Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2013 19:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro - Mobile Broadband

I'm looking at the Venue 8 Pro, and it has all the main features I'm looking for.  However, on the configuration page, there seems to be an issue with the Mobile Broadband section.  It has "Not selected in this configuration" and no way to select anything to suggest that I will be getting this feature if I order.  I tried talking to a customer service rep about it.  They are just copy and pasting what's on the screen if you click "Help me Choose", which doesn't confirm that the base tablet as configured has the option already installed.  It seems very vague and confusing.  Can someone who is in the know give some more information on this?  Is this option currently available?  Will it be available in the future, and if so, can any info on the date be released? 

Thanks!

1 Message

October 24th, 2013 16:00

Im sorry to tell you that there is no mobile broadband option on the Dell Venue 8 Pro. The Dell Venue 11 Pro does have a mobile broadband option. 

3 Posts

October 25th, 2013 11:00

That's not entirely accurate.  The current listing for the Dell Venue 8 Pro in the Home section does not show the cellular option.  But a cellular option is expected for this device.  Dell's own spec sheet for the Venue 8 Pro clearly states the following two WWAN cards:

Wireless WAN Dell Wireless 5570E (HSPA+) Mobile Broadband

Dell Wireless 5808E (4G LTE/HSPA/EVDO) Mobile Broadband (available in USA only)

Only time will tell when these options are made available.

October 28th, 2013 08:00

Guess I'll be returning mine as I was clearly told in chat that it would have a sim slot and LTE radio. You guys have to educate your employees better.

29 Posts

October 29th, 2013 21:00

That's not entirely accurate.  The current listing for the Dell Venue 8 Pro in the Home section does not show the cellular option.  But a cellular option is expected for this device.  Dell's own spec sheet for the Venue 8 Pro clearly states the following two WWAN cards:

Wireless WAN Dell Wireless 5570E (HSPA+) Mobile Broadband

Dell Wireless 5808E (4G LTE/HSPA/EVDO) Mobile Broadband (available in USA only)

Only time will tell when these options are made available.

Man, that stinks.  That's the reason I was so hot to get one.  No LTE, no me.

15 Posts

November 5th, 2013 12:00

Hello JORDANMILLS and Steve_NYC,

Thank you for your interest in the Venue 8 Pro.  It will be available in a Mobile Broadband version in the near future.  As for an exact date, I do not have one.  I can only recommend checking back to the website often for updates in availability.

Dell Windows Tablets: http://dell.to/1hh4yNw

I wish I had more details!

-Don D

15 Posts

November 5th, 2013 13:00

Guess I'll be returning mine as I was clearly told in chat that it would have a sim slot and LTE radio. You guys have to educate your employees better.

Hello ScarDad,

I am terribly sorry to hear you received mis-information that resulted in an incorrect order. We have since educated our online team to understand the Mobile Broadband option will be released at a later date. Coming soon! Please check your invoice date as there is a limited return time and check our site often for the broadband availability.

http://dell.to/1hh4yNw

-Don D

November 10th, 2013 00:00

Im sorry to tell you that there is no mobile broadband option on the Dell Venue 8 Pro. The Dell Venue 11 Pro does have a mobile broadband option. 

The Venue 11 Pro is available for purchase now but doesn't have the mobile broadband option either. And when Dell does offer it as an option it appears that one would have to choose AT&T as a service provider which is a deal killer as well. I gotta have T-Mobile.

29 Posts

November 12th, 2013 06:00

[quote user="bamboozledguy"]

The Venue 11 Pro is available for purchase now but doesn't have the mobile broadband option either. And when Dell does offer it as an option it appears that one would have to choose AT&T as a service provider which is a deal killer as well. I gotta have T-Mobile.

[/quote]It looks like it's available now.  But it's ATT only.  It should be trivial to unlock the card.  If it's not on contract with ATT, they're required to provide the pin to you at no cost (but you'll usually have to complain to the FCC to get a boot up their butt.

So if I type "butt" without masking, it converts it to "***" making it look like I said something else. The first time, I didn't notice this and I got hate mail from the forum admins telling me not to use character substitutions. I didn't.

1 Message

November 12th, 2013 14:00

Where do you see that it's available? Not anywhere from what I can see.

November 18th, 2013 09:00

Any word on the "coming soon" date?

15 Posts

November 27th, 2013 18:00

Hi Don,

I noticed while reading the specs for the Venue 8 Android version that they mention a 3FF SIM slot, even though this option is not yet available. When an LTE radio is available, will Dell have an upgrade path for early adopters who bought the Wi-Fi version today, since mobile versions are not yet available? In other words, will there be a way for someone who buys a Venue 8 Android Wi-Fi version today to upgrade/install a WWAN card and upgrade it to 3g/4g LTE? Or will the mobile cellular radio be built in to motherboard? Note that I'm interested in the Android version being sold today, not the Pro with Windows 8. If you could ask engineering, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Hey PtaWeston,

The Mobile broadband versions of the Dell Venue 7 & 8, will have the slots necessary to install a SIM card.  However, the WIFI versions do not have this slot.  There is also not a way to upgrade a WIFI version to be Mobile broadband.  They are actually different models with different motherboards.

Some thing else which may confuse Venue 8 Pro and Venue 11 Pro owners. The Venue 8 Pro running Windows 8, will only have a SIM slot if it is the mobile broadband version only.  The WIFI version will not have the slot or a path to upgrade.  The Venue 11 Pro on the other hand will have the SIM slot regardless of model.  Unfortunately on the WIFI only version, the slot is non-functional and not upgradeable. Only the mobile broadband Venue 11 Pro, will have a functioning SIM slot.

In know this is not your ideal but, as they are different models, the boards have different functions and features.

-Don D

5 Posts

November 27th, 2013 18:00

Hi Don,

I noticed while reading the specs for the Venue 8 Android version that they mention a 3FF SIM slot, even though this option is not yet available. When an LTE radio is available, will Dell have an upgrade path for early adopters who bought the Wi-Fi version today, since mobile versions are not yet available? In other words, will there be a way for someone who buys a Venue 8 Android Wi-Fi version today to upgrade/install a WWAN card and upgrade it to 3g/4g LTE? Or will the mobile cellular radio be built in to motherboard? Note that I'm interested in the Android version being sold today, not the Pro with Windows 8. If you could ask engineering, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

5 Posts

November 28th, 2013 11:00

Thank you for the prompt and honest reply.

5 Posts

November 29th, 2013 06:00

I would like to know if we can expect to buy the Dell Venue Tablets series  with Mobile Broadband  and GPS for windows versions before the end of the year.

Sincerely yours,

5 Posts

November 29th, 2013 06:00

Dear DELL-Don D,

I would like to know if the Dell Wireless 5808E (3G / HSPA) Mobile Broadband Card have embedded GPS.

If no, can i buy a Dell Venue Pro 8 with GPS?

Thanks in advance

No Events found!