Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 17th, 2015 09:00

Dell Venue 8 7840 Headphone/Audio Jack Problem

My Venue 7840 arrived last week and I really like this thing. Today, I finally plugged some headphones into the 1/8" headphone jack and immediately heard a repeating "clicking" sound, quite loud and not affected by volume or muting. I quickly rebooted the tablet, then tried again in Airplane Mode. Same problem. Checked all my sound settings. Everything was normal (Bluetooth audio works fine). Tried another set of earbuds -- same problem.

Has anyone else ran into this? Is my headphone jack defective?

Thanks in advance.

3 Posts

February 17th, 2015 14:00

UPDATE! I figured out the problem. Issue resolved.

I'm using the Dell Folio that came as a bundle, and it made it so the headphones were connecting enough to play sound and "feel" like it was connected -- but it wasn't quite the case. The jack felt a little loose, so I gave the headphones a good shove and it snapped into place. No more clicking sound! I'm back to thoroughly enjoying my Venue 8.

Hope this helps someone else.

1 Message

March 5th, 2015 23:00

I had the same issue, and I was about to return the tablet.. because of the case, the headphones doesn't go in all the way... and you have to force it in...

Thanks for the tip.

cheers.

2 Posts

December 17th, 2015 02:00

I recently got the dell venue 8 7840.  I had no problem using a headphone. Today however sound would only come out thru the tablet speaker even when headphone is plugged in.  I tried another headphone but still same problem.  I removed the folio to make sure the headphone plug was all the way in.  Still same problem. Can someone give me some suggestions.  Should I just exchange this or buy another brand of table?

2 Posts

April 19th, 2016 08:00

I had the same problem, call Dell Tech support.  Reset the device (but used a different set of headphone), it was working fine after that.

However, a few days later, I used the same headphone that I had the problem with, and sound came thru the tablet speakers and not the headphone again, I tried another set of headphone and it worked fine.  So the RESET might not be necessary after all.

The weird thing is the "broken" headphone is still working fine on computer and other devices.

2 Posts

April 19th, 2016 20:00

Update:

I called Dell. They suggested i send back the tablet. Turns out it was a tablet problem and not a headphone problem.  Got a replacement tablet.  Seems different and has some problems but not major so I will just live with it - main thing is that i can listen thru headphones when out of the house so that I won't bother others.

3 Posts

May 1st, 2016 18:00

Audio with earphone issue - The moment earphone gets connected there's a continuous clicking sound which continues irrespective of the volume or muting. Rebooting the tablet, Airplane Mode and disabling MaxxAudio doesn't solve the problem. Tried another set of earphones -- same problem.

One more observation while pressing the Hold button on one of the earphone the clicking sound reduces.
BTW I'm not using any case and the earphones are connected properly.

No Events found!