"Allow the computer to turn off to save power ".

2)Also uninstall & reinstall the network drivers ,after which  do restart the system  .

Do reply to this community thread if the issue still persists.

Kind Regards,

828 Posts

March 31st, 2015 11:00

I have a Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 in which the wi-fi consistently becomes disconnected when either the tablet is idle for a period of time, or if it has woken from sleep. Period of time varies -- more than 5 minutes, but less than an hour.

When wi-fi connection is lost, the only way to connect again is to reboot. Not much of a solution. USB 3.0-to-Ethernet adapter is rock-solid, but there isn't much point in having a tablet if you can't be wireless at some point.

Things I've tried:

- Optimized the intel driver settings roaming agressivenes: medium-low, Throughput booster: enabled, Transmit Power: highest.

- toggling airplane mode, disabling/enabling via Network Connections

- creating a custom wireless profile

Really, not sure what I can try next. I've used other Windows 8.1 Pro laptops, and none of them have been this spotty.

If anyone has a solution out there, I'm game to try. Otherwise, I'll be returning this back to Dell as a defective product. There seems to be issues about earlier versions of the Venue 11 Pro, but I haven't been able to find much on the 7140 version.

Fully updated Windows 8.1 Pro. Using Intel dual-band Wireless AC 7265 adapter with v17.13.11.5 of the driver. BIOS version A03.

Can you please confirm that you are using the Dell.com version of the Intel driver and not a driver pulled from another site?   I'm using a 7140 as my regular work PC and haven't had any problems with dropping WIFI either at work or at home.   

Has it been this way since you received it?   Any special image or just a standard Windows 8.1 load?   Has any hardware been replaced on it?

Have you tried this at another location to make sure this isn't a router compatibility issue?

Thanks.

4 Posts

April 1st, 2015 14:00

Hi Brian B,

This issue has existed from the unboxing stage and I have tried to resolve it by updating drivers from Dell and directly from Intel. Just when I think I've solved it, it comes back. I will attempt some other recommendations posted here in the next little while and will update the thread.

Trying it in another location is a good idea -- if only to rule that out. However, other Dell Venue tablets are operating in our work building location, and Intel AC 7265 are quite prevalent in most of the machines I deploy here.

12 Posts

April 2nd, 2015 21:00

Hi,

I  have same issue since opening box last Friday 28th March 2015, spent a day and updated all drivers from Dell on Tuesday

Running latest bios and WiFi drivers and all the 30 or so updates from Dell support drivers and software, rerun diagnostics over the Dell support. Contacted tech support Thursday morning and they did a remote to my tablet and changed a few strings it worked for awhile but not working today.

Frankly not amused I've spent a week trying to resolve this issue and no success. One could think this Dell Venue 11 pro 7140 is faulty and should be replaced.

Leigh.

1.2K Posts

April 3rd, 2015 08:00

Hi ,

Regret the inconvenience caused !The other option I have for you is if you can provide the service tag of the system via private message we can look into the details of the system and then pick it up for repair according to the warranty active on the system .

Awaiting your reply ,

Kind Regards,

12 Posts

April 7th, 2015 01:00

Hi Jennifer,                                                                                                        Saturday 4th April 2015

This whole process from order date 14th March 2015 to now has been frustrating, my mistake was to get one of the sales consultants on chat to check the saved cart, had compatible accessories for this tablet. From then on, after multiple quotes in the end he still managed to get the address wrong and missed putting screen protector on the order, multiple emails and phone calls the following week finally got address changed but couldn't get screen protector added to order in the end I ordered it over the internet. I should have cancelled order when I wanted to.

What should have been a simple process is now a nightmare the Tablet with screen protector needs to be replaced has not worked properly since unboxing and first switch on , spent many hours of installing updates, contacted technical assistance last Thursday they did a remote hookup changed some things worked for a little time.

Totally disappointed

Leigh

PS update 7th April 2015 started factory reinstall last Friday reinstalled all recomended updates more wasted time tested over weekend WiFi still not working after sleep mode. When I check for new updates keeps asking to reinstal theses 2 updates already done, reinstal them over and over still tells me to update them, second file fails to instal have to manually instal O2 Micro file searches wrong place for missing component.

"Automatic updates

These updates can be installed automatically.

Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer View full driver details

Chipset_Driver_3TY1R_WN_10.0.31.1000_A02.EXE | Chipset (107MB) | Recommended

Download File

Add to download list

O2 Micro OZ777xxx/OZ621XX memory card reader Driver View full driver details

Chipset_Driver_VPNKY_WN_3.0.8.45_A06.EXE | Chipset (16MB) | Recommended

This file will automatically self-install after downloading.Restart required "

There is something wrong with this tablet.

Download File

Add to download list

4 Posts

April 8th, 2015 09:00

Hello Brian,

I think I may have solved my solution. After following some people's advice about uninstalling and re-installing the wifi driver, I had a thought about how Intel's PROset/Wireless software seems to want broker the wi-fi connection on other Dell machines. Instead of re-installing Intel's driver and PROset software, I installed just the driver.

Over the last couple of days, I've been using the wireless in our building very reliably. I had a small issue after a series of Microsoft Updates, but "forgetting" the Wireless Profile seems to have solved that and no further issues have occurred.

I don't know if this was the single solution to the issue, afterall, I have already tried updating the BIOS to A04 as well as tweaking the wifi settings to have less-agressive roaming and boosting power to the transmission. I'm not about to undo those changes since they indicate that I would have less reliable service.

Still, It may be worthwhile for Dell and Intel to figure out why the accompanying software to their driver appears to cause this issue on the Dell Venue 11. I've spent enough time on the matter. I'll leave it to those who are more equipped than I to come out with a better solution.

Regards,

Virgil

1.2K Posts

April 8th, 2015 09:00

Hi ,

Thank you for the reply! I have checked the information provided by you ,as you have mentioned you have spoken to the tech support team hence I would request you to provide the service tag of the system (via private message) .With this I can  look into the details of the system and the troubleshooting done by the tech support team to avoid repetition and get the issue sorted .

Awaiting your reply ,

828 Posts

April 28th, 2015 13:00

Thanks Virgil.  I've asked our WIFI team to look further into this.  I still can't personally reproduce but one of my co-workers had this happen yesterday.  The only way to get it back was to restart the tablet.

No Events found!