Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 22nd, 2014 12:00

Dell Venue 11 keyboard turns off the tablet??

Hello, I have been having some problems with the travel keyboard with embedded battery I bought for my Dell Venue 11. I noticed when I connect it to my tablet, it will just shut down my tablet and I will lose anything i was working on. I also noticed that when the keyboard is connected, it will randomly in the middle of me using my tablet shut it down. 

is it just a faulty keyboard or is this a problem i can fix? Help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Message

November 4th, 2014 22:00

Any fix to this issue yet? I am returning my venue 11 7130 for this exact reason and should be getting a new one in a week or so. I can't say that it's the keyboard because it works when the tablet is plugged in,  but as soon as you pull the power cord it crashes and all work is lost.  I also can't use the tablet/keyboard on battery as it simply won't turn on unless I remove it from the dock.

13 Posts

December 20th, 2014 16:00

Tablet get's turned off when it moves slightly in the keyboard dock.

It literally shuts off without any warning. This does not happen with the docking station and never happens to the tablet itself.

This has the potential to be damaging to the tablet. Is it the power settings on the tablet, A BIOS issue, firmware needs updating on the keyboard or do I need to have the keyboard replaced?

Serious problem that needs to be resolved. I recently replaced my docking station and stylus pen and that seems to have fixed the problems with those 2 original peripherals.

What is the fix for this problem?

December 20th, 2014 18:00

It is a hardware issue.  I finally contacted Dell and told them that I read about the issue online and finally got through to someone who was aware of the problem.  After sending the tablet in only for it to have software reinstalled and no hardware work done, I called back and they sent a technician to my home with the part to replace the dock portion at the bottom of the tablet.

Since then, I have not had any resets whatsoever.  In fact, I had gotten so used to not moving my tablet AT ALL when it was connected to the keyboard that it was initially strange to see how I could finally start using it as it was meant.  Call Dell and have them replace the strip at the bottom of the tablet that connects to the keyboard.  It's strictly a hardware issue and no amount of updates or software fixes will fix it.

19 Posts

February 17th, 2015 03:00

I'm currently getting around this problem by covering the rightmost pin on the battery keyboard with a tiny piece of gorilla tape. This disables the battery without disabling the keyboard or trackpad. Also, I'm selling this thing on eBay and never looking back. The stylus is a horrorshow too.

14 Posts

February 17th, 2015 05:00

Agreed, worst purchase I have ever made. I never liked Ipads because they felt limited and love using windows in smaller touch screen form, but as a tablet its just horrific. I just received an Ipad for free for business and I find myself using it way more because of the hassle the tablet and keyboard combo has given me. I tried swapping it for a similarly priced laptop with permanently attached keyboard but Dell's customer service was so frustratingly ignorant and unwilling to help. They only wanted to try to "fix" my tablet with solutions that anyone who has a brain would know would not actually fix the problem. I will never be purchasing a Dell product ever again, mainly due to their customer service. 

828 Posts

February 17th, 2015 11:00

Yeah, you guys unfortunately have some sort of short.  The problem could be with the docking connector and associated cables within the tablet itself or it could be the connector or cable within the keyboard dock.   If you have access to another device or dock, you can determine which side has the problem pretty easily.   Support can address this for you with a service call.

Thx.

58 Posts

February 17th, 2015 15:00

Funny... About a year after the issue is thrown on the forum FINALLY an answer from Dell...

I love this moderated forum so much for the support of their beloved products!

14 Posts

February 18th, 2015 05:00

No kidding. I just recently posted my review on their website for the product, mentioning that I will not be purchasing from Dell again and will recommend the same to others... MOSTLY for their customer service, not just because of the poor product. I had to resort to online options of communication because I am stuck on hold for 45 minutes every single time I tried calling. Clearly no matter what option you use is terrible. 

828 Posts

February 18th, 2015 08:00

Sorry guys - I respond in my personal time and can't get to everything out here.   Apologies for your troubles.

13 Posts

February 18th, 2015 08:00

It was the keyboard docking station in my case

The pins do not seem to all be a the same heighth and if the docking connection to the keyboard is not tight enough then the tablet shorts out. I went through 2 replacement keyboards (battery backup kind) until I got one that worked.

They need to make those keyboards with pins set at the same heighth to avoid the problem and should work on tightening up the docking connection as this seems a bit on the loose side also

58 Posts

February 18th, 2015 15:00

Hey Brian,

Do not feel personally attacked... You at least respond and provide minimal feedback, what is known by you and what you may communicate.

It's just that you are the only -to us visible- employee of the big and mighty Dell company. And thus the only way to address a year of frustration you become the only possible target. If Michael (i mean Mr.Dell himself) would have an account, I am sure that we would urge him to take a brief look at the forum... His forum... Built, maintained and non-moderated by the same company that provides us with an expensive paperweight.

Even after a year the list of, let us formulate it as basic wishes, that would make the device that has the on paper best specs in the market with it's open architecture, even better (ok, usable) is still almost as long as a year agoo.

Try to exchange the battery on an iPad or Surface, no way... On the other hand... So far I never had the need to do so there, whereas on the 11p it sometimes becomes second nature to revive the thing...

Agreed... You (Dell) fixed the pen, ghost touch and stability is better. But we still have to apply patches, disable features, carry a poweradaptor and looooots of patience and creativity...

You are just our !!only!! hope some of the items discussed and even solved make it to the people that maybe (allow to) change it... We are thankfull you are even here, even as i know my responses are at least a bit sarcastic... After a year you become this way..

And so far I know this has cost Dell a lot of sale. Me, my company and the customers I advise have lost quite some fait in the usually good company it was.... Sorry for that...

14 Posts

February 19th, 2015 06:00

I'm glad Gotheike responded before I did. I will spare typing basically the same thing, but instead just whole-heartedly agree with his comments. 

February 23rd, 2015 07:00

I have been in contact with support numerous times over the past several months by phone.  Have been sent several keyboard replacements (on my 5th!), battery replacement and multiple, multiple techs taking over my system and checking the lid settings, updating BIOS, changing registry settings etc., etc., etc.   Over and over and over again. Nothing fixes this problem.

Is this a hardware problem or a software problem?  I am completely frustrated at this point.

Have any NEW ideas Brian?

2 Posts

February 24th, 2015 05:00

that is a great idea, I might actually consider them for future purchases again if they owned up to it and did a recall.

February 24th, 2015 05:00

I am on my third keyboard!!

I just wish that Dell would admit a problem and do a recall or replacement of these devices, they are just faulty, no matter how you chose to look at the issue and no amount of tech help, with all due respect, is going to assist any of us.

No Events found!