Since roughly two weeks I have this strange behavior of charting the tablet.
The charger charges only for a few seconds to a few minutes before stopping charging for a few minutes and start charging again. This is a part of the battery report (powercfg /energy)
The battery is still fine and in good health according to the Bios. Already for months the standard charging port (the USB port) has a defect and it charges at 3 watt if used. I checked it with a different standard 24 watt AC adapter but still at 3 watt. replacing the USB cable and wiggling didn't help either. But since this Dell tablet was imported from the USA, I am not getting the 2 years standard warranty in the Europe Union according to a Dell representative. The tablet is in use since may 2015, so roughly 19 months.
So I connected a 30 watt adapter (as used for a dell streak / dell latitude ST2) to the bottom of the tablet and that worked fine for months Even in the BIOS it reported 30watt charging. But now since a day or 10 I have this strange behavior.
in the same report I found that the fully charged capacity is less then
But when I shutdown my tablet or let it fall in sleep eventually It starts charging to 100% again, or better 126% because now the full capacity is back at 36,434 mWh. But the minute I turn on the tablet the capacity falls down to two/third of the capacity. I did turn my tablet on at 10am. As I leave the tablet connected while using it slowly de-charges.
I really think it is software related, and not a hardware failure (since the charger charge, and the battery is still at good health). I even think it is Intel Management Engine firmware related (yes firmware), because even when I shutdown this tablet the going on and off of charging continues.
What I already tried:
- Updating the BIOS again, even while it was already at the latest version. Hoping that this would reload Intel Magement Engine firmware
- BIOS settings back to factory settings. However now I had to reinstall windows 10.
- remove the battery and reinstalled it again.
- blew air into both the charging ports. still the USB charge port is at 3watt.
- upgraded all drivers (such as intel management engine, performance and thermal drivers) even to newer versions than Dell offers. But also downgraded some back.
- upgraded to the latest windows 10 build (insiders preview)
Anybody any clues what happens and how to fix it.
Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.
Please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.
Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information