potatoesse
1 Copper

RE: Dell Venue 11 Pro won't turn on

Jump to solution

Very old issue.  But just happened to me yesterday. 4/11/2017.  Normally if I let my battery run too low.  I'll have to randomly do a series of letting it charge/holding power button.  This time none of that worked.  I let it charge overnight, next day the same thing.  Unplug, battery out, battery back in, plug, hold power button.  It will vibrate but nothing else will happen.

Finally my solution this time was to pulled the CMOS battery.  I left it unplugged.  Plugged my charger in, no battery at all (CMOS or Main battery), it powers on!

Everything working fine now.  The trick really is to not let this tablet run low or out of battery.  It starts to do some strange stuff.

I thought I give an updated reply since this issue is from 2014, but I was searching for answers yesterday, 2017.

NeoMatrixJR
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Well...pretty sure mine's fully dead.  No light when I plug it in.  Put a USB meter on it (one capable of reading the 19.5v...I've used it before) and it shows 5V @ .02A.  So it's not pulling any power. Owned that POS for < 2 years and get no support.  $500+ down the drain.  Never buying another Dell...should have known better in the first place...should have known there was a reason they were so much cheaper than the surface.

0 Kudos
tkkchan852
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Finally, I have this problem a couple weeks ago. When plug-ing the charger, no light was on. Finally, I opened the back cover. Disconnected both battery and CMOS for a night.  Reconnect by next day, it turns on again.  

The most funniest thing is, all battery (tablet and keyboard) was fully charged.

0 Kudos
OttToyBoy
1 Copper

Jump to solution

@tkkchan852wrote:

[...] Disconnected both battery and CMOS battery [...]

I have a Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140, Model: T07G002, Processor: M5Y71
Today the tablet turned off right in the middle of using it.  I couldn't get it turned on no matter what. USB 24W charger made the charge light by the power button glow for a second or two a few times then stopped even doing that.  I also have the docking station so I put the tablet in that too to charge.  No love.

No matter of removing the battery, pressing power for 20 seconds, trickle charge, etc.. had any effect. No activity whatsoever when the power button was pressed (no haptic feedback, no lights, no screen glow, no nothing...)

Finally I followed the advice to remove both the main battery *AND* the CMOS battery (do a quick youtube search if you're not sure where the CMOS battery is -- there are videos).  Next, I put it on the dock and held power for 2 seconds and... got the haptic feedback!!.  

It took a while to boot and it had lost all CMOS settings including boot sequence.  I changed it to "Legacy" boot and restarted.  Windows 10 came up with the system exactly where it had crashed (same browser page up, everything).

Powered completely down, plugged the CMOS battery back in, plugged the battery back in and then powered it on again normally.  An interesting note: the main battery was at 100% charged -- this is likely why the power charge light never came on!!

Why it wouldn't power up with a 100% charged battery &/or with power being supplied by the docking station is beyond me.  Let's hope Dell has addressed this in their newer tablets, laptops, & convertibles (although from reading on the internet, it doesn't look like they have).  Charging issues have always been the Achilles' heel of any Dell that I've ever used/owned -- must be basing all their products off the same faulty design for years.

0 Kudos
LabradorMan
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Following the procedure for battery and CMOS battery removal (disconnection will do the trick) worked great on my 7140 version on Win 10.  Nothing else worked.  Just disconnecting the battery didn't solve it, definitely had to disconnect CMOS battery too (easy to do both without removing them).  Then just had to reset the date and time on the next boot with batteries re-attached.

This is a pain for a simple battery run-down scenario and not what is intended I'm sure. Otherwise our 7140 has been excellent in every respect.  We use the Dell keyboard with additional battery and that has been excellent too.

Thanks for the best advice on this issue I've found!

0 Kudos