Highlighted
Venue John
1 Copper

RE: Dell Venue 11 Pro Travel Keyboard - touchpad isn't responding

Jump to solution

I've got another 'solution' to the 'keyboard problem': Time. Having left the travel keyboard disconnected from the tablet (which was in use, including Bluetooth keyboard and mouse) for the better part of two weeks, which allowed the keyboard battery to drain completely I'm sure, upon reconnecting the tablet to the keyboard and plugging the tablet in the keys but not the trackpad worked (keyboard battery showing 0%). After a full charge the trackpad is now working as well.

No idea what corrected itself. Possibly a variation of the 'disconnect the battery' fix.

Good luck to everyone else having this (keyboard/trackpad inoperable) problem. Pity Dell can't get this sorted and do an automatic replace whenever a new customer develops the problem. I've told at least one person shopping for a new computer not to get a Dell. Get something like the Venue w/ travel keyboard, but from another manufacturer.  

Highlighted
Tech Genius
1 Copper

Jump to solution

So are you saying to charge the tablet while the keyboard is attached? My tablet is a school tablet and i dont want to pay them.

Highlighted
Venue John
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yes. But in reverse. Only charge the keyboard via the tablet. Only charge the keyboard when it is attached to the tablet. - I have not had a problem charging the tablet separately and then reattaching to the keyboard. YMMV -  Do NOT charge the keyboard directly. I don't know why but that appears to sometimes cause a problem resulting in the keyboard not working.  

So are you saying to charge the tablet while the keyboard is attached? My tablet is a school tablet and i dont want to pay them.

Highlighted
amispirma
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I also have  not working touch pad on my DV11Pro mobile kboard after directly charinng kbrd by Dell power supply adapter (other keys work good).
It is necessary to open the case of the keyboard and disconnect the battery connector for the restoration of the touch pad... GOD !
Is there a COMBINATION of kbrd KEYS to make a reset the keyboard to factory settings without opening the case keyboard?
I think the gentlemen from Dell service center, who occasionally look here, could tell everyone THIS WAY of RESET for mobile keyboard !?

Highlighted
amispirma
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Sorry, meant travel keyboard with battery.

Highlighted
karoyal
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi

Unfortunately you have two choices, either get used to using an external mouse until the battery in the keyboard runs out, or take the case apart and disconnect the battery!

Can't believe Dell are still selling this product with this problem, and not even putting an advisory notice in the box or something....

Highlighted
amispirma
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank You for answer, karoyal ! 
After 15 hours of discharging, when the total (2 battery) level was below 20% of the touchpad working 100% again.
Question: how many such travel keyboards is still sold in the "like a new" condition with this defect and price at 50%  off ???

p.pavuk
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Had same irritating issue on my Venue 11 Pro 5130 (atom one). But, I've actually found a way how to fix this issue. Tried before everything, disconnecting th battery, registry fixes and etc... Anyway at some point touchpad become unresponsible. But, what I accidentally found - while touchpad is not reacting to gestures, and not moving a cursor - the click function on touchpad still working. Anyways, this not bring me closer to solution.

As always, solution is just magic - all you need to do to restore bloody thing - is to run SynaUtilitySfx.exe while tablet is connected to keyboard. The utility will fail telling that touchscreen device not found - but this will enable both touchscreen and a touchpad. Despite I am an IT professional - I can't explain what going on, but this method worked for me.

I've disconnected tablet from keyboard and put the keyboard on charge, which immediately ruined the touchpad when I've connected keyboard back to tablet. I've run  SynaUtilitySfx.exe again - all works. Did it few times to prove - it does fix the bloody thing!

You can get the SynaUtilitySfx.exe stuff from the dell website, they call it Panel Touch Firmware on Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130.

DELL - SORT THIS OUT!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
dacland
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This works for me. Thanks.

Highlighted
Venue John
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Unfortunately I found another way to 'break' the travel keyboard: run both the keyboard and Venue (attached) down to 0% (when the computer shuts down for lack of power). Then the keyboard wouldn't work again. It took a couple of charge/discharge cycles over the course of months. (The problem happened at about Thanksgiving so I didn't mess with it much over the holidays; why ruin the mood?) Now, happily, its working again. (Though not multi-touch / gesture on the touchpad but as its working as a basic touchpad I'll take what I can get and keep hoping for the best.)

Of course now Win8.1 has had mail/etc. apps stop working after a software update that shouldn't have affected them so I need to refresh/reinstall. Again. Shudder.

Keep Hoping For The Best