Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2014 18:00

Dell Venue 11 Pro Travel Keyboard - touchpad isn't responding

I purchased the DVP11 with the travel keyboard, and the touchpad has stopped responding after initially working. The keyboard is fully charged, as is the DVP. All other keys on the keyboard work. Dell Support tried updating the BIOS and several driver settings, but no change. Thoughts before I send the keyboard back?

May 6th, 2014 09:00

The solution I posted on page one of this forum worked with the battery mostly drained, I can fully charge the tablet and keyboard batteries and everything works fine as long as the charging is done with the tablet docked to the keyboard. I can also understand how copperzepher's solution worked (assuming the keyboard battery was mostly drained at the time). The key to maintaining touchpad functionality is to only charge when docked. If the keyboard is charged separately, the touchpad will stop responding again.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 6th, 2014 16:00

Dell would like to capture a few Venue 11 Pro systems from the field that travel keyboard issues have been reported for testing. These will primarily be systems here in the US and Canada. The way that this works is that a system exchange will be sent out, once received the original system will be shipped back to Dell for testing. If any of you that have posted on this thread regarding problems with the keyboard dock are interested please post here and I will send a friend request.

Thank you

TB

6 Posts

May 7th, 2014 06:00

Terry - I'd be happy to work with you as we have a couple of failed mobile keyboards at our company. Our Dell corporate executive account manager is Sean Sullivan. He is to have already begun a ticket with Dell for this issue on behalf of our company. Erick

33 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 13:00

My mobile keyboard dock suddenly out of the blue had the touchpad completely stop working. So weird, I used it everday and has no damage. I have a A01 motherboard Venue Pro 7130. The keyboard works perfectly but the touchpad just doesn't work anymore. I'm not wasting my time cracking it open, I'm chatting with pro support now to get it replaced.

1 Message

May 30th, 2014 16:00

we just bought 150 Dell Venue 11 Pro with keyboards, are you telling me the keyboard will stop working after a week or so and there is no fix for it yet ?? OMG  :emotion-39:

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

May 30th, 2014 21:00

They are clearly aware of the issue with some stock, because I was sent a new keyboard within days of reporting my issue, WITHOUT being required to return the original for repair. New one works fine to date, but will update here as I continue testing...
If the issues are fixed in later stock your people will absolutely love using them. I certainly really enjoy mine, and still don't want anything else...next gen need only be slightly lighter, but otherwise great fun to use.

17 Posts

June 2nd, 2014 05:00

I too was sent a new keyboard... eventually. Been using the new one ever since and it's working fine, although I haven't tried charging the keyboard directly as I did the original one which seemed to be the root cause of the problem. I'm not going to risk it either, but it is annoying that I can't charge my keyboard whilst my tablet is docked.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 14th, 2014 14:00

Tried the method suggested by chazthespaz, and it worked for my 5130 machine too.

Run that firmware fix program twice, first time it haven't work. After a reboot and tried again,also reboot again, it works now. It seems the system lost recognition of the touchpad, Maybe Tthat firmware is resetting it.

4 Posts

June 24th, 2014 22:00

hello, I am having the same problem with my 5130 and battery keyboard, after charging the keyboard seperately, the touchpad went dead, and I went through all disccussions to find out your registry hacking may be a solution so can you pls tell me the detailed solution thanks a lot a dead touchpad is realy annoying

June 25th, 2014 15:00

I don't know about a registry hack, but the "firmware fix" I detailed on page one of this forum worked for me and at least three others. You may have to apply the firmware update twice if you have not applied it before. Before attempting this fix, make sure the keyboard battery charge is 80% or lower. Once the touchpad is functional again, it must be charged only through the tablet when docked. If the keyboard is charged directly, it will lose touchpad functionality again. The firmware update file can be found on the Dell V11P 5130 support page: http://downloads-us.dell.com/published/Pages/dell-venue-11-pro.html

4 Posts

June 26th, 2014 23:00

Thanks, I tried the firmware, but it didn't work, so my case is not the same as yours. thanks anyway

17 Posts

June 27th, 2014 07:00

For me, the firmware fix didn't work either and I think this is a bit of a red herring/coincidence that it worked. There clearly is an issue with the battery in the Keyboard, which is caused by charging the keyboard directly. Everyone who has had this issue has pretty much confirmed this to be the case, with the best fix either to let the battery drain (and then charge it again when connected to the tablet) or crack open the keyboard and disconnect the battery inside.

1 Message

July 4th, 2014 14:00

I had this same issue, so carried out the firmware update. The brought my touchpad back to life and my keyboard now works to log onto windows but when windows is loaded up. When I press the keys it just beeps. If I hold the keys down the letter will appear. This to me is a software issue on mine but I have carried out a full restore of my Venue 11 tonight and this fault is still the same. The top row of buttons for volume, brightness etc work fine. I can also confirm that this was a result of charging direct from the keyboard, but I have let it totally drain a couple of times before charging it up connected to the tablet.

33 Posts

July 7th, 2014 15:00

I got my 4th replacement in today. It works fine so far. I won't charge it directly, that's for sure. When the venue isn't attached to the keyboard it does not left click properly, but when turned on it works, so we'll see how long this one lasts. I do love the keyboard combo when it works. I use this as my main PC at work.

4 Posts

July 7th, 2014 23:00

I confirm that after draining the battery inside the keyboard the touchpad will come to life, but only for a while. in a new battery cycle, the touchpad can be dead again by various factors,  for example, when closing the tablet with keyboard, when restart, sometimes even when tablet sleeps, that's really annoying.

think of if crack- open can make any improvement, need help from experienced geeks!!!

No Events found!