Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2015 20:00

Dell Venue 8 3840 Extremely Slow

I received the Venue 8 as a Christmas gift. I like the size and the screen and thought this was suppose to be decent in the speed department. However mine is extremely slow. Last night I didn't a half hour trying to scroll through facebook. After restarting the tablet, I spent another half hour trying to get to the Dell support page. When I push the back button it can take anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes for it to work. Any ideas on why it is so slow? Anything I can do? 

March 7th, 2016 12:00

Didn't help mine. I just spent around 20 minutes trying to see if an item on a website ...

I verified the solutions (there are two that helped me) through my own direct experience.

I have owned this tablet for more than a year and have had responsiveness issues with it since day one. The worst performance for me came from internet browsing. The stock internet browser often worked 'ok' for general browsing, but nowhere near as well as the browser on any of my android phones (Galaxy, HTC, Apple) or even my Kindle Fire. Google Chrome ran even worse and was completely unusable.

Beyond that, apps would often freeze, it took forever to switch between apps, and the only way I could use the tablet was to start it up and open the one app I wanted to use (Netflix, PDF viewer or Sketchbook), and absolutely nothing else. THEN I could use those single apps without issue.

When I came across this thread, the two solutions that made a marked difference for me were running the My Dell Diagnostic and the Developer Mode/limit background processes setting. When activated in that order the tablet became much faster in all operations - Chrome is still not as fast as on my phone or laptop, but overall in all apps and in general operation and responsiveness, the tablet runs 100% faster that it ever has in the life of the unit.

I'm not 100% positive that the Diagnostic tool directly fixed the problem, but the two in conjunction solved my issues.

Your results may vary by what you are attempting to do with the tablet and your expectations of how fast it 'should' be. No, it is still not the fastest tablet in current or past terms, but it does work much faster than before messing with these settings, therefore, the solution is verified by me for my unit.

2 Posts

March 7th, 2016 15:00

I tried it and it worked for a while but started slowing down again. I checked the background processes and it went back to default. I've stopped using it and only use my IPad now, problem solved!!!

June 7th, 2016 06:00

Hi STEVEM64.  I followed your recommendation and now my tablet is working excellent.  I use Opera as my main browser and it's light and fast.  Thank you very much for your help. Regards

June 9th, 2016 18:00

Hi. I folllowed your recomendation and the tablet is workiing great. Thank you very much.

1 Message

June 18th, 2017 19:00

thank you, it sure helped.  It is still not up to a good standard but it is  a lot better.

No Events found!