Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

January 7th, 2016 14:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 No Camera after Windows 10 Upgrade

Hi Dell.  I upgraded to Windows 10, and, subsequently have no camera installed.   I get the error message "Something went Wrong.  Make sure your camera is connected and not being use by another app."   I have checked the privacy settings (all are ON).   There is no device driver for a camera in the Imaging item in Device Manager.   And, I can find no device driver on the Dell support website.    I have also run all of the diagnostic tests on the Dell support website.   And, I have install all current updates (application, BIOs, firmware, etc.)     Can you recommend an option to isolate the driver on your website so that I can install it?   Than kyou

32 Posts

January 8th, 2016 19:00

Hi Dell.  I upgraded to Windows 10, and, subsequently have no camera installed.   I get the error message "Something went Wrong.  Make sure your camera is connected and not being use by another app."   I have checked the privacy settings (all are ON).   There is no device driver for a camera in the Imaging item in Device Manager.   And, I can find no device driver on the Dell support website.    I have also run all of the diagnostic tests on the Dell support website.   And, I have install all current updates (application, BIOs, firmware, etc.)     Can you recommend an option to isolate the driver on your website so that I can install it?   Than kyou

I think all the drivers are in the .CAB file in the support and downloads area for your device.

Download and extract file then add device manually, pointing to the folder containing the extracted files for the driver.

Also a good idea to update chipset drivers while you are at it and any available BIOS updates.

3 Posts

January 19th, 2016 10:00

This also just happened to me.
There are no drivers available for download. Cab files or otherwise. 
I've scanned for driver updates using the dell driver update tool. It shows everything is up to date.
I've run the diagnostics tool on the dell support site on the camera. The message shows "we are unable to find the selected device."
The camera worked prior to the update. 
No camera devices show up in device manager.
There are no unknown devices in device manager.

Pretty stuck at this point.

3 Posts

January 19th, 2016 12:00

Installing the chipset drivers from the dell website fixed this for me.

7 Posts

January 19th, 2016 17:00

I followed all of these suggestions (I posted my saga in the other "camera not working under Win10" thread), have all the latest drivers / BIOS / Clean Win8.1 install prior to Win10 upgrade / etc., but still my camera does not work.  I can only conclude that the LATEST camera driver for the DV8P is "fickle" under Win10 and does not work consistently.  Thus, Dell / Intel needs to FIX THE CAMERA DRIVER so that it works consistently under Win10.  Every thing except the camera works fine under WIn10, which makes this so frustrating.  The camera not working is a show stopper for me.  Having Win10 threatening a 30-day expiration for the ability to go back to Win8.1 only rubs salt in this wound.

6 Posts

January 20th, 2016 08:00

Can anyone send me links to what should be updated and installed?    I have loaded and updated all of the possible options listed on the web site ---- and, the camera still does not work.     I'm hoping that I simply have not loaded the right things.    (For example, where are the correct CAB files?)     Thank you!

3 Posts

January 20th, 2016 09:00

I downloaded and installed the "Intel Atom Z3000 Series Driver" chipset drivers, and it fixed the problem for me.

Windows did complain that "I already had the newest one", so this may actually be a roll back. I did not confirm that, however. 

You have to do it manually by going to the dell support site, and use the "find it myself" tab. It's under the chipset drivers. If you use the support tool that will scan your system, it will tell you that you're up-to-date.
I've included a direct link here to the chipset drivers, but honestly you should never trust a link like this on the internet.

Chipset Drivers

6 Posts

January 20th, 2016 14:00

This is extremely helpful!    I was using the support tool....    I REALLY appreciate the clarification for where to find the chipsets.    Thank you again!   I'll try it.

915 Posts

January 20th, 2016 15:00

^ +1.

7 Posts

January 23rd, 2016 10:00

OK, I tried installing the "Intel Atom Z3000 Series Driver" as suggested (prior to doing this, I verified that my BIOS was at A11).  This DID NOT fix my camera problem. My BIOS remained at A11 through this update.

So I downloaded the A13 BIOS from Dell (file: 5830A13.exe) and installed that / verified my BIOS was updated to A13 in System Information.  Again, this DID NOT fix my camera problem.

I repeated the installation of the "Intel Atom Z3000 Series Driver" again, re-verified that my BIOS remained at A13.  Again, this DID NOT fix my camera problem.

Each and every time I attempted a change to my system, when I tried the Camera (via the Win10 "Camera" app), it would give the message "Something went wrong..........".  I KNOW that my camera HARDWARE is functional since it works FINE under Windows 8.1, both with the original installation, and again after restoring back to 8.1 after my first attempt to "upgrade" to Win10.

Again, I've tried every suggestion posted.  While I don't doubt that some of those suggestions work for some tablets, NONE of them worked for mine.  DELL / INTEL / MICROSOFT CONTINE TO LOSE CUSTOMER CONFIDENCE by their LACK of ability to fix the drivers for this Dell Venue 8 Pro so that the ***' CAMERA works under Win10 RELIABLY.

DELL SHOULD REMOVE THEIR CLAIM that the Dell Venue 8 Pro is "compatible" with Windows 10 until they can fix this problem!!!

32 Posts

January 24th, 2016 02:00

The Dell 5830 is fully compatible with Windows 10.

Updating your chipset won't affect your BIOS.

Dell advises, on the website in the download area for your product, the recommended sequence for installing drivers.

7 Posts

January 24th, 2016 19:00

Thanks for the feedback.  However, that is not intuitively obvious from any posts nor Dell's download site that Applications / Drivers / Firmware / BIOS must be installed in that particular order (your post is the first one I've read in the 4 weeks attempting this upgrade that hints that there is a specific sequence in which to install drivers/BIOS updates).

Here's the thing.  I've already installed the latest BIOS (A13) for this tablet.  Rolling it back to an older version (like what it was shipped with, which only god knows what version THAT was) is not even possible: I tried that, the BIOS upgrade executable gives a warning that "You have a later BIOS than you are attempting to install.  Dell does not recommend installing an older BIOS.  Click OK to quit." .............and gives NO other option.  How am up to now update everything else FIRST and the BIOS last?

So if what you say is true, it seems I've already "burnt that bridge" and now it is impossible to upgrade my DV8P to Win10 and have the camera to work?  If so, that is not an acceptable way for Dell / Intel / Microsoft to roll-out a Win10 upgrade:  All that was instructed when I started this saga was to "click the little Win10 upgrade button" and it said that it'd take care of everything and installed properly (including downloading any necessary updates in the process.....which I DID FOLLOW), NOT send me down a dark alley of random driver and BIOS updates and left to guess which combination of versions (AND NOW, SEQUENCE??) to go through to get Win10 to work PROPERLY on the DV8P.

I have a suggestion, why doesn't someone from Dell post a "sticky" or something that will be hard to miss in this "Support Community" that WARNS owners of DV8Ps that there is a specific set of steps to install specific updates that must be followed explicitly and in a specific sequence during this "Win 10 Upgrade" process in order to get it to work PROPERLY, otherwise they risk effectively BRICKING their tablet like what has apparently happened to mine?  This would surely go a LONG WAY to improving, rather than destroying, customer confidence in Dell's products.

32 Posts

January 25th, 2016 07:00

Microsoft will release new versions of it's operating system as and when. They don't tend to roll out releases that work on ALL devices off the bat. The amount of drivers required to do that would be astronomical, therefore it doesn't happen.

Only the most common devices will have native support in new releases of Windows. This has been the case for many years. It has always been up to the user to get new drivers for their device(s) from the manufacturers website. This instance is no different, regardless of Microsoft prompting you from within Windows 8.1 32 Pro to upgrade to Windows 10 and telling you it's ready and it will do it for you. That's Microsoft Bull and nothing to do with Dell. It is a lot of misleading *** built in to the install process to make it look nice.

For the small number of Dell tablet users worldwide, it's not cost effective to roll out a tailored release of Windows. But for those who want to take on the technical challenge, Dell have made ALL of the required drivers available, for this I cannot fault them. And the drivers are all where I would expect to find them.

Maybe Dell ought to create a step by step sticky, but people will still have issues.

dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dell-venue-8-pro/drivers/advanced

You should still be able to install Windows 10 32 Pro on your DV8P despite already upgrading your BIOS.

I would do the following

Reset to 8.1 32 Pro.
Install all available 8.1 32 Pro Updates, avoid installing Win10 until 8.1 Pro is fully updated.
Providing there are no files I want to keep, I would run disk clean up on C: and also clean up system files in the process. This will ensure maximum available space when upgrading.
I'd use the download tool to manually select Windows 10 32 Pro and save the extracted ISO to a USB Stick
I'd also download all of the Drivers and the .CAB files required for my device, and also save them to USB stick. (Personally I never bothered with the Dell Applications, just the drivers)
Then run the Windows 10 upgrade off the USB stick choosing not to download updates as I go.
Install all drivers from the Dell and Intel websites that I saved earlier to USB. Drivers that won't go on must be first uninstalled and then reinstalled. Missing devices can be added manually. The drivers are in the .CAB file.

Dell Command | Deploy Tablet Venue 8 Pro 5830 Win 10 Driver Pack
5830-win10-A00-KVFC4.CAB (84 MB)

** You can probably install your camera manually using the .CAB file right now to get your camera working. It's worth a try ** I have installed Windows 10 (clean - not an update to) a few times since updating the BIOS and it hasn't been a cause for concern ** If you already have a camera driver installed, uninstall and delete the driver and reinstall it manually. ** Also,

After getting all devices working I'd then run the Windows 10 updater to get the latest updates for Win 10.

There is nothing significantly different in this upgrade process that I wouldn't do when upgrading a customer's device. Admittedly, is it technical and isn't recommended for novices. But after doing it and getting it right you'll definitely be intermediate for sure.

** EDIT **

I would also run disk cleanup on C: at the end to free up much more disk space. You should be left with a fast and fully working installation of Windows 10. I would then seek to ensure I created a restore point before loading all of my apps

7 Posts

January 25th, 2016 17:00

THANK YOU for your detailed response, it is sincerely appreciated.  Also, thanks for your patience with me.  In case you couldn't tell, this process has been very aggravating.  Prior to tackling this DV8P, I "upgraded" two Win 7 laptops to Win 10 (one upgrade went smoothly, probably because I had recently performed a "clean restore" of Win 7 to fix a sudden USB port non-functioning problem, the other was more complex: I ended up performing a "clean restore" of Win 7 on that too before the Win 10 upgrade worked).  I was so impressed with Win 10 on those laptops that I bit the bullet and recently upgraded my old Vista desk top using a Win 10 Pro USB stick and doing a "clean install" to a new SSD.  WOW, that was like getting a brand new PC (although to be fair, I had previously upgraded the motherboard/RAM & power supply due to failures over the years).  Needless to say, I'm a big advocate of Win 10, and going back to Win 8.1 on the DV8P makes using it seem like a chore.

I will study your instructions in detail in the coming week, I've already "restored back" to Win 8.1 on the DV8P, so I'm part way there already.  I do have a couple of questions though:

If I were to use the Win 10 media creator tool to make a bootable USB and perform an "upgrade" on the DV8P, will Win 10 "activate" using the DV8P's Win 8.1 product key?  The reason I ask is that I had attempted to go this route with my one laptop (using a bootable DVD created w/ the Win 10 media creation tool) and while Win 10 installed OK, it was not "activated" after the install finished.  I attempted to use my Win 7 product key, but it was rejected.  This is what prompted me to try a "clean restore" of Win 7 and then attempting the Win 10 "upgrade", which worked.  Although to be honest, I may have initially attempted a "clean install" of Win 10 from the bootable DVD (rather than an "upgrade"), which I think requires a new Win 10 product key (my memory is a little fuzzy on what I went through on that laptop).  I'd rather not spend hours on the phone w/ MS support to explain my predicament if Win 10 doesn't activate on the DV8P (had to do that when I upgraded my MB on my desktop years ago and it wasn't a pleasant process).  My "safety net" for restoring my laptops if the HDs crashed is that I have already made Win 7 recovery DVDs for both, and have the bootable Win 10 DVD to get back up and running.  I dread the thought that once I successfully "upgrade" to Win 10 on the DV8P that I don't have a similar "safety net" to get back up and running in a year or so when MS stops offering the upgrades over the internet.  Is there a way to create a "Win 8.1 recovery media" (USB in this case) for the DV8P? If I knew I had such a safety net, I'd be less paranoid about trying various things and "bricking" the tablet.

Thanks again.

32 Posts

January 26th, 2016 03:00

I too like Windows 10. It runs great on everything I have put it on so far. One exception is an Acer 5633 WLMi which had a 128mb GeForce Go gfx card in it which didn't have any available Win 10 drivers on the Nvidia website. Windows 10 would have worked pretty good on that.

I understand your frustrations with, what should be, a straight forward process. I went through the same while trying to figure it out; I didn't let my anger at the situation deter me from succeeding.

To answer your questions;

For me, upgrading any earlier version of Windows to Windows 10 that was already activated remained activated. So Yes.

A clean install will require a fresh key. ITrevive sell licence keys but you have to wait for the sticker to arrive in the post. I've used them a few times. There are other ways but you must be resourceful 

Good luck.

11 Posts

September 17th, 2016 14:00

I also lost my camera after the Win 10 upgrade.  However, my Venue 8 Pro fails when attempting to install the Atom Z3000 drivers, negating the apparent solution to this problem.  Advice?

No Events found!