rodrigway
1 Copper

RE: Dell Venue 8 3840 Extremely Slow

Jump to solution

I had the first version of dell venue 8 and it had the same issue. Dell repaired it twice with the same results. Dell then replaced it with the second version of the Dell venue 8 and it does the same thing. I gave up on it for 6 months and then one day decided I decided to reset it to factory and only install Kodi to see if it would work OK at video streaming, it worked great. Then I installed chrome as my web browser and after browsing in chrome for a few minutes it started running slow again. It got slower and slower then stops responding to any commands through the touch screen, I would have to hold the power button to reboot it and after restarting it would work again but once I would go on the internet using chrome it would eventually do it again. I deleted chrome and guess what problem gone, re-installed chrome and problem comes back. Solution use the native web browser built into 4.4.4 (called " Browser"). Give it a try my Cell runs great now.

Frenchuser
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I bought a Venue 8 3840 and I have the same issue as all users. I found a solution. Go to Settings/System/About tablet. Click many times on BuildNumber to activate Developer more. Return to the main menu of Settings. Now, go to {Developer options}. In Background on process limit, choose No background process. The tablet should work fine now.

Best regards.

SteveM64
1 Copper

Jump to solution

FINALLY! The solution. I'm not sure if this has always been the case, since I just discovered that it works since the last firmware update, but here it is:  When you boot up the Venue 8 3840 (Android 4.4.4) the FIRST thing to do is open the "My Dell" diagnostic app, and run the self test (Quick Checkup). Then LEAVE IT OPEN and go about your other business on the tablet. The 3840 will then behave normally and not slow down. Mine has now been running for almost two weeks since its last boot, with four apps open including the Firefox browser, and is not showing any signs of slowing down or freezing up... Eureka!

ferrgg
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Wow!  I can't believe this!  That solution works!  To confirm I did what the user (2 posts above) suggested:

Go to Settings/System/About tablet. Click many times on BuildNumber to activate Developer more. Return to the main menu of Settings. Now, go to {Developer options}. In Background on process limit, choose No background process.  The tablet should work fine now.

I did that and the tablet is running just fine now.  I had purchased this for my 78 year old mother for Xmas 2014. At first it worked fine. She was using it just for Facebook and to read the daily paper. Then she started complaining that it would just freeze and she couldn't do anything.  I thought it was 'user error' honestly, but I spent some time recently trying to resolve the issue at her house to no avail, so I brought it home to try and troubleshoot.  I just feel so blessed that the users were all trying to share their solutions and I'm happy I was able to read their post. It seems that Dell could email out this solution to the registered users.  Good luck to anyone else having this problem. 

chevronrock
1 Copper

Jump to solution

The Developer mode/Background Processes solution is the game changer here, and the "My Dell" cleanup tool is very handy to be aware of as well.

Between the two of them this tablet has been completely reborn before my eyes, I never thought it would run this good! I just hope every owner of these neglected little bricks finds their way here someday...

0 Kudos
Rocketman16
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I sold mine and got a Surface 3.  I couldn't be more relieved.  Now I have a tablet that can type notes without crashing!!!

0 Kudos
chevronrock
1 Copper

Jump to solution

"ROCKETMAN16 WROTE:

I sold mine and got a Surface 3.  I couldn't be more relieved.  Now I have a tablet that can type notes without crashing!!!"

That's quite a jump! I only use my tab for viewing PDFs and a little doodling - for which it is fine, but I would definitely like to afford a surface...

0 Kudos
Rocketman16
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Well, I got the affordable $500 version instead of the Pro 3, since I already have a good laptop.  I really do not regret it at all 🙂 running full Windows 10 on such a light yet innovative device is amazing

0 Kudos
chevronrock
1 Copper

Jump to solution

They really are the best of both worlds... Someday... 😄

0 Kudos
TheHulga
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hope everything turned out well. I had similar problems as well but they resolved on their own. Silly technology.

0 Kudos